Front Hatch?

  • Richard Lamb
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
      I had a wonderful time out in the boat this weekend.
      We went out Friday and came back Sunday night.
      The lake was a mad house with all the extra traffic.

      The only down point was that the front hatch cracked.

      Bummer!

      It has an opaque fabric cover over it to keep the heat down.
      Someone stepped on it and reported it felt funny, so I took a
      closer look.

      The plastic cracked from port lower corner to mid way
      up the starboard side.

      It doesn't look repairable (the plastic part anyway),
      but can the plastic be replaced? Or does the whole hatch
      have to be changed?

      Richard
    • Unkel@fuse.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
        Contact Lewmar and see if they have replacement part. I think they made the hatch.
        Bob Unkel

        Sent from my iPod

        On Jul 6, 2009, at 2:14 PM, "Richard Lamb" <cavelamb@...> wrote:

        I had a wonderful time out in the boat this weekend.
        We went out Friday and came back Sunday night.
        The lake was a mad house with all the extra traffic.

        The only down point was that the front hatch cracked.

        Bummer!

        It has an opaque fabric cover over it to keep the heat down.
        Someone stepped on it and reported it felt funny, so I took a
        closer look.

        The plastic cracked from port lower corner to mid way
        up the starboard side.

        It doesn't look repairable (the plastic part anyway),
        but can the plastic be replaced? Or does the whole hatch
        have to be changed?

        Richard

      • Bruce Spletstoser
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
          The replacement is available at Catalina Direct.

          Splets

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009

          The original owner of Wild Hare” installed a flexible prop shat damper between the transmission output flange and the prop shaft flange.  It is shown as the red device in the attached photo. The black line from its front to rear is just to line up the 12” x 7 pitch RH two blade prop with the strut for efficient sailing.

          Does anyone have experience with such a coupler?

          I have a couple of questions about it.

          1.       What is the value of this plastic device between the trans output flange and the prop shaft drive flange?

          2.       Can, or should it be left in place during alignment check/adjustments, removed or replaced with a metallic disk of similar thickness?

          Len Cole

          “Wild Hare” # 258

          818-252-3766

          Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
            Len:

            My opinion is that it was added to try to reduce vibration and noise.  Industrial couplings often have an insert for these purposes.  My first question is if they moved the shaft further aft to accommodate the additional thickness of the spacer  or did they cut off the shaft?   I suspect that someone added this to the existing coupling and just moved the shaft further aft. I can't see in the photo but do the bolts go all the way through or are their different bolts for each side?

            As for alignment, I would check it with and without the spacer.  The procedure is to loosen the connection and see what difference there is at side to side and top and bottom between the surfaces of the coupling.  You should check it in the water. You don't want more than a few thousands of an inch difference and you can use a feeler gage to check it.

            Just one persons opinion. Art and others may have  additional thoughts.

            Bob Unkel

            Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2009

              Bob,

              I am not at the boat yet but I believe that there are 4 bolts through all both flanges and the spacer.  With that arrangement it is not meant to shatter to preserve the drive train but must only be to absorb torsion and vibration.  I will remove the spacer to and polish the shaft before moving the exposed section into the packing gland to mate the surfaces and adjust engine position.  The boat is in the water and rig is set up.  Thanks for your input.

              Len Cole