Re: [capri26] Bilge Pumps

  • capri26owner@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
      Don,

      I found a manual bilge pump listed on the Catalina Direct web site:

      There is no description for the pump, but Catalina Direct usually sales direct replacement parts . You may want to give them call.

      I have an automatic bilge pump on my boat. The additional drain hose runs alongside the manual bilge hose and up through the wet locker into the cockpit storage locker where the manual pump is located. I confirmed this in the attached photo. I installed a washdown pump late last season in the wet locker and you can see the two ribbed bilge hoses on the left side of the photo. The manual and automatic bilge drain through the same through-hull fitting near the rear of the cockpit. I suspect there is a Tee-fitting joining the automatic drain with the manual drain in the storage locker.  Hope this helps.

      Mark
      OASIS

      P.S. If the photo does not make it with the email, let me know and I can email it separately.

      In a message dated 1/28/2009 1:03:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, millerd205@... writes:

      I have 2 questions:

      1) Has anyone installed an automatic bilge pump on their Capri 26
      without disconnecting the manual bilge pump? I cannot figure out how
      to run an additional hose out of the bilge other than using the drain
      opening going into the bilge, but this opening is needed for the water
      coming from the shaft packing gland which drains into the bilge.

      2) The original manual pump (Patty pump) has given out and I have been
      unable to find a rebuild kit. West Marine has suggested that I replace
      the manual pump with a Whale manual pump; however, the mounting holes
      are different and would require drilling new mounting holes and filling
      in the old holes which I had rather not do. Has anyone replaced their
      manual pump and what suggestions can they give me?

      Donald F. Miller
      millerd205@aol. com

      Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.
    • splets@cox.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
        Catalina direct and the Catalina factory have no remembrance of ever using a patty pump! They stated that the pump was dealer installed? Good luck!

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009

          Can you buy just the cover?   Mine has withered away to powder.  (And bumped legs).

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
            They were Patay pumps.  And Catalina has no business NOT supplying the replacement parts.

            VERY Disappointing.  I don't care if the dealer installed, or if the manufacturer installed (which they should), they should supply you with a replacement.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
              Mine withered away, and I found a similar replacement cover in England.  WhenI replaced it, I discovered that the pump itself had a defect in it.

              Now, I cannot find the same pump!

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                I contacted the manufacturer in England and no parts are available, sorry

                From: "Jim Long"
                Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 22:30:42 -0700
                To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                  The bilge pump noted on the Catalina plumbing drawings is a Whale. Although dealers may have installed other types a Whale is specified by Catalina. I have a whale and my cover was broken and aloowed water to leak into the rear berth. I was able to get a replacement from Whale. I will look for my documentation on where I got it and froward to all.

                  Art Harden
                  Commodore CCSA
                  Sea Belle Capri 26 #151
                  937.885.9380 (o)
                  937.477.5544 (m)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                    Yes some of the later catalinas came with whale pumps, but the rest were a British built whale pump. The lucky ones with the whale pumps can get replacement parts. I emailed pictures of the pump to Patay pumps and they said they do not recognize the pump so it has been discontinued a long time.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009
                      I hate it when the first boats are the ginny pig for equipment. I am wondering if a Whale kit would fit.

                      Art Harden
                      CCSA Commodore
                      Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
                      937.885.9380 (o)
                      937.477.5544 (m)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009

                        The cutout for the whale is smaller so you need to cover it up with a plate of sorts, I used acrylic.  Then make a new cut out using a Rotozip or Dremel too to make it fit, mount the cover plate, mount the new pump and connect the hoses.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009

                          SEA MASTER & BO'SUN THROUGH DECK/BULK HEAD SEAL
                          See details
                          SEA MASTER & BO'SUN THROUGH DECK/BULK HEAD SEAL
                          SKU: B2154

                          This through bulk head/deck seal has been specifically designed for use with the Patay Sea Master and Bo'sun hand pumps.

                          Market price Ex Vat:£9.17
                          Online price Ex Vat: £7.34 (€ 11.02), saving 20%

                          SEA MASTER & BO'SUN THROUGH DECK/BULK HEAD SEAL
                          See details
                          SEA MASTER & BO'SUN THROUGH DECK/BULK HEAD SEAL
                          SKU: B2155

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009

                            I had to go all the way to England to get this part.  Nice to know it is more readily available.

                            However, what I discovered is that it wasn't this seal and cover that did not work.  It was the actual PUMP itself.

                            Apparently, from what I am reading, the similarly-sized replacement pumps are just not made anymore.  At this point, I don't really care if it fits the side wall of the cockpit settee, I just want a pump that works!

                            Bob White,
                            Tulsa, #157

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009

                              Sorry, I have to take that back.  This is the same place that supplied me with the seal and cover.

                              Does anyone know with certainty where to get the replacement pump?  Is it that Whale model?

                              Bob White

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009

                                They may work, but according to the Manufacturer, no parts are available?  Here is a picture of my pump and they do not have the same hole pattern for the mounting bolts, but who knows?

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009

                                  I used the Whale Urchin, best price is at Downwind Marine out of San Diego . http://www.downwindmarine.com/Bilge-Pump-Manual-Gusher-Urchin-Thru-Deck-p-705341.html  $73.00 at Downwind marine, $99.00 at West marine.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 17, 2009
                                    I appreciate the good response from all of you regarding my request for
                                    information concerning installing an automatic bilge pump as well as
                                    suggestions on replacing my manual bilge pump. The pictures and
                                    diagrams will be very helpful to me as I approach my springtime
                                    project. Based on the comments received, I plan to go ahead and
                                    replace my manual bilge pump with a Whale Urchin, and I'll probably buy
                                    a West Marine 800 GPH bilge pro automatic cartridge pump with totally
                                    sealed electronic switch and 3/4" hose. As I proceed with the
                                    installation I plan to take pictures and document my project and post
                                    on the user group site.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Donald Miller
                                    Greenville SC