Re: [capri26] Trailering a Capri

  • R Agar
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 17, 2009
      If you can use a crane to launch, consider a trailer with bunks or pads
      supporting the boat. If you have to launch on a ramp, a roller trailer
      makes a big difference. I used a 64 roller EZLoader from a Sea Ray 27 that
      I modified by adding pylons to raise the roller sets up from their motor
      boat position. I had a friendly local steel fabricator to provide the pylon
      parts (coordinated by a Catalina 28 owner) and bolted everything together
      with good results. I also added an adjustable keel support, all with bolted
      construction so I could adjust for a good fit. Tongue weight was a light
      150 pounds or so with very stable trailing. With a wing keel, my Capri 26
      sat low enough that I could easily reach the gunwhale from the ground. The
      rollers tend to self-center the boat so that in 15 years, I only had to make
      one second trip onto the trailer in a severe cross-wind to end up with the
      boat centered.

      With the rollers, I could ease the boat back enough on the trailer to bottom
      paint and then pull it forward to paint the roller spots. (I used a cable
      come-along and a strap around the bow of the boat to ease it back. The
      trailer winch could easily pull the boat forward into the bow stop.)

      Last I heard, EZ Loader did not want to provide trailers for sailboats so
      you may need to do the pylons and keel support yourself. Folks who trailer
      a lot have had better luck upgrading to disc brakes rather than drum brakes.
      You do need the back-up solenoid and wiring or have to reverse the trailer
      light plug and use the parking lights to prevent the brakes from locking as
      you back up.

      Rick Agar
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 18, 2009

        My trailer weighed in at about 1,500 pounds.