THANKS FOR THE INPUT TO: DIFFICULTY WITH ROLLER FURLING

  • jferrell24
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
      Thanks to everyone for the in response to the question about difficulty with my roller furling. I discovered that I actually had line rubbing on the inside of the drum. I shortened the line and am more attentive to maintain some tension on the line when deploying the jib. Additionally I found groves cut by the line in the plastic eyelets of the guides, which increased the friction in recovering the jib. I ordered stanchion mounted furling fairleads from Catalina Direct which have stainless eyelets. Thanks again.
    • Mark Miller and M'lou Brubaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
        Does your furler line run down your port or starboard side?

        - Mark and M'lou
           " Raven" #77

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
          Down the port side.

          --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller and M'lou Brubaker <markandmlou@...> wrote:

          > Does your furler line run down your port or starboard side?
          >
          > - Mark and M'lou
          > " Raven" #77
          >

          > On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:45 AM, jferrell24 wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks to everyone for the in response to the question about
          > > difficulty with my roller furling. I discovered that I actually had
          > > line rubbing on the inside of the drum. I shortened the line and am
          > > more attentive to maintain some tension on the line when deploying
          > > the jib. Additionally I found groves cut by the line in the plastic
          > > eyelets of the guides, which increased the friction in recovering
          > > the jib. I ordered stanchion mounted furling fairleads from Catalina
          > > Direct which have stainless eyelets. Thanks again.

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
            I have pulleys mounted on the bow and stern rail where the line turns.
            The rest in between  are eyelets.

            On 3/25/2013 1:55 PM, jferrell24 wrote:

            Down the port side.

            --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller and M'lou Brubaker <markandmlou@...> wrote:

            > Does your furler line run down your port or starboard side?
            >
            > - Mark and M'lou
            > " Raven" #77
            >

            > On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:45 AM, jferrell24 wrote:
            >
            > > Thanks to everyone for the in response to the question about
            > > difficulty with my roller furling. I discovered that I actually had
            > > line rubbing on the inside of the drum. I shortened the line and am
            > > more attentive to maintain some tension on the line when deploying
            > > the jib. Additionally I found groves cut by the line in the plastic
            > > eyelets of the guides, which increased the friction in recovering
            > > the jib. I ordered stanchion mounted furling fairleads from Catalina
            > > Direct which have stainless eyelets. Thanks again.

            http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/
          • Ted Wright
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
              Mine runs down the port side, and mine was set up by the PO with a small pulley (block) at each stanchion base. Head sail opens and closes pretty smoothly.