Bilge Pump

  • Robert Unkel
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25 2:49 PM
      Many thanks to all that offered help and information about me adding an electric bilge pump to "Impulsive"!! You all came through as expected and showed just how much this association can be of help to owners of a great boat, the Capri 26.

      I will post some photos of the finished project in the next few days.

      Thanks again all,
    • Peter Galizia
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 2:54 PM
      Bob, I made it to the the boat today, interestingly enough mine does not push through. Mine is plumed per the recommended flow diagram from Gusher, page 2 attached. Looking at the design of the manual pump it will work either way, as there is a flow direction check on the suction and discharge. A discharge check is also required on the electric pump if you don't push through. The strange thing is my factory installation pushes everything though a 1/2"through hull fitting to the swim deck. I get a nice full stream with the electric pump, but I guess you will get the identical flow pushing through the big fittings on the gusher. Let me know how it flows once you get it going.
      Pete
    • Robert Unkel
      Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30 7:38 PM
        Peter,
        Many thanks for all your effort.  It is really appreciated!

        I finished installation of the pump today. I put the electric bilge pump on the keel end of the pickup hose for the existing manual pump. It pumps right through the manual pump and has a good steady stream of water running out the port on the swim deck.

        If it didn't work my backup plan was to drill a hole from the engine compartment into the keel well for the second hose and install a "Y" downstream of the manual pump.

        My existing manual pump is long time obsolete.  I remember many years ago rebuilding it and finding the repair kit in England.  At that time I was visiting England on a frequent basis for business.  A customer and good friend was a sailor who lived in Ipswitch and he tracked the kit down for me.  At that time the only kits available were the ones in some boat yards inventory. I suspect I may need to upgrade the manual pump. It has been a long time since it has been used.

        I added a Rule 500 gpm pump with built in float switch.  I wired it up to a Sea Dog Bilge Pump Panel with Circuit Breaker.  The panel is direct wired to the batteries and has a rocker switch with Manual On, Off, and Automatic modes of operation. Counting wire, connectors, clamps, Breaker Panel and Pump I have about a total of $100 in the addition.

        I will try to take some pictures after I launch the boat. Hope to get it in the water this week.

        Many thanks to all who offered information!

        Sent by an outspoken old person from his conservative launch pad.........

        Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2013
          You may be able to direct replace with the pump in the previous attachment. I'm pretty sure it's the new version of what's in my boat. It might require a different size penetration. I'm pretty sure there was an install guide on the Whaler website, where I got the data sheet.
          Pete