RE: [capri26] New Guy joined?

  • David Munson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 142 KB

    I’m just the guy who pushes the buttons on the autopilot but the boat is named MadMan located at the west access on Carlyle Lake (Yes, the largest lake in Illinois) and probably the most Capri 26’s.  I think we have 3-4 at west access and probably 4-5 up north at the other marinas

    The boat is in mint condition with a new Honda 8 with a electric tilt.  The motor was not easy to mount as the small stainless bracket was far too small.  I built an adapter plate to push the motor out so the large bracket would fit.

    The boat has AC located in the bathroom locker and a tiller autopilot that allow me time to watch the other boats and light my cigar.

    I’m currently getting ready to replace the crazed plexi windows that my wife finds annoying.  I found a bargain on Beckson black hatches for $ 33.00 each.

    Does anyone have a template on line or at least some measurements so I can order the Plexi?

    Photo is before the new Honda engine

    David L. Munson

    1236 Wood Station Place

    Manchester, Missouri 63021

    314-369-3913

    David.Munson@...

    Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2013
      Hi David,

      Welcome to the fleet!

      In the navy, it's traditional to refer to the captain of a ship by his ship's name.
      We don't strictly enforce that tradition here because I'm not exactly what you
      might call a "Temptress".

      But "Madman"; yeah, that has a certain appeal to it... :)
      Nice graphic too!

      The electric tilt motor sounds interesting.
      We'd like to see more of that.  Sounds like something for a good tech article.

      But the AC....
      THAT I want to know all about!  In Illinois, even?  Not Texas?
      Air conditioning here is not a luxury, it's life support.
      So I'll offer a trade, how about?
      Tell us more about your boat, and I'll tell you how I made my window patterns?

      Deal?
      Actually, it's really simple.

      Take a piece of heavy paper (no creases or folds) and rough cut a few inches
      larger than the window.  Tape it to the hull above the window so it hangs smooth.
      Then tack the bottom corners down with some more tape.
      The idea, of course, is to get a smooth overlay.
      Trace the edge of the glass with the edge of a pencil (or a carpenter's pencil).

      The aft windows have that Beckson port in them, and that gets in the way a bit.
      I made it work out ok without removing them by carefully cutting away the paper
      around the port.

      Don't expect the pattern from one side to match the other!
      I found some minor differences port and starboard on mine.
      I'd expect even more differences between boats.
      So if your windows fit your boat, use them for your patterns.

      I ALWAYS use wide masking tape on the plastic to protect the cut line.
      Mark the plastic (the peel off overlay is still in place) with a sharpie.
      Then cover the line with tape and re-draw the pattern.

      Band saw (not recip!) to just outside the line and sand to shape/smooth with a belt sander.

      If you can get the old window out without damage you might even reuse the same holes
      by laying the old window over the new and marking the holes.
      But it's probably safer to fill the old holes and redrill to match the new window.
      And even if you have good drill karma, you may still have to fill and drill a few
      that don't want to play nice.  Marine Tex is a good choice for this. Or West Six-10.

      There are special drill bits for drilling plexiglass.  They are worth the cost.
      If you've done it before, ok fine.  If not google up some prior art to learn how and why.

      Lexan (with a backing block) shouldn't be any problem. I've never broken a hole in Lexan.
      (But it is more susceptible to crazing from solvents)

      I thought Mainesail had something on that, but I didn't see it just now.
      But I love his site, so here is the link anyway.
      http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

      Select Plastics - good info here:
      http://www.selectplastics.com/

      I bought mine at Regal Plastics in Dallas.

      BTW, where did you find the great deal on replacement Beckson hatches????

      Also, how about go get some more Capri owners to join up.
      I don't have the latest count but I think we have well over 50 of the 300 or so boats built.

      Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2013

        I will photograph and post the photos of my AC this weekend if I go to the boat.  It was not easy or cheap.  Today I might recommend a standing unit under the stairs and vent the heat out through the seats or through a bottom hatch board.  I saw a unit at Home Depot for under $400.00

        Here is the best tip.   Plumb it for city water so the water is in the 60-70 range rather than the 90+ in the harbor.  Sure the lake is higher in the morning but not by much.

        If you use harbor water in July and August the AC will reset in the middle of the night and you wake up dreaming you’ve gone to hell and you can’t find any friends.

        David L. Munson

        David.Munson@...

        Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15, 2013
          I replaced mine last year and have my old ones that could be used as pattern.

          Splets
          Satinsheets
          Gilbert, AZ