Auto Pilot Installation

  • len_cole
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2009
      I want to install an auto tiller pilot on "Wild Hare." Does anyone have experience they'd like to share. My hope is that I can install the drive unit inside the rear port Lazarette by making an opening on the face of the locker cover fitted with a rubber membrane thereby keeping the unit drier and lower so it is on line with the attachment to the tiller 18"fwd of the rudder post. Since the engine is inboard we don't really need a fuel tank in that location but any other storage would have to accomodate the pilot body. Any ideas or other suggestion will be gratefully considered.

      Thanks,

      Len Cole
      "Wild Hare"
      1992 Capri
      Sail Number 258
    • Leighton Westlake,Jr., PE, PLS
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2009

        Sounds like a lot of work that you will hate later.  Most units are waterproof.  Mount on top of the deck.  disconnecting in an emergency would be a nightmare and could cause a big problem is mounted as you suggest.

        Signature-LDW

        Leighton D. Westlake Jr., PE, PLS

        Managing Partner

        USA-5a division of DANIS LOGO

        10175 Flag Drive

        Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-4775

        Tel:  561-799-5280

        Fax: 561-799-5776

        email: leighton@...

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2009
          I agree, I have owned 2 C26s with autopilots and I have had them mounted on the starboard side and have worked great. They are very waterproof and by mounting them on this side, you can complete access to the cockpit lockers on the other side. I have had 2 Raymarine ST2000 and they have been great!

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2009
            Len:

            You are getting some sound advice already so I will only say that I concur with all the comments about mounting it in the cockpit. I have not installed one on Sea Belle yet, but it is on my to do list. I would check the installation instructions as to the recommended distance from the tiller pivot point. The closer the unit the grater the stress on the unit and connections. Also the greater the stress the more power it will consume.

            Art Harden
            CCSA Commodore
            Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
            937.885.9380 (o)
            937.477.5544 (m)

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 2, 2009

                Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights.  I agree that mounting on the starboard cockpit seat would be "cleaner."  The reason that I was willing to use the port side locker was that the installation instructions call for the unit mouted level, 18" forward of the rudder post.  Mounting level at that location puts it relatively high above the tiller pin.  Raymarine sells a range of tiller brackets that bolt to the tiller to raise or lower the effective drive arm but the tallest bracket is 6".  It didn't seem to me that the 6" bracket will  be enough height to allow the unit to be level and 18" forward of the rudder post.

                Did either of your installations use the factory bracket or did you fabricate your own?  If so was it easily removed and what did it look like?

                 Thanks again,

              • splets@cox.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 2, 2009
                  I will take a couple of pictures on my install this weekend and post them on Sunday.

                  Have a good one, we are supposed to have 20mph winds all weekend!!

                  Splets

                  From: "len_cole"
                  Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 03:57:08 -0000
                  To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: [capri26] Re: Auto Pilot Installation

                  Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights.  I agree that mounting on the starboard cockpit seat would be "cleaner."  The reason that I was willing to use the port side locker was that the installation instructions call for the unit mouted level, 18" forward of the rudder post.  Mounting level at that location puts it relatively high above the tiller pin.  Raymarine sells a range of tiller brackets that bolt to the tiller to raise or lower the effective drive arm but the tallest bracket is 6".  It didn't seem to me that the 6" bracket will  be enough height to allow the unit to be level and 18" forward of the rudder post.

                  Did either of your installations use the factory bracket or did you fabricate your own?  If so was it easily removed and what did it look like?

                   Thanks again,

                  > Len Cole

                  > "Wild Hare"
                  > 1992 Capri
                  > Sail Number 258

                • Leighton Westlake,Jr., PE, PLS
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009

                    Do you have a standard tiller for the Capri?  I mounted a ST2000 on the Starboard side with drilling in the tiller pin directly into the tiller.

                    Alternatively, if the tiller is too low, look at raising the tiller by adding s shim to the tiller-rudder post connection.  The way you describe the tiller, the tiller is a straight tiller, not the re-curve tiller on the Capri.  This would place the tiller below the cockpit combing which is not a very good idea in any event.

                     I would get a tiller that is designed for the Capri 26.  The tillers are commercially available through West Marine and other boat stores and run $50-$100 depending on the store.  I believe the tiller is the same as a J-24. I have two.  One is one the boat and one is rehab'ed and re-varnished as a spare. I change them out every year or so.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                      Len:
                      I just mounted the pin directly on the standard Capri 26 tiller handle without any bracket. I will try to find a photo of it. Attached find a photo of my tiller handle. If you look closely about half way down the tiller handle you can see the pit that connects to the autohelm unit.  I will take a photo of the unit hooked to the tiller in about a week when I go get my boat out of storage and start to get it ready for launch.  We can't get into our lake until May 1. I mounted the pin based on where it could hook up with the autopilot. The instructions I had for mine didn't give a set dimension from the rudder post. The only issue we had was the cockpit cushion. We just put it on top of the autopilot and don't let anyone sit/step on it.

                      On Apr 2, 2009, at 11:57 PM, len_cole wrote:

                      Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights.  I agree that mounting on the starboard cockpit seat would be "cleaner."  The reason that I was willing to use the port side locker was that the installation instructions call for the unit moutedlevel, 18" forward of the rudder post.  Mounting level at that location puts it relatively high above the tiller pin.  Raymarine sells a range of tiller brackets that bolt to the tiller to raise or lower the effective drive arm but the tallest bracket is 6".  It didn't seem to me that the 6" bracket will  be enough height to allow the unit to be level and 18" forward of the rudder post.

                      Did either of your installations use the factory bracket or did you fabricate your own?  If so was it easily removed and what did it look like?

                       Thanks again,

                      > Len Cole
                      > "Wild Hare"
                      > 1992 Capri
                      > Sail Number 258

                    • BRUCE SPLETSTOSER
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009

                        What is up with the inspection port? Storage?

                                    I just mounted the pin directly on the standard Capri 26 tiller handle without any bracket. I will try to find a photo of it. Attached find a photo of my tiller handle. If you look closely about half way down the tiller handle you can see the pit that connects to the autohelm unit. I will take a photo of the unit hooked to the tiller in about a week when I go get my boat out of storage and start to get it ready for launch. We can't get into our lake until May 1. I mounted the pin based on where it could hook up with the autopilot. The instructions I had for mine didn't give a set dimension from the rudder post. The only issue we had was the cockpit cushion. We just put it on top of the autopilot and don't let anyone sit/step on it.

                        On Apr 2, 2009, at 11:57 PM, len_cole wrote:

                        Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights. I agree that mounting on the starboard cockpit seat would be "cleaner." The reason that I was willing to use the port side locker was that the installation instructions call for the unit moutedlevel, 18" forwardof therudder post. Mounting level at that location puts it relatively high above the tiller pin. Raymarine sells a range of tiller brackets that bolt to the tiller to raise or lower the effective drive arm but the tallest bracket is 6". It didn't seem to me that the 6" bracketwill be enough height to allow the unit tobe level and 18" forward of the rudder post.

                        Did either of your installations use the factory bracket or did youfabricate your own? If so was it easily removed and what did it look like?

                        Thanks again,

                        > Len Cole

                        > "Wild Hare"
                        > 1992 Capri
                        > Sail Number 258
                        style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Georgia;color:black'>

                      • len_cole
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                          I'm pretty sure the tiller is standard, recurved and laminated. The other Capri 26 in Channel Islands Landing is equipped with the same tiller. At 18" forward of the tiller post it is below the cockpit seat's horizontal surface by several inches. I anxiously wait pictures to help me understand what others have done. Thanks again and again for helping me make plans.

                          Len Cole

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                            It is a speaker port. I cover them with Inspection Ports when not in use.

                            Bob
                            On Apr 3, 2009, at 12:13 PM, BRUCE SPLETSTOSER wrote:

                            What is up with the inspection port? Storage?

                                        I just mounted the pin directly on the standard  Capri 26 tiller handle without any bracket. I will try to find a photo of it. Attached find a photo of my tiller handle. If you look closely about half way down the tiller handle you can see the pit that connects to the autohelm unit. I will take a photo of the unit hooked to the tiller in about a week when I go get my boat out of storage and start to get it ready for launch. We can't get into our lake until May 1. I mounted the pin based on where it could hook up with the autopilot. The instructions I had for mine didn't give a set dimension from the rudder post. The only issue we had was the cockpit cushion. We just put it on top of the autopilot and don't let anyone sit/step on it.

                            <image001.jpg>

                            On Apr 2, 2009, at 11:57 PM, len_cole wrote:

                            Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights. I agree that mounting on the starboard cockpit seat would be "cleaner." The reason that I was willing to use the port side locker was that the installation instructions call for the unit moutedlevel, 18" forwardof therudder post. Mounting level at that location puts it relatively high above the tiller pin. Raymarine sells a range of tiller brackets that bolt to the tiller to raise or lower the effective drive arm but the tallest bracket is 6". It didn't seem to me that the 6" bracketwill be enough height to allow the unit tobe level and 18" forward of the rudder post.

                            Did either of your installations use the factory bracket or did youfabricate your own? If so was it easily removed and what did it look like?

                            Thanks again,

                            > Len Cole
                            > "Wild Hare"
                            > 1992  Capri
                            > Sail Number 258

                          • Richard Lamb
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 22, 2009
                              --
                              > I want to install an auto tiller pilot on "Wild Hare." Does anyone have experience they'd like to share. My hope is that I can install the drive unit inside the rear port Lazarette by making an opening on the face of the locker cover fitted with a rubber membrane thereby keeping the unit drier and lower so it is on line with the attachment to the tiller 18"fwd of the rudder post. Since the engine is inboard we don't really need a fuel tank in that location but any other storage would have to accomodate the pilot body. Any ideas or other suggestion will be gratefully considered.

                              For what it's worth, mine is to port - mounted up on the combing.
                              I don't know why, but it is.
                              It has an angled bracket on top of the tiller to hook up.

                              It doesn't seem to have a lock function on the mounting post.
                              I think a lanyard to the rail would be ten cents well spent.

                              Richard
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 23, 2009
                                I finally got "Impulsive" home so I can get ready for the season. As promised here are photos of my auto-helm installation.  I took a measurement and it is about 18.5" from the rudder post to the mounting stud on the tiller. As mentioned earlier, I don't think putting it into the gas can locker is good idea because you have to lift it up to connect and you need quick access to get to the buttons on the unit.

                                As for the question about the nuts that go on the end of the support rods for the shrouds, my memory was correct. They are 1/2" diameter 13 threads per inch.  (This is a standard course thread for 1/2" bolts.)

                                I am now working on storage brackets for all the whisker poles and my spinnaker pole. Too much gear!!!

                                Bob Unkel

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 23, 2009
                                  Sorry, forgot the photos!! There are 4 of them>

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 23, 2009

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 23, 2009

                                    Here are pictures from another install.  I did mine this way because on different tacks and wind conditions you can adjust the mounting position, plus you get to use your cockpit cushions!!!

                                    Here is another autopilot install.  I did it this way because in higher winds, it helps if you canto adjust the mounting position, also a big bonus, you can use your cockpit cushions!!!

                                    Good luck!!

                                    Splets

                                    Hull# 148

                                  • len_cole
                                    Message 18 of 26 , Apr 24, 2009
                                      Bob,

                                      Thanks again. You are so helpful. I can't figure out why but again I don't see your photos on the Yahoo group message # 328. I am using Microsoft IE 7 and Google Chrome. I just don't see a photo or link. Any ideas?

                                    • Artstree@aol.com
                                      Message 19 of 26 , Apr 25, 2009
                                        Bob:

                                        You email is probably set for text only. I down loaded the pics at the office at will send then as an attachment on Monday.

                                        Art Harden
                                        CCSA Commodore
                                        Sea Belle - Capri 26 #151
                                        937.477.5544 (m)

                                        Access 350+ FREE radio stations anytime from anywhere on the web. Get the Radio Toolbar!
                                      • millerd205@aol.com
                                        Message 20 of 26 , Apr 25, 2009
                                          Bob very good pictures. I have not purchased an auto pilot yet but reading the e-mails and seeing your pictures are maiking me want one. Any guidance on which unit to purchase? I was considering the Autohelm  ST1000  which can be used for displacement up to 6,600lb. Most of my sailing is single-handed and I use a tiller-tamer. What caught my attention in your pictures, however, is the modification you made to your gas can locker. Since I have the inboard engine this locker is really unused on my boat ( hull no. 205, 1992 model). I am interested in how you made the modification such as cutting the hatch, waterproofing and some general tips that would be usefull for me to know before I proceed and start cutting up my locker.

                                          Don Miller
                                          Greenville, SC

                                          Message 21 of 26 , Apr 25, 2009
                                            You need to Raymarine ST2000. I know someone who bought the 1000 and the first time they were in heavy weather, it was over powered.

                                            Splets

                                            Message 22 of 26 , Apr 25, 2009
                                              Don,

                                              The gas tank locker modifications was first done by Rick Agar. I wrote up an early tech article covering the change,  but I think it was lost with a computer crash that wasn't backed up. ( Now have a one Terrabyte back up system.)  I did not seal up the bottom because there is not a lip around the top which allows water and junk to get into the locker. I did bond a wood strip across the bottom and top of the lower portion I had cut off which added strength.  Since the boat is now in the driveway, I will take some pictures tomorrow and email them.  We keep a large tool box and the propane bottles for the gas grill in the locker. As a possible thought, you could seal it up and turn it into a cooler so you don't have to go down below to get cold beer!

                                              My in-laws first moved form Ohio to Greenville a long time ago. We should have kept their house! Red dirt and no snow!

                                              Bob Unkel

                                              Message 23 of 26 , Apr 25, 2009
                                                We haven't has issues with ours. I believe that a lot will depend on how the boat is trimmed and how much mechanical advantage you have with where you connect it to the tiller. If you are over trimmed in heavy air it may be a difficult task. I have thought for sometime that the rudder on a fin keel version could use a little more length or area, iif you are over-trimmed or the mast is raked too far aft you will head up without a lot of effort.

                                                Bob Unkel

                                                Message 24 of 26 , Apr 25, 2009
                                                  I should have made the comment I recommend the St2000 and not that you need. I do agree that the boat needs an early reef when using the autopilot. The autopilot also has an easier time on a flat lake than in rolling swells. If Guideline says the boat weighs 5250lbs and you add motor, gear, water, fuel, etc. Your are close to the 6600lb maximum weight, according to Raymarine,s website for the 1000. Under most conditions, the ST1000 is fine, under extreme conditions I would like to know it is going to be able to get the job done. The ST2000 is good for 10,000lbs and is much quicker to react than the 1000.
                                                  I have had my Capri out in 15 foot seas, with a double reefed main and a storm jib and did just fine with the 2000, but I don't know If the 1000 in big weather would have been up to the task??

                                                  At Defender.com, the 2000 is 160.00 more than the 1000.
                                                  Have a good weekend all!

                                                  Splets

                                                  Message 25 of 26 , Apr 26, 2009
                                                    My "new" boat already had a tiller pilot installed and running so I
                                                    didn't have much to do about it.

                                                    Pictures of my set up are on the group photo page at:
                                                    (folder named Temptress)

                                                    It is a SimRad TP-30. I don't know how old it is, but the web site
                                                    below speaks highly of it.

                                                    All I know it that I sure like the way it works.
                                                    http://www.yachtbits.fsnet.co.uk/autopilots/simrad-tiller.htm

                                                    Another web site for autopilot selection:
                                                    http://www.yachtbits.fsnet.co.uk/tech-tips/autopilot-selection.htm/
                                                    Raytheon and Simrad only thought - but both tiller and wheel.
                                                  • splets@cox.net
                                                    Message 26 of 26 , Apr 26, 2009
                                                      The TP30 is a great unit too!

                                                      From: "Richard Lamb"