Re: [capri26] Washdown pump

  • splets@cox.net
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 9, 2009
      Boy you must have a great marina to help out monitoring your alarm. If I had an alarm on my boat, both of my batteries would be dead from sounding off the alarm long before my marina would even notice!!!

      My washdown pump uses the intake thru hull for the diesel with a tee. The pump is mounted to the backside of the gas tank locker and a hose bib was out in the locker with a waterproof switch. The unit has very little pressure, it sounds like a good project relocate the pump to a lower location!

      From: capri26owner
      Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 23:49:05 -0400
      To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [capri26] Washdown pump

      Art,

      Last season I moved my wash down pump from the aft port locker to the back wall of the closet in the head. The pump works much better being lower in the boat and allows for extra space in the locker. I installed a water outlet fitting in the locker to attach the hose. ( I used the washdown outlet made by Whitecap and sold at BoatersWorld (part#357990. 027), you'll find this is 1/3 the price of the Perko model sold at West Marine.) For the water inlet, I installed a tee-flitting  in the head intake hose. You will want to add a check valve in the line to the wash down pump to prevent siphoning when you use the head. I also added a small inline screen filter for the wash down pump  I have a few photos I will post on the Yahoo page in the next couple of days.

      This was my project last season. For this season, I just finished installing a boat alarm system. After being broken into last year, I decided to add the alarm. The best feature of the alarm is a deck pressure sensor which activates when stepping on the cockpit floor. This is in addition to the magnetic sensors on the lockers and hatch. I like the pressure sensor because it activates before the thief has a chance to damage any of the fiberglass while prying the locks. I think the alarm system has some additional neat features. If anyone is interested, the alarm manufacture has a web site at www.boatalarm. com. I can also provide additional installation details if there is interest.

      Mark Shockey
      "OASIS"

      From:Artstree@aol. com
      Date:June 8, 2009 2:50:43 PM EDT
      To:capri26@yahoogroups .com

      I have a new wash down pump that I am in the process of installing in the port settee locker (lazarette). I have selected the location and plumbing routing but I though I would inquire as to other possible location and evaluate the plusses and minuses of them.

      Art Harden
      CCSA Commodore
      Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
      937.885.9380 (o)
      937.477.5544 (m)

    • mshoc28306
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 11, 2009
        I've posted photos of the wash down pump install in the OASIS photo folder on the Yahoo page.

        Mark
        OASIS

      • Artstree@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 11, 2009
          Mark:

          Your pics look great. I hope I can do as well when I get mine installed. A couple of points regarding your installation:
          • The pump lines appear to be 1/2". The unit I have is 3/4" and may be a little heavier unit.
          • With the unit installed in the locker it would be above the anti-siphon valve on the head intake line. This could have caused a reduction in the suction capacity of the pump. With the pump installed in the head, it is closer to the water line and, it requires a lot less suction to prime the pump.
          Overall still a clean installation. Nice job.

          Art Harden
          CCSA Commodore
          Sea Belle - Capri 26 #151
          937.477.5544 (m)
        • millerd205@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
            Bruce,

            You may have solved the bildge prump installation problem for me. I purchased the Whale Urchin pump 5 weeks ago and still have not figured out the best installation. What you did looks good. I have just a couple of questions:
            1) What thickness is the acrylic? The bulkhead is I" thick and the pump installation instructions said that the maximun wall thickness is 1".
             2) Did you mount the pump with the pump diaphragm turned down or turned up?
            3) When you used the Rotozip to cut out the hole did you make it 3 1/2 " per the instructions. I have a hole saw that size.
            Thanks,
            Don Miller
            Greenville,SC

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
              Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
                Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
                  Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
                    Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 13, 2009
                      Here is my cell 6024029241 sorry I am to lazy to type that much.

                    • capri26owner@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 16, 2009

                        Art,

                        The 1/2" hose was what I had on hand and was the minimum recommended size for the pump. It is smaller than the 5/8" line used for the head intake where I placed the tee. I'd check your pump's manual for the hose size needed. When the pump was installed in the cockpit locker, I had a hose that was tossed over the stern into the water for the intake. There were a number problems with this setup. The most significant was the lack of water pressure. The pump's datasheet claims it can self prime up to  6-ft above the water. A lot energy is spent drawing the water up to the. pump reducing pressure. In the new location, lower to the water line, I can spray down the bow from the cockpit, or use it as a water cannon to scare off any unwelcome visitors. :)

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 17, 2009
                          I like the water Cannon idea. It would be good to fend off the sea-do's

                          Art Harden
                          CCSA Commodore
                          Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
                          937.885.9380 (o)
                          937.477.5544 (m)

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 8, 2009
                            Bob, did you get a chance to follow up on this?
                            It would sure be a nice to have item.

                            Richard

                            Bob Unkel wrote:

                            Not that I can find at the moment. We made the cover ourselves many years ago and to be honest, I think it is about time to replace it.  I will take some measurements. Maybe  we can get someone to make up several at once which would save us all a little money.

                            Bob
                            On Jun 8, 2009, at 2:17 PM, dredskinman wrote:

                            --

                            Richard Lamb

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 10, 2009
                              I have to admit I forgot to get the measurements, I will take tape with me to the lake this week-end.  Sorry about that!

                              Bob

                              http://www.home. earthlink. net/~cavelamb/