Macerator pump

  • rdgeer1948
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2008
      To all,
      I think I have a Macerator pump that has been disconnected, I have a
      manual for it, it must be there somewhere. I'm looking for it, can
      anyone with one tell me where it is located?
      If not, I'd like to add one, any suggestions?
      Bob Geer
      Wind Runner
      Hull no. 165
    • longjim@ix.netcom.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2008

        Under the aft cabin bunk there is a hole that you can almost crawl into.  Lift up and remove the cusion, pull up the wood cover,  Grab a flashlight and put your head down in there and look to port.   My macerator pump was loose rolling around on the hull (aft side of port fiberglass wall near Head) in that compartment.   I screwed it down to that wall when I replaced it.   I ran a switch to a spot under the head sink (With a safety cover - like you see on missle launches - like a flip over red plastic lid on the switch) so that no one could mistake that you don't dump the tank in the marina.    That's a big no no.    [img] http://www.thingsstufftimes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/safetyswitch.jpg[/img]

        There is no clean way to replace it.  nasty water will leak out of the hoses unless you have 50 gal of fresh water to flush through it while 3 mi off shore.   (That's the law in California).

        I used rubber gloves, some bleach and a sponge to clean up the mess.

        You might also be able to access this via the closet in the head (But I couldn't).

        Good luck!

        I think I have a Macerator pump that has been disconnected, I have a
        manual for it, it must be there somewhere. I'm looking for it, can
        anyone with one tell me where it is located?
        If not, I'd like to add one, any suggestions?
        Bob Geer
        Wind Runner
        Hull no. 165

      • Leighton Westlake,Jr., PE, PLS
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2008

          Bob:

          Macerator pumps were an aftermarket addition usually at the dealer/marina.  Most were installed under the holding tank behind the linen locker valence in the head.

          Remove the partition to the right as you look into the linen locker under the counter top to the left of the head.  Mine was mounted upside down on the holding tank shelf and takes a double jointed person to remove it or a midget.  But it can be done.

          An inspection mirror helps to locate the important features before undergoing major demolition.  There should be a through hull fitting about 1 inch in diameter with a seacock ball valve to shut off the thru hull.  There is also a line from the holding tank to the macerator pump.

          Before disconnecting anything have a bunch of wood plugs to plug the hoses as there is residual waste in the lines that will come out. (It stinks!) A small plastic wash  pan or tray is helpful to catch what gets away and saves on cleanup.  When disconnecting the waste lines and reassembling, use all new stainless clamps doubled as the macerator should be at or below the waterline.

          It sounds like it is frozen and has not been used for a while.  Best toss it and replace it with a new one.  But an extra impeller for the pump as that goes first for dry rot.  Also when installing coat the impeller with head lube or vegetable oil and periodically flush lube or vegetable oil through the system to keep the impeller coated and moist to avoid dry rot and lock ups on the motor.  The motor shaft should have a screwdriver slot on the end.  Note where this is as if there is a lock up, a screwdriver, long arm and some elbow grease can save a complete disassembly.

          Before destroying your weekend, make sure the macerator pump fuse is not just blown.  It will save a lot of effort if it is.

          Signature-LDW

          Leighton D. Westlake Jr., PE, PLS

          Vice President and General Manager

          USA-5a division of DANIS LOGO