RE: [capri26] To list or not too list?

  • Jim Long
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 11, 2009

      Now THERE’s an idea!    Got any spare?

      From: capri26@yahoogroups.com [mailto:capri26@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of splets@...
      Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 07:58
      To: capri26@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [capri26] To list or not too list?

      Have you thought of just sealing all the port side compartments and filling them with helium? Or tying a weather balloon to the port lifeline?

      From: cavelamb
      Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:46:18 -0500
      To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>

      Jim Long wrote:

      There are three Barbell weights jammed in the void space behind the starboard Setee. (Sorry I didn’t look at how much weight) but even with this, and all tanks full, the Tiburon lists about 40

      I too have gotten used to this and tell others at the marina that this is an undocumented feature that lends personality to the Capri 26.   I’m not a racer, (Way too much stuff in the boat for that) and have my outboard on the Port side.   Agreed it would be a project to move the backstay and motor bracket.   SO, I’ll live with the list.

      I WAS entertaining cutting a hole in the little seat next to the pilot berth and cooler as that seems like 3cu feet of wasted space.   Has anyone used that space?

      I picked up a cheapie weight set at Academy last night.
      115 pounds for $49.
      Plastic coated 25 pound disks.

      Now - off to the boat!

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 11, 2009
        Jim:
        Someone a long time ago sent me some photos of a door they had added to the front of this space and turned it into additional storage. I think it was in one of my early tech articles, but unfortunately, I think it is long gone before I put the bulfalo back up system on my computer.  That person had also put a shelf into the vertical space just behind the pottie area and below the shelf.  I will have to see if I can find it in one of the old Mainsheet magazines.

        Bob

        From: Artstree@aol. com
        Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:33:24 -0400
        To: <capri26@yahoogroups .com>

        Unless you are into racing and/or high performance, I would not worry with the off balance. Although the boat is a cruiser it is not so big that a persons weight has no affect on the balance of the boat (i.e. hiking out). Just shifting my weight from port to starboard takes care of most of my needs for balance. However there are a couple of things that can help:

        1) Keep your fresh water tank (starboard) full and the waste tank (port) empty.
        2) Add an additional freshwater tank to the starboard side.
        3) Even when just at the dock keep bottled water, beer, wine, and margaritas in the cooler. I keep the lid off the cooler when not aboard but I still keep the essentials in there. A warm beer is better than no beer at all.
        4) Store your tool box and other maintenance goodies to starboard
        5) Invite two young girls in bikinis aboard to hike out to starboard when needed. Of course with them on board you may forget all about whether the boat is balanced or not.

        Art Harden
        CCSA Commodore
        Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
        937.885.9380 (o)
        937.477.5544 (m)

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 12, 2009

          I’m going to hunt for a nice Teak door to put in there.  I was more thinking of finding a piece of Teak that I could shape to the size of the seat, cut a hole in the top of that space (A – LA under the setee style) because there is ALWAYS junk in the space at your feet between the ladder and that back setee (Shoes, cooler, etc etc.)   I was thinking of storing foul weather gear in there (Which is now under the cockpit bunk and hard to get to when you need it in a hurry, or even SHOE storage J   )

          If I decide to do it,  I’ll make a tech article about it.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 12, 2009
            Sounds good!

            From: "Jim Long"
            Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 06:38:18 -0700