Re: New guys.

  • mikesails4him
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
      Hey guys. I just got into a partnership with a 1990 Capri 26. The Owner was way to busy with, well LIFE, and didn't have the time to keep her up and running. Well, she is back to life and looking good. We've cleaned her inside and out, washed the lines, washed the sails, getting the jib re-cut and cleaned, got the Universal Diesel working, (but it's not working now) and had a few good weeks of sailing before the motor quit starting. I've been looking around the old post looking for information on the starter problems.
      I've removed the starter, (the first time) and got it running. Now after about a month, it's not responding to the starter button. I removed it again today and the starter works great.
      I saw somewhere where someone replaced the wire from the starter button to the starter with a larger gauge wire. Any recommendations?

    • Artstree@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
        I do remember reading of service change like you are referring to. You may want to check with Catalina.

        There are other possibilities that may an issue as well:
        If the solonoid clicks but the starter does not turn then you need to have the starter checked out.
        If the solonoid doesn't click, then the voltage to the solonoid may be the issue. This could be to wire size or possibly corrosion at the contact points or maybe even no power at all to the contacts.
        If you feel comfortable doing electrical trouble shooting, you can check the voltage at several points on the system.
        You indicated that the engine had not been used in a while (years) then there may be some corrosion in the solonoid. Unless you have rebuilt starters before I recommend taking it to a shop.

        From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
        Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000
        To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: capri26@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [capri26] Re: New guys.

        Hey guys. I just got into a partnership with a 1990 Capri 26. The Owner was way to busy with, well LIFE, and didn't have the time to keep her up and running. Well, she is back to life and looking good. We've cleaned her inside and out, washed the lines, washed the sails, getting the jib re-cut and cleaned, got the Universal Diesel working, (but it's not working now) and had a few good weeks of sailing before the motor quit starting. I've been looking around the old post looking for information on the starter problems.
        I've removed the starter, (the first time) and got it running. Now after about a month, it's not responding to the starter button. I removed it again today and the starter works great.
        I saw somewhere where someone replaced the wire from the starter button to the starter with a larger gauge wire. Any recommendations?

        --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, Richard <cavelamb@...> wrote:

        > I just got the notice that we had three more new guys join up.
        >
        > I know, you guys just want to hide in the back of the room.
        > But it won't do.
        >
        > Ya'll come up here and introduce yourselves and you boats.
        >
        > And welcome to the group!
        >

        > --
        >
        > Richard Lamb
        > http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
        > http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

      • Mike Bowman
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
          thanks for your response! the solonoid doesn't click. I'm going to try the voltage issues!
          mike

          From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
          Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000
          To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: capri26@yahoogroups.com

          Hey guys. I just got into a partnership with a 1990 Capri 26. The Owner was way to busy with, well LIFE, and didn't have the time to keep her up and running. Well, she is back to life and looking good. We've cleaned her inside and out, washed the lines, washed the sails, getting the jib re-cut and cleaned, got the Universal Diesel working, (but it's not working now) and had a few good weeks of sailing before the motor quit starting. I've been looking around the old post looking for information on the starter problems.
          I've removed the starter, (the first time) and got it running. Now after about a month, it's not responding to the starter button. I removed it again today and the starter works great.
          I saw somewhere where someone replaced the wire from the starter button to the starter with a larger gauge wire. Any recommendations?

          --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, Richard <cavelamb@...> wrote:

          > I just got the notice that we had three more new guys join up.
          >
          > I know, you guys just want to hide in the back of the room.
          > But it won't do.
          >
          > Ya'll come up here and introduce yourselves and you boats.
          >
          > And welcome to the group!
          >

          > --
          >
          > Richard Lamb
          > http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
          > http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

        • Robert Unkel
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
            I would start with checking voltage at batteries, then in and out of the ignition switch, if good check both in and out of the starter button, then go to solenoid.

            If any drop in voltage check terminals, they can corrode at crimp and cause voltage drop. You might still see voltage, but there isn't enough wire capacity to carry the amperage needed to activate the solenoid.

            Keep us posted on your progress, you will get it solved.

            Bob Unkel

            Sent by an outspoken old person from his conservative launch pad.........

            From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
            Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 18, 2012

              Hey guys well it looks like that it's not a voltage issue at all.  Everything checked out in that end.... I even melted the battery post because we were getting strong voltage going to the starter.
              My Mech said that it sounds like we might have a cracked head gasket that is allowing water to sit on top of the cylinder preventing it to go to the top of the stroke.
              HMMMmmmmm more on this later when we pull the glow plugs!

              From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
              Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000

            • lencole01@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 18, 2012
                If you find water in cylinders consider the possibility that excessive cranking time when engine fails to start can cause water to back up from the water lift muffler and enter cylinders through exhaust valves. Muffler needs to be drained if engine fails to start after prolonged cranking.
                Just a thought.
                Len

                Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

                From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
                Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000

                  From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
                  Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000

                  Hey guys. I just got into a partnership with a 1990 Capri 26. The Owner was way to busy with, well LIFE, and didn't have the time to keep her up and running. Well, she is back to life and looking good. We've cleaned her inside and out, washed the lines, washed the sails, getting the jib re-cut and cleaned, got the Universal Diesel working, (but it's not working now) and had a few good weeks of sailing before the motor quit starting. I've been looking around the old post looking for information on the starter problems.
                  I've removed the starter, (the first time) and got it running. Now after about a month, it's not responding to the starter button. I removed it again today and the starter works great.
                  I saw somewhere where someone replaced the wire from the starter button to the starter with a larger gauge wire. Any recommendations?

                  --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, Richard <cavelamb@...> wrote:

                  > I just got the notice that we had three more new guys join up.
                  >
                  > I know, you guys just want to hide in the back of the room.
                  > But it won't do.
                  >
                  > Ya'll come up here and introduce yourselves and you boats.
                  >
                  > And welcome to the group!
                  >

                  > --
                  >
                  > Richard Lamb
                  > http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
                  > http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

                • Mike Irwin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 18, 2012
                    I had starting issues this summer and it turned out to the the glow plugs.

                    Every body I talk to told me it was never the glow plugs and I must have compression or fuel issues.

                    Pulled the glow plugs and tested them.  They were both bad.

                    I found the found affordable replacement glow plugs at a Kubota tractor dealer.   The universal diesel  part was way to expensive.   We have a Kubota Z400 block.

                    It took me 10 - 15 min to start even at 80 deg outside.   Draining both batteries in the process.  Once running and warm restarting wasn't an issue.

                    I suspect the 20 year old glow plugs had burned up when some of my buddies took/ borrowed the boat out for a cruise.  We suspect they left the key in the wrong position while they were at dinner, and that's how the glow plugs got burned up.

                    From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
                    Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 18, 2012
                      Well, I did have to change the exhaust hose after the old hose blew after the first time it cranked in 5 years. What would that have done?

                      From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
                      Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 18, 2012
                        You may have had too much water in the muffler, the manual references caution with extended cranking and water build up in the muffler.

                        Just a thought.  If water got backed up it could ave gotten back into the cylinder causing the hydro lock.

                        I believe Mark took a diesel class, perhaps he can offer so thoughts,

                        Bob

                        From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
                        Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 18, 2012
                          Pressure from the exhaust pushes out the water from the muffler. If you are not getting enough exhaust pressure the muffler may be filling and backing up. Check the exhaust out of the muffler to make sure it is not partially plugged.

                          You could also try a clear hose from the muffler drain to a tee inserted into the top water discharge line. This would act as a water level gage and give you an idea of how much the muffler is filling up .

                          From: Mike Bowman <mikesails4him@...>
                          Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:53:19 -0700 (PDT)
                          To: capri26@yahoogroups.com<capri26@yahoogroups.com>

                          From: "mikesails4him" <mikesails4him@...>
                          Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:34:01 -0000

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 18, 2012
                            yeah, I do know that the exhaust hose was dry rotten. In fact my mech told me not 30 min before it blew.... "man you need to keep an eye on that hose, It's probably going to blow any day now!"
                            Well,,,, it did!
                            I was getting good water coming out of the end of the boat while it was working a month ago. But I have been trying to crank it a good bit. so if there is water on top of the cylinder manybe it came from that.....
                            we'll see after we get in there!
                            thanks for all of your comments!
                            I'll keep you informed!
                            mike