Re: [capri26] leak in the port storage compartment

  • Travis Jennings
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9, 2012
    The rubber grommet around my manual bilge pump is all dried & cracked.  I can't find a matching replacement.  Does anyone know where I can find one like the attached photo?  Catalina said that is installed by the dealer?  I called them and the part they linked me to is what they are currently installing, not the one they used in '91, and it's not the same.  It's quite a long hole.  I put white duck tape over it for now.

    The leak is not as bad but still there.  I watched from inside and I think there is a leak from the gear shift in the cockpit.  I found the manufacturer and emailed them and they told me it doesn't have any bearing or seals that need replacing.  They said to grease it up with a good marine grease.  Has anyone ever taken the gear shift & throttle apart, greased it, and resealed it?

    Thanks,
    Travis

    Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9, 2012
      Travis:

      The bilge pump you have is what was originally spec'ed for the Capri. If I remember right the pump is manufactured in UK. I did an article on it for mainsheet. I can send it to you tomorrow. I think they still have parts. Otherwise you can use an insert and change the pump to a Whale.

      From: Travis Jennings <twjennings@...>
      Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 18:47:29 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: capri26@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [capri26] leak in the port storage compartment [1 Attachment]

      Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9, 2012
      Travis:

      My hull #206 has the same pump. It is a Patay pump, manufactured in the UK.
      After a long research I succesfully located a dealer and ordered and replaced the parts.
      Here is the information:

      To ensure that the pump will operate, I was recommended to order all three items:
      - Rocker Arm Assembly (old style) S1897 which is £10.19 less 20% discount, i.e. £8.15.
      - Service Kit which contains replacement diaphragm, valves, diaphragm plate and fixings, stock code S1851 priced at £13.59 less 20% i.e. £10.87.
      - Through Deck Seal Kit for SD60 old style, stock code B2155. The price is £9.17 less 20% discount, i.e. £7.34.

      Here is the email and contact information: web site: URL: www.online-pumpshop.com

      Ruth Harris at sales@... or in@...
      I had completed this project two years ago, and the total cost for the above parts including postage came to £34.86.

      Good luck!

      Jim

      Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2012
        Thanks!  I think maybe one of the previous owners replaced the pump, but left the same thru hull. The pump says "Guzzler 400" which I think I found here:
        But the the thru hull says "Patay Pumps".  I just wonder if I got the thru hull from Bosworth if it would fit the same hole in the fiberglass?

        Here's the engine controls:
        I need to figure out how to stop if from leaking when it rains.

        Message 5 of 9 , Sep 9, 2012
          I'll check to see what my pump says, and let you know.

          Thank you for the tip; I'll see whether the water sips through the engine controls. We had all day downpour the other day.
          I personally would prefer the single  lever control made by Vetus. (this will be my next project)

          Jim

          Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2012
            I have one of those original pumps.  I could not find any parts or any manufacturer still in business.  Yes, please share what you have and what you know.

            Bob White

            Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2012 9:04 PM