Re: Bilge Pump

  • Peter Galizia
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
    Bob, I made it to the the boat today, interestingly enough mine does not push through. Mine is plumed per the recommended flow diagram from Gusher, page 2 attached. Looking at the design of the manual pump it will work either way, as there is a flow direction check on the suction and discharge. A discharge check is also required on the electric pump if you don't push through. The strange thing is my factory installation pushes everything though a 1/2"through hull fitting to the swim deck. I get a nice full stream with the electric pump, but I guess you will get the identical flow pushing through the big fittings on the gusher. Let me know how it flows once you get it going.
    Pete
  • Robert Unkel
    Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
      Peter,
      Many thanks for all your effort.  It is really appreciated!

      I finished installation of the pump today. I put the electric bilge pump on the keel end of the pickup hose for the existing manual pump. It pumps right through the manual pump and has a good steady stream of water running out the port on the swim deck.

      If it didn't work my backup plan was to drill a hole from the engine compartment into the keel well for the second hose and install a "Y" downstream of the manual pump.

      My existing manual pump is long time obsolete.  I remember many years ago rebuilding it and finding the repair kit in England.  At that time I was visiting England on a frequent basis for business.  A customer and good friend was a sailor who lived in Ipswitch and he tracked the kit down for me.  At that time the only kits available were the ones in some boat yards inventory. I suspect I may need to upgrade the manual pump. It has been a long time since it has been used.

      I added a Rule 500 gpm pump with built in float switch.  I wired it up to a Sea Dog Bilge Pump Panel with Circuit Breaker.  The panel is direct wired to the batteries and has a rocker switch with Manual On, Off, and Automatic modes of operation. Counting wire, connectors, clamps, Breaker Panel and Pump I have about a total of $100 in the addition.

      I will try to take some pictures after I launch the boat. Hope to get it in the water this week.

      Many thanks to all who offered information!

      Sent by an outspoken old person from his conservative launch pad.........