Re: [capri26] Cutlass Bearing Replacement

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2007
      Re: [capri26] Cutlass Bearing Replacement Mark
          I wrote a brief note on this in the December 04 Mainsheet. I have a friend who lives in Springboro who lived aboard a Catalina 34 for a couple of years. He offered the following:
      The boat-yard used a slide hammer with a bearing puller to pull the cutlass bearing from its housing.  They used the same slide hammer with an adapter that screwed on to the prop shaft to pull the shaft from the coupling flange. You don’t what to put a pipe wrench or vice grips on the prop shaft to help break it loose from the coupling flange. You end up chewing up the shaft that then has to be pushed back through the new cutlass bearing. You don’t want to score the new bearing. This may be a good case where it is better to pay for the expertise and get someone who has the correct tools. It may be much less expensive than having to buy a new prop shaft.

          You might also go to Harbor Freight a buy a bushing installation kit. They have one with various sized adapters that allow you to drive it out and back in. You might be lucky enough that when you remove the set set screws that it will be loose enough to be easily pushed out. You might also be able to use a LITTLE bit of heat to expand the outer housing to make it easier to remove. On the reverse for installation could put the new bushing in the freezer prior to installation. So far I haven’t had to replace ours and it is a 1990. I plan on looking at it when we get ready this spring.

          Hope this helps.

      On 3/24/07 8:09 PM, "mshoc28306" <capri26owner@...> wrote:

      I'm in the process of installing a drip less stuffing box. With the
      propeller shaft removed, now seems like an opportune time to replace
      the cutlass bearing. I noticed two small hex screws holding the
      cutlass bearing in place. I suspect that it is also pressed into skeg.
      Has anyone replaced their cutlass bearing? Are there special tools
      required to do the job? Thanks,

      Mark
      "OASIS"