Re: Washdown pump

  • mshoc28306
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 11, 2009
      I've posted photos of the wash down pump install in the OASIS photo folder on the Yahoo page.

      Mark
      OASIS

    • Artstree@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 11, 2009
        Mark:

        Your pics look great. I hope I can do as well when I get mine installed. A couple of points regarding your installation:
        • The pump lines appear to be 1/2". The unit I have is 3/4" and may be a little heavier unit.
        • With the unit installed in the locker it would be above the anti-siphon valve on the head intake line. This could have caused a reduction in the suction capacity of the pump. With the pump installed in the head, it is closer to the water line and, it requires a lot less suction to prime the pump.
        Overall still a clean installation. Nice job.

        Art Harden
        CCSA Commodore
        Sea Belle - Capri 26 #151
        937.477.5544 (m)
      • millerd205@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
          Bruce,

          You may have solved the bildge prump installation problem for me. I purchased the Whale Urchin pump 5 weeks ago and still have not figured out the best installation. What you did looks good. I have just a couple of questions:
          1) What thickness is the acrylic? The bulkhead is I" thick and the pump installation instructions said that the maximun wall thickness is 1".
           2) Did you mount the pump with the pump diaphragm turned down or turned up?
          3) When you used the Rotozip to cut out the hole did you make it 3 1/2 " per the instructions. I have a hole saw that size.
          Thanks,
          Don Miller
          Greenville,SC

          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
            Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
              Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
                Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
                  Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
                    Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

                  • capri26owner@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 16, 2009

                      Art,

                      The 1/2" hose was what I had on hand and was the minimum recommended size for the pump. It is smaller than the 5/8" line used for the head intake where I placed the tee. I'd check your pump's manual for the hose size needed. When the pump was installed in the cockpit locker, I had a hose that was tossed over the stern into the water for the intake. There were a number problems with this setup. The most significant was the lack of water pressure. The pump's datasheet claims it can self prime up to  6-ft above the water. A lot energy is spent drawing the water up to the. pump reducing pressure. In the new location, lower to the water line, I can spray down the bow from the cockpit, or use it as a water cannon to scare off any unwelcome visitors. :)

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 17, 2009
                        I like the water Cannon idea. It would be good to fend off the sea-do's

                        Art Harden
                        CCSA Commodore
                        Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
                        937.885.9380 (o)
                        937.477.5544 (m)

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 8, 2009
                          Bob, did you get a chance to follow up on this?
                          It would sure be a nice to have item.

                          Richard

                          Bob Unkel wrote:

                          Not that I can find at the moment. We made the cover ourselves many years ago and to be honest, I think it is about time to replace it.  I will take some measurements. Maybe  we can get someone to make up several at once which would save us all a little money.

                          Bob
                          On Jun 8, 2009, at 2:17 PM, dredskinman wrote:

                          --

                          Richard Lamb

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 10, 2009
                            I have to admit I forgot to get the measurements, I will take tape with me to the lake this week-end.  Sorry about that!

                            Bob

                            http://www.home. earthlink. net/~cavelamb/