Re: [capri26] Second Reef [3 Attachments]

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hi Pete,

      There are a lot of salty old nautical terms that I don't know.
      I thought maybe "dog collar" was another of them.

      Then I looked at your pictures more carefully...
      Very clever!

      On 3/27/2013 4:23 PM, Peter Galizia wrote:
      Richard, I took 3 pictures: 1. Double reefed sail  2. Clasp and quick release dog collar at Clew  3. Clasp at Tack
      Comments after high wind sailing:
      The Clew rigging with dog collar works really well, but would be much better if the Jiffy reef rigging at the Tack were eliminated per your recommendation. Another Tack option to the Cunningham, would be to replace one of the two mast eyes with a jam cleat and tie off an 18" long rope on the other eye. To reef the Tack you could quickly run the short line through the proper eye and secure the rope tight at the jam cleat. You would then take up slack with the main hayard and old reef system converted to an outhaul. Anytime I reef, I need to luff and winch a few times to get a decent looking foot. I think elimination of the forward jiffy reef rigging would help a lot. Thanks for the suggestion,
      Pete

      http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/