our genoa is a goner

  • mkinnunen1957
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 16, 2007
      Hello All,

      Our genoa is on the way to the seamstress for repair of a big old rip along the leech and
      into the fabric. Seems as though we'll be limping along with it even after repair.

      Can anyone suggest where we might find a new sail fast and reasonably priced? Even a
      good used sail will work.

      Thanks!

      Mary and Jeff
      Revision
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
        Re: [capri26] our genoa is a goner Mary:
            Our local dealer, Strictly Sail has a new Catalina110 that came off a new C-26 that got a 150 with roller furling at time of purchase. You might try them. Go to “www.Strictlysailinc.com” they have a section on used and new sails. The owner is Steve Tacy. Bob Smith is also one of the main people and a J24 racer. (phone number is 513-984-1907).
            If you have roller furling, this will make it more difficult as normally the sail has to be cut flatter so it will furl properly. If you are looking at the various used sail sites, you should use the basic dimensions. The biggest genoa per class rules is one with a luff of 32’11” and a LP of 13.56’. Roller furling sometimes will shorten the Luff dimension.

        Good luck, let me know what you find.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
          Re: [capri26] our genoa is a goner Mary and Bob:

          I took your recent information and used it for the next Tech Article. Attached is copy of the draft sent to the Mainsheet. I also added the photo Bob sent of his new mainsail. Nice job!!

          Thanks for all your input!!

          On 6/16/07 6:29 PM, "mkinnunen1957" <iceout@...> wrote:

          Hello All,

          Our genoa is on the way to the seamstress for repair of a big old rip along the leech and
          into the fabric. Seems as though we'll be limping along with it even after repair.

          Can anyone suggest where we might find a new sail fast and reasonably priced? Even a
          good used sail will work.

          Thanks!

          Mary and Jeff
          Revision

        • Mary Kinnunen and Jeff Eaton
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
            Hey Bob,

            Love the measurements but help me out. Our boat is equipped with a 4/6
            CDI Flexible Furler with a 150% genoa. Are the dimensions you gave good
            for a furler system? Will give the Strictly Sail Inc folks a call first
            thing tomorrow.

            Thanks!

            Mary

            PS. Jeff is my husband. I haven't dated a Bob in a long time.

            On Jun 17, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Bob Unkel wrote:

            > Mary and Bob:
            >
            > I took your recent information and used it for the next Tech Article.
            > Attached is copy of the draft sent to the Mainsheet. I also added the
            > photo Bob sent of his new mainsail. Nice job!!
            >
            > Thanks for all your input!!
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Bob Unkel
            >

            > On 6/16/07 6:29 PM, "mkinnunen1957" <iceout@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Hello All,
            >>
            >> Our genoa is on the way to the seamstress for repair of a big old
            >> rip along the leech and
            >> into the fabric. Seems as though we'll be limping along with it even
            >> after repair.
            >>
            >> Can anyone suggest where we might find a new sail fast and
            >> reasonably priced? Even a
            >> good used sail will work.
            >>
            >> Thanks!
            >>
            >> Mary and Jeff
            >> Revision
            >>

            > <C 26 Tech Article Jun 07.doc>
          • Bob White
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007

              I have no idea how a furling main would work for applying numbers.
              B W

[...]

            • Ted and Judy Schwink
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
                In 2002 I bought a Genoa from Steve Swenson at Ullman Sails in CA. He is just up the road from Catalina and knows correct dimensions . If you have a roller furling , tell him what it is  and he will cut accordingly. ullmanventura@...  phone 805-644-9579 Not sure if this contact info is still correct.
                Ted

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007

                  Thanks for this useful information.  I too have a CDI furler but I’m sure the jib on it is only 100%.   I frown in consternation each time my friend in his 26 foot Ranger sails rings around me with his boat. (Maybe the 1,000 lbs of RV type stuff in the boat has something to do with it.

                     I have two cabin top winches which I am guessing excludes me from the big genoa game.   Am I off track here?    Could I purchase a big furling Genoa and fairlead it to my cabin top winches?       Would I have to put a set of Genoa Cars on  the outboard decks?    This would make some interesting tech article fodder and I would be curious how many hulls came with 4 winches, vs my Two on the cabin top.      Any idea what it would take to retrofit two winches on the top of the cockpit coaming?

                  And yes Mr. Unkle,  you are right about most of us needing to get a fresh set of sheets.      Thanks.

                  Jim

                  Tiburon/Hull 131

                  In 2002 I bought a Genoa from Steve Swenson at Ullman Sails in CA. He is just up the road from Catalina and knows correct dimensions . If you have a roller furling , tell him what it is  and he will cut accordingly. ullmanventura@ worldnet. att.net  phone 805-644-9579 Not sure if this contact info is still correct.

                  Ted

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
                    Well, if a few of us are ready to buy new sails perhaps we could
                    contact a company such as Ullman Sails that Ted mentioned and see if we
                    can get a deal!

                    Jim, we use a CDI Flexible Furler 4/6 with a 150% Genoa. The boat came
                    equipped with 4 winches and we typically use the ones aft.

                    Thanks everyone for your replies. Good to know our pain may spur others
                    to action.

                    Mary

                  • Stan Buck
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007

                      I too am in the market for a new furling genoa – in fact I have a quote on a “kit” from SailRite (www.sailrite.com) for $500 but then I’m going to have to pay someone around $400+ to sew it together!

                      align=baseline>

                          Stan Buck

                          Pastor, Sonrise Church

                          www.sonriseumc.org

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
                        On 6/17/07 1:23 PM, "Mary Kinnunen and Jeff Eaton" <iceout@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hey Bob,
                        >
                        > Love the measurements but help me out. Our boat is equipped with a 4/6
                        > CDI Flexible Furler with a 150% genoa. Are the dimensions you gave good
                        > for a furler system? Will give the Strictly Sail Inc folks a call first
                        > thing tomorrow.
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Mary
                        >

                        > PS. Jeff is my husband. I haven't dated a Bob in a long time.
                        >
                        > On Jun 17, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Bob Unkel wrote:
                        >
                        >> Mary and Bob:
                        >>
                        >> I took your recent information and used it for the next Tech Article.
                        >> Attached is copy of the draft sent to the Mainsheet. I also added the
                        >> photo Bob sent of his new mainsail. Nice job!!
                        >>
                        >> Thanks for all your input!!
                        >>
                        >> Regards,
                        >>
                        >> Bob Unkel
                        >>

                        >> On 6/16/07 6:29 PM, "mkinnunen1957" <iceout@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >>> Hello All,
                        >>>
                        >>> Our genoa is on the way to the seamstress for repair of a big old
                        >>> rip along the leech and
                        >>> into the fabric. Seems as though we'll be limping along with it even
                        >>> after repair.
                        >>>
                        >>> Can anyone suggest where we might find a new sail fast and
                        >>> reasonably priced? Even a
                        >>> good used sail will work.
                        >>>
                        >>> Thanks!
                        >>>
                        >>> Mary and Jeff
                        >>> Revision
                        >>>

                        >> <C 26 Tech Article Jun 07.doc>
                        Mary and Jeff:

                        I have no information about our furling system. My thought is that the
                        dimensions will be less for the Luff dimension as the furling gear (the drum
                        and the upper bearing) takes up some of the same luff space. I suspect you
                        will have to provide a measured dimension to the sailmaker. I know when I
                        bought my sails from North that I had to provide actual dimensions. Since
                        you also have furling system the luff cannot have the traditional sail
                        hanks.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
                          Re: [capri26] our genoa is a goner Jim:
                              We only have the two cabin top winches on Impulsive. I use a snatch block attached to the forward post of the stern pulpit, mine has a small bail welded to the bottom of it. I also installed a 6 foot length of track on the deck just where it makes the transition from the cabin to the deck. You don’t need a second set of winches to fly a Genoa, just the track.
                              Thanks for the suggestion for an article. I will take some more pictures and use it for a future article.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 25, 2007
                              I bought a 150% two years ago from North Sails. The service was good
                              but I do not know if it was worth the extra money. All the North
                              sails (execpt racing sails)are made at one loft out of the country.
                              My leech was blown out also.