RE: Re: Diesel Engine Stalling (Universal 10hp)

  • azsailor12
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2013

      Catalina Direct has a Racor that also does water separation:

      http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2468&ParentCat=422

      By searching the Racor number on the side, you may be able to find it elsewhere for cheaper.  There should be room to mount it back by the tank.

      John

      ---In capri26@yahoogroups.com, <capri26@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks again for the info. This weekend I purged the gunk out of the tank. During the process of cleaning the strainer of the fuel pump I decided to replace the fuel pump. Success! She ran beautifully. Again many thanks to you all.

      I like Art's suggestion of a sediment filter. Can anyone suggest a source and placement of such a filter? I browsed the Internet for "diesel sediment filter" with limited success.

      Thanks
    • rferre2000
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013

        I purchased the Racor, which is a pretty large unit.  I had pictured installing it under the engine cover somewhere, but it is tight (I will post a couple of photos),   As John suggested, I will look back by the tank.  Art had also suggested "downstream" from the tank too.

        If anyone can provide any additional details about where/how to mount it, I would appreciate it.  As you can see from John's link, http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2468&ParentCat=422  it seems best to install in a place that can be monitored and serviced..

        Of course, I welcome any other suggestions about alternative separators/filters.

[...]

      • Dave Kautz
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 21, 2013
        #248 has a Racor 30 micron filter installed in the line between the tank and the fuel pump. It is mounted at the rear of the engine bay, adjacent to the muffler, and fits under the engine cover. I've attached a picture to this email, but if it gets stripped by the yahoogroups software email me directly at dkautz@... and I will send the picture to you.

        Dave

[...]

        By searching the Racor number on the side, you may be able to find it elsewhere for cheaper.&! nbsp; There should be room to mount it back by the tank.

        John

        ---In capri26@yahoogroups.com, <capri26@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Thanks again for the info. This weekend I purged the gunk out of the tank. During the process of cleaning the strainer of the fuel pump I decided to replace the fuel pump. Success! She ran beautifully. Again many thanks to you all.

        I like Art's suggestion of a sediment filter. Can anyone suggest a source and placement of such a filter? I browsed the Internet for "diesel sediment filter" with limited success.

        Thanks

      • Mike Gurley
        Message 4 of 15 , Oct 21, 2013
          Dave:
          Your primary filter is mounted on the bulkhead between the engine and head.  Mine is mounted on the engine.  Did you move yours to the bulkhead?  If so, why?  Mike G

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 5 of 15 , Oct 21, 2013
            The one on the bulkhead is the pre-filter/water separator, there is a second filter (10 micron) mounted on the engine. I bought the boat used and this is how it was configured by a previous owner.

            Message 6 of 15 , Oct 24, 2013

              Thank you Dave.  This is what I was thinking.  Just a one more quick question...   I am guessing you used through bolts?  (e.g. all the way through about 1.5-2 inches?) ,  I just don't want to damage anything that might be inside of that cross member.

              Message 7 of 15 , Oct 24, 2013
                I didn't do the install myself, but there are fender washers and nuts on the back side.

                Dave