Wheel Question

  • cavelamb
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2009

      I have kind of a dumb question for those of you who have wheel steering...

      Can you rotate the rudder all the way around like the tiller can?

      --

      Richard Lamb

    • Stephen M. Hollingsworth
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2009

        No, you cannot.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2009
          it has stops.

          Jan & Rich B

          I have kind of a dumb question for those of you who have wheel steering...

          Can you rotate the rudder all the way around like the tiller can?

          --

          Richard Lamb

          http://www.home. earthlink. net/~cavelamb/

        • cavelamb
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 13, 2009

            Ok, but where are the stops?
            I went down in the basement looking for them and found nothing but solid fiberglass tube
            for the rudder post to sit in...

            JAN.RICH wrote:

            it has stops.

            Jan & Rich B

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2009
              Typically there is a "Sector Quadrant" on top of the rudder post to which cables that go to the wheel are attached. The two cables on this quadrant will limit the travel.  On the Capri 26's that I have seen with a wheel, the 'roof' above the aft berth is lowered a couple of inches to provide room for the cables etc. The quadrant should be on top of the tube unless there is some other special wheel mechanism.

              Bob
              On Dec 13, 2009, at 9:53 PM, cavelamb wrote:

              Ok, but where are the stops?
              I went down in the basement looking for them and found nothing but solid fiberglass tube
              for the rudder post to sit in...

              JAN.RICH wrote:

              it has stops.

              Jan & Rich B

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 13, 2009
                Thank you, Bob.
                I think I have the picture now.

                A fellow had offered me a steering pedestal, binnacle, and wheel.
                I was wondering if it would be a straight forward install, or more involved.
                I think I'll stick with my trusty stick.

                Richard

                Bob Unkel wrote:

                Typically there is a "Sector Quadrant" on top of the rudder post to which cables that go to the wheel are attached. The two cables on this quadrant will limit the travel.  On the Capri 26's that I have seen with a wheel, the 'roof' above the aft berth is lowered a couple of inches to provide room for the cables etc. The quadrant should be on top of the tube unless there is some other special wheel mechanism.

                Bob
                On Dec 13, 2009, at 9:53 PM, cavelamb wrote:

                Ok, but where are the stops?
                I went down in the basement looking for them and found nothing but solid fiberglass tube
                for the rudder post to sit in...

                JAN.RICH wrote:

                it has stops.

                Jan & Rich B

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 13, 2009
                  Richard:
                  The ones I have seen took almost 4 inches of space from the clearance above the aft berth. You had to be a skinny midget who didn't want to turn over to still use the aft berth.

                  Bob

                  Bob Unkel wrote:

                  Typically there is a "Sector Quadrant" on top of the rudder post to which cables that go to the wheel are attached. The two cables on this quadrant will limit the travel.  On the Capri 26's that I have seen with a wheel, the 'roof' above the aft berth is lowered a couple of inches to provide room for the cables etc. The quadrant should be on top of the tube unless there is some other special wheel mechanism.

                  Bob
                  On Dec 13, 2009, at 9:53 PM, cavelamb wrote:

                  Ok, but where are the stops?
                  I went down in the basement looking for them and found nothing but solid fiberglass tube
                  for the rudder post to sit in...

                  JAN.RICH wrote:

                  it has stops.

                  Jan & Rich B

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 14, 2009
                    They are epoxied to the bottom of the swim platform.  I also have the diesel and it is tight between the quadrant and the tank.

                    Jan & Rich B

                    Typically there is a "Sector Quadrant" on top of the rudder post to which cables that go to the wheel are attached. The two cables on this quadrant will limit the travel.  On the Capri 26's that I have seen with a wheel, the 'roof' above the aft berth is lowered a couple of inches to provide room for the cables etc. The quadrant should be on top of the tube unless there is some other special wheel mechanism.

                    Bob
                    On Dec 13, 2009, at 9:53 PM, cavelamb wrote:

                    Ok, but where are the stops?
                    I went down in the basement looking for them and found nothing but solid fiberglass tube
                    for the rudder post to sit in...

                    JAN.RICH wrote:

                    it has stops.

                    Jan & Rich B

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 14, 2009

                    Richard

                    I installed a wheel about 4 years ago and love it. It was a only weekend project but I agree with Bob, you will have to spend some time on your back in the rear berth to install the quadrant. You will also need a helping hand to drop the rudder to install the stuffing box (see attachment) but besides for that, it’s a one guy job. Not too tough and pretty straight forward. If I can get out to the boat over the next month, I would be happy to take some pics and all my notes from the project.

                    Stephen

                    Bob Unkel wrote:

                    Typically there is a "Sector Quadrant" on top of the rudder post to which cables that go to the wheel are attached. The two cables on this quadrant will limit the travel.  On the Capri 26's that I have seen with a wheel, the 'roof' above the aft berth is lowered a couple of inches to provide room for the cables etc. The quadrant should be on top of the tube unless there is some other special wheel mechanism.

                    Bob

                    On Dec 13, 2009, at 9:53 PM, cavelamb wrote:

                    Ok, but where are the stops?
                    I went down in the basement looking for them and found nothing but solid fiberglass tube
                    for the rudder post to sit in...

                    JAN.RICH wrote:

                    it has stops.

                    Jan & Rich B

                    Message 10 of 10 , Dec 14, 2009
                      Stephen M. Hollingsworth wrote:

                      Richard

                      I installed a wheel about 4 years ago and love it. It was a only weekend project but I agree with Bob, you will have to spend some time on your back in the rear berth to install the quadrant. You will also need a helping hand to drop the rudder to install the stuffing box (see attachment) but besides for that, it’s a one guy job. Not too tough and pretty straight forward. If I can get out to the boat over the next month, I would be happy to take some pics and all my notes from the project.

                      Stephen

                      Do it, Stephen.
                      That would be a very helpful addition to the group site.

                      --

                      Richard Lamb