Tiller Tamer

  • sbuckfw
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2007
      I'm curious if anyone has installed a tiller tamer to assist in single-
      handed sailing. I also wonder if a tiller extension could be rigged to
      function as a tiller tamer instead?

      I bought my Capri 26 last summer and look forward to a full summer of
      sailing - but don't want to go in circles when I'm by myself and want
      to leave the cockpit for a few moments!

      Stan Buck
      Fort Wayne, Indiana
    • Jim Long
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2007

        I purchased a tiller extension and drilled a large hole in the end of my Tiller to accommodate it.   It did make single handing much easier and it was exactly the right length to set down in the cockpit well (to Leeward) so that the tiller would balance.    Then I could move around the boat  (But you could unbalance pretty easily with your body weight).   So I stopped using it and filled in the hole with putty.    It was a pretty low cost solution and I imagine you could easily make a mount for the end of the extension to hold it steady.

        I purchased an Autopilot (ST1000 Raymarine) that I found on Ebay for about $420.00 and have used that for the past couple of years.    The unit keeps me on track well enough that I can go up to the bow pulpit and stand there for a long time.    I have it attached to the starboard side of the cockpit with the power plug installed in the starboard rear coaming.     It pulls the tiller to starboard very well, however I had to get a 2” extension on the end of the piston to get the full radius to port.     http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/ProductDetail.asp?page=87&product_id=193&section=2

        There is a good shop in San Diego (Downwind Sailing on Canon Street – Shelter Island ) that has all of the tiller extensions from ½” to 4”.  I don’t know if they have a website or not.    (I bought a 4” one originally but that would not pull back enough to starboard).   Anyway,  I put the whole contraption in a fender cover (With one end stitched up) and that seems to keep all of the parts organized in a neat bag.    (I’m sure a new one would come with a bag, but mine was an EBAY find.        A Brand new Raymarine ST1000 can be had for about 500 bucks if you search the internet.   Here’s a place advertising one for $393  http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online_superstore/electronics/autopilots/st1000ap.htm?E+scstore   (That’s less than I paid on EBAY!!!!)

        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2007
          Re: [capri26] Tiller Tamer On 5/8/07 10:20 PM, "sbuckfw" <stan@...> wrote:

          I'm curious if anyone has installed a tiller tamer to assist in single-
          handed sailing.  I also wonder if a tiller extension could be rigged to
          function as a tiller tamer instead?

          I bought my Capri 26 last summer and look forward to a full summer of
          sailing - but don't want to go in circles when I'm by myself and want
          to leave the cockpit for a few moments!

          Stan Buck
          Fort Wayne, Indiana

          Stan:
              I sure understand the problem, especially with the mainsheet on the cabin top. I have looked at Tiller tamers and think it would work fine. We have a nice Tiller Extension that is a “D” handle with a push button extension mechanism. I will see if I can find a photo of it. Found it at West Marine in Marathon Fl. I can jam it into the cockpit seatback for a short time. When we took the boat to Lake Michigan, I added an autopilot which works well. I can go forward and change sails with it working. Before we added it, I put on a “Downhaul” on the jib halyard that runs to the cockpit. I can pull down the genoa from the cockpit in a good blow without having to go forward. Hope this helps.

        • sbuckfw
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2007
            My Thanks to Bob & Jim for the feedback - I'm enjoying this new forum
            for questions about the Capri 26!

            Here in northern Indiana - it's about that time - weather permitting -
            my sailing season will begin this weekend!!

            Let's go sailing!!