Searching for Catalina Capri 26

  • allenhouse4@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2009
      My husband and I are new to the group and are looking hard for a Catalina Capri 26 and lots of information before we buy. We are in Kansas City and are having a hard time finding many in the Midwest for sale. (In the process of selling our Chrysler 26 too.) I was hoping there would be a "For Sale" section on this site with oodles of Capris for sale. No such luck!

      We'd love to hear any advise anyone cares to dish out on what to specifically look for on this particular type of boat. I know some boats have a history of leaky toe rail joints, not enough support in certain places, and the like. How about the Capri 26? Any design or manufacture problems anywhere?

      We are also undecided on inboard vs outboard motor. Always had an outboard in the past and sure seems lots easier to pop off if it needs maintenance... We are fairly handy but have no experience with inboards. If inboard, is one brand better than another?

      Any advise on what to look for would be greatly appreciated and help in locating one for sale would too. I have checked all the usual boat for sale sites on the internet. Also would need a trailer if anyone wants to get rid of theirs.

      Many thanks!

      Joan
    • Leighton D. Westlake, Jr., PE, PLS
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2009

        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2009

          Joan:

          I have Capri 26 #5 for sale.

          She is docked in Key Largo, Fl at Manatee Bay Marina.

          Briefly she has:

          New Sparcraft mast and rigging ($11,000.00)

          Full complement of sails:

          155

          135

          105

          90

          ¾ Oz Spinnaker

          Spare main

          Storm Jib

          10 hours on new 4-stroke Mercury OB (No diesel smell below & really sips gas.)

          Lowrance Chartplotter/GPS (Controls Autohelm Autopilot)

          Depth Sounder

          Speed Log

          Quadraphonic Stereo CD player

          DSS equipped VHF radio

          Spinnaker Pole (Forespar)

          Continuous Mainsheet, spinnaker down guy, traveler controls

          Tweekers for spinnaker

          Split Backstay

          This boat has over 40 trophies to its record and has sailed for days offshore without seeing land.  Full galley, 40 gals of water on board.

          Room for extra ice coolers where the inboard would be.

          Easy winterization – just take the motor off.

          Asking $18,000

          image002

          Managing Partner

          USA5 LOGO AND DANIS

          10175 Flag Drive, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-4775

          561.799.5280 FAX 561.799.5776 email: leighton@...

          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2009
            I am in Tulsa and not quite ready to sell. This season is all but wiped out due to a broken foot, so all I can tell you is to stay in touch.

            My email address is Capri26@...

            The boat is at Grand Lake. a 1991 model I bought new.

            Bob White

            Message 5 of 6 , May 26, 2009
              Hi Joan:
              There is a really nice Capri 26 for sale here in Cincinnati. It is at Strictly Sail and is owned by Rick Agar who is a member of the Capri Association.  It has a trailer and is a very well equipped boat that has been well taken care of by a good owner.  I was Technical Editor for many years and can honestly say I don't know of a 'weak area' on the Capri 26.  They are a well made boat that has a great cockpit, wide decks to allow you to walk around on them and a spacious interior that can host a group out of the rain. Many owners have made interior modifications to suit their lifestyle or changed sail controls to accommodate racing or single handling.  We have an inboard and love it. Very reliable, very little maintenance and goes a long way on a little bit of diesel fuel. We have had out boat since purchasing it new in 1990 (First year they came out).  We have fin keel, inboard, trailer and have towed our boat from Cincinnati to Northport, MI and have sailed it on Lake Michigan. Normally we keep our boat on Brookville Reservoir in Indiana.

              Here is link to Strictly Sail.  "http://www.strictlysailinc.com/usedboats.htm"

              Hope this helps,

[...]

            • caprirg
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28, 2009
                Don't know if anyone is still looking for a Capri 26, but Gussty Gussy
                is for sale. Hull 262, 1993, diesel, wheel and just about everything
                else.
                Rog