Re: [capri26] Impeller fryied!

  • Robert Unkel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2012
      Jim,

      You are not the first person to do this so don't worry about it! Unless you ran the motor in overheated condition for more than a couple of minutes, don't think you did any damage.  Since it flushed out the old broken pieces and temperature is now normal, sounds like all lis well.

      Bob
      On Jun 18, 2012, at 1:04 AM, J P wrote:

      The other day I launched my C26 for the season, at low rpm I started to move to my slip. Within 8 minutes just 2 minutes before reaching my destination I noticed that the temperature gage reached its max. Stopped the engine; to my stupidity, I noticed that I forgot to open the water in take valve.
      I restarted the engine with the valve open; as there was no water spray from the exhaust and the temperature was the max, I shut the engine in order not to do further damage.

      I inspected the impeller; it had disintegrated and pieces of rubber were embedded inside the housing. I took all the hoses, flushed the heat exchange, and removed all the rubber pieces. With a new impeller (09000K), fired the engine. Black residue from the rubber was pumped out the exhaust followed by a healthy flow of continuous water spray.
      I took the boat for a spin, the max temperature ranged between 140 to 160 degrees. My engine has 163 hours. I hope due to my carelessness the damage did not extend beyond replacing the impeller.
      Question: Could there be more damage that I am not aware of. What else should I check?

      Thanks Jim