Standing Rigging

  • J P
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2012
      This fall I will lower the mast after 3 full seasons being erect. I intend to replace the current CDI unit. At the same time for ease of mind I intend to replace the standing rigging, back/front and lower and upper shrouds. Insurance companies here in Canada are getting stricter with aging sailboats, although my 1992 hull 206 has only seen lake water and it is in tip top shape.
      I was referencing the rigging charts available and the lengths tend to vary from drawing exhibit number 260-34001 – 3 and 9. Perhaps I can take the existing ones to the rigging shop for better fit.
      Here in Canada marine suppies are usually 50% more expensive than in US, thus I was thinking of getting the turnbuckles from Garhauer Inc.
      With wire size 3/16 can I get 3/8 turnbuckle size, or will I have issues with the pin size at the chain plate?
      Also I have narrowed my choices to: Furlex 55-10 Furling System, Schaeffer CF700, or Harken 00, any suggestions on the furling choice??

      Many thanks

      Jim