Re: [capri26] Temptress is on Sailing Texas

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 20, 2013
      That's quite a ways.  But might be worth it.

      When I was shopping for a 26 I chased leads all over the country.
      It's really hard to buy a boat long distance.

      There are a few listed in New York, though.
      http://boats.oodle.com/catalina/for-sale/sailboats/length_26/
      I'm the current Capri 26 National Fleet commodore, so I hear about all of them.

      Richard

      On 1/20/2013 2:54 PM, Jim wrote:
      I'm sorry to hear about the stroke, but am glad you are doing well now and admire your attitude and finding a solution to stay on the water.   I missed that you were looking at a Capri 22 not a Catalina.   The capri would be a great boat for what you are looking to do.  While mine is an easy boat in the water, it is a lot to manage with preparation and to launch and recover.

      Temptress is beautiful and the updates and condition make her an attractive boat.  I'll need a friend to join me if I upgrade from what I have now and will check in with them.  I wish I was closer to see her in person.  I'm up in Ohio, so it's not an easy trip to come take a look.  I'm sure you will find a good home for her with all she has to offer.  I'll let you know if I have an interest after I talk with a couple friends.

      Jim

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 20, 2013, at 3:28 PM, Richard <cavelamb@...> wrote:

      Hi Jim,

      I'm downsizing because I had two little strokes this last summer.

      Nature's way of telling us to slow down.

      I didn't loose functionality or memory, that we can tell.
      But it was pretty scary since I could tell what was happening.
      Cat scan showed no permanent damage. But there is a weak spot
      in one artery in the starboard side of my head.
      I've always done as much of the maintenance as possible.
      But I have to stop now - or ...?

      The 26 is just too big for my wife to handle by herself.
      She had a Capri 18 before and loved it, although the 18 is a bit small.
      So we hope to find a good Capri 22 and be lazy.
      That's a lighter boat than a Catalina 22.

      And frankly, if something happened to me, she'd have to deal with it then.
      So why do that to her if I can sort it out now?

      Temptress is going on 22 years old now, so she's no longer brand new.
      But there is nothing really wrong with her.
      No deck or hull problems, rigging is all good, and sails are perfect.
      The main sail cover is getting old now and should probably be replaced some day.
      Same with the cover on the Bimini.  They are serviceable though. Just not up to the
      rest of the covers...

      Had the hull buffed out last summer.

      I haven't sorted out the wiring up the mast yet.
      Wind speed and direction.  Mast lights
      I had the depth sounder and speed paddle through-hull holes glassed in
      when one showed a leak this last launch.
      We hauled her back out and fixed that right quick
      So she will want a new sounder installed.  But the modern ones do not
      need a hole in the boat.They can see right through it.
      But I haven't been up to working on her yet.

      Boom was overhauled four years ago.  New outhaul - upgraded to 5:1,
      new pulleys and line.

      We had a couple of rain leaks, but I think I've got most of that sealed up.
      The worst was at the chainplates.  It would drip right on my belly button!
      (I hate when that happens!)

      That doesn't leak any more. I fixed them while the mast was down.
      Removed the fittings, chamfered the edges of the holes and sealed them with
      butyl rubber tape. They don't leak a drop now!

      The motor is a 2000(?) Yamaha 9.9.  It has never given any problems at all.
      I've removed the lock pin so it can be turned and the boat can be steered by
      power.  Really handy in tight places!  Drop a lock pin in the holes for steaming.

      I put the three gallon tank in the locker for Ray Hubbard.  On Texoma I had to power
      farther to get to the main body of the lake, so we had the six gallon tank in.  That
      pretty well lasted all summer.  You get both.

      Let's see... I removed the water heater as soon as I got the boat.  It worked fine
      but I wanted the locker space more that the water heater.  It's AC electric, as
      usual, so only works at the dock.  This is Texas!  I don't need hot water.  But it can

      I'll also add the air conditioner unit.  It's just a cheapie window unit, but I made a
      hatch board that fits it.

      The trailer is in excellent shape, being only a couple of years old.  I bought a
      flat bed and built the supports to fit this boat.  It worked out very well.

      The indirect lighting project is about halfway finished.  I have most of the stbd
      side done and started on port side and head.  All parts and wires included.

      Her web pages are located at    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/
      Seriously, take a look.  I've documented things as I did them.

      Let me know if/when you'd like to come sail her?
      Looks like it's going to be warmer this week.
      And I do love to show her off...

      On 1/20/2013 2:14 PM, Jim wrote:

      It looks like a great boat.   I have a 1984 Cal 24 anniversary edition and joined the group since I'm interested in a Capri 26 some day.  Can you tell me more about why you are selling her and are now looking at a Catalina 22?

      The  Cal 24 is an easy boat to single hand with 4 winches, roller furling genoa, and an electric start out board.  She handles great and has an ez loader trailer.  Let me know if you'd be interested in a trade.

      My boat does not have recent upgrades, but is a solid boat and handles great in the water.  I would not expect an even trade so you would have cash to manage the upgrades you would like.

      Let me know your thoughts and if you would like to learn more about the boat.

      Thanks.

      Jim

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 19, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Richard <cavelamb@...>wrote:

      Ok, everybody here already has at least one boat already.
      Just passing the word around

      http://sailingtexas.com/201301/scapri26115.html

    Message 2 of 12 , May 19, 2013
      Jim,

      We're going to have to let her go after all.
      I just don't have the physical stamina to take care of her any more.

      I haven't sent the ad to Alison yet (Sailing Texas . com)
      but will tomorrow.

      Just thought I\d touch base and let you know.

      Richard and Dorothy

      On 1/20/2013 2:14 PM, Jim wrote:

[...]

    • Jim Close
      Message 3 of 12 , May 20, 2013
        Richard,

        I'm sorry the sailing season did not work out as you hoped.   Thanks for letting me know that Temptress is coming available again.   I don't think I will be able to purchase her at this time, but will check with a couple friends to see if they are willing to take the leap now.

        Good luck with selling her through Sailing Texas.   I hope you can find a smaller baot to get on the water or at least make friends at the local sailing club so you can crew and be good company while getting time on the water.

        Best,

        Message 4 of 12 , May 20, 2013
          I think we all realize how hard it would be to give up our Capri at least I know it would be extremely hard for me. I think I may know of a boat for you. I will do some checking and let you know what I have in mind.

          From: Jim Close <jaclose@...>
          Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 03:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
          To: capri26@yahoogroups.com<capri26@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: capri26@yahoogroups.com

          Richard,

          I'm sorry the sailing season did not work out as you hoped.   Thanks for letting me know that Temptress is coming available again.   I don't think I will be able to purchase her at this time, but will check with a couple friends to see if they are willing to take the leap now.

          Good luck with selling her through Sailing Texas.   I hope you can find a smaller baot to get on the water or at least make friends at the local sailing club so you can crew and be good company while getting time on the water.

          Best,

          Jim</ span>

          Message 5 of 12 , May 20, 2013
            Thanks Jim, I appreciate any help.

            This is a pretty darn good bargain at that price.
            But I'd also entertain any reasonable offers.

            There are two Capri 18s that I have my eye on.
            But I have to part with the 26 first.

            As for getting on the water, I still teach ASA 101 and 102
            about once a month,  That's always fun, and not much physical work.

            Regards,

            Richard

            Message 6 of 12 , May 20, 2013
              Thanks, Art.

              We have our eye on a couple of Capri 18s not far from here.
              But we have to part with Temptress first.

              Our first boat together was a Capri 18.  Dorothy learned to sail in it.
              She said it is the perfect retirement boat for us, so she want's to get another one.
              And I agree.  Light, agile, simple, inexpensive. It's a great little ship.
              Slow, of course.  There is only so much you can get out of a 16 foot waterline. :)
              But everything is in reach, the stresses are small, and it's sailing.

              But if you have an idea, Art, share it!
              I'd love to see what you have in mind.

              I'm still sailing some.
              I teach ASA 101 and 102 about once a month.
              That's fun, and not much exertion (for me any way! :) )

              Okay,. so while this hasn't gone down yet, it will. And I hope fairly soon.

              She's in excellent condition, although not as clean as we normally keep her.
              And a heck of a bargain for some lucky sailor!

              Which now brings me to the group...
              I need to step down and pass the flag.
              We need to nominate and elect (or draft/appoint) a new Commodore and Vice Commodore.

              Who has a nomination?
              Or a volunteer??

              Richard

              On 5/20/2013 6:52 AM, Artstree@... wrote:

              I think we all realize how hard it would be to give up our Capri at least I know it would be extremely hard for me. I think I may know of a boat for you. I will do some checking and let you know what I have in mind.

              http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/
            • Travis Jennings
              Message 7 of 12 , May 20, 2013
                I kind of know how you feel.  A couple of weeks ago someone from my marina approached me to tell me they needed to sell their 2005 Catalina 28 MK II and wanted to know if I would be interested.  And I think my response was like “Are you kidding?  Heck ya!”.  So I emailed a couple of people that have expressed interest in the past in my Capri 26 and I got the same response from one of them.  Saturday morning they set an appointment with me to look at the boat Sunday afternoon.  Although at first I was excited about the upgrade prospect, I spent all day Saturday feeling like I was contemplating filing divorce against my boat or something.

                I’m ASA104 certified.  What is ASA102?  I just looked at the site and don’t see that Standard there either?
                http://www.asa.com/lts-asa-standards-summary.html

                Travis
                Mari Sol, #176
                Arlington, TX

                Message 8 of 12 , May 20, 2013
                  On 5/20/2013 9:19 AM, Travis Jennings wrote:
[...]

                  101 is beginning Keel boat.
                  102 is second part - intermediate Keel boat.  But no certification involved.

                  102 level students are eligible for the school's Alumnus Sail on Sunday afternoon.
                  Can take passengers.
                  At least that's the way our school works.

                  http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/