Trouble Raising Main - Mainsail Slug Size ?

  • jeanjunker@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2012
      My NEW mainsail is VERY hard to raise to the point that I am worrying about breaking the halyard.

      Even when it comes down the sail slugs seem to "Catch" in the mast track once in a while.

      What SIZE sail slugs should there be on my new sail? I am worried that maybe they are TOO SMALL and are catching as they go up/down.

      I sprayed the slugs and lower mast with sail-kote lube but not much help. Any feedback or other Thoughts appreciated...

      Jean Junker
      New Braunfels TX
      Coyote #101
    • Artstree@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2012
        You are right it does take a special sail lug. My sail maker caught that when he repaired my sail. If you still have your old sail compare the lugs. If not check with Catalina. I will not be at the boat for another week so I can't give you specifics.

        From: "jeanjunker@..." <jeanjunker@...>
        Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 10:17:49 -0000
        To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: capri26@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [capri26] Trouble Raising Main - Mainsail Slug Size ?

        My NEW mainsail is VERY hard to raise to the point that I am worrying about breaking the halyard.

        Even when it comes down the sail slugs seem to "Catch" in the mast track once in a while.

        What SIZE sail slugs should there be on my new sail? I am worried that maybe they are TOO SMALL and are catching as they go up/down.

        I sprayed the slugs and lower mast with sail-kote lube but not much help. Any feedback or other Thoughts appreciated...

        Jean Junker
        New Braunfels TX
        Coyote #101

      • Michael & Susan
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2012
          I had to replace a few that had broke and ordered new ones from Catalina Direct, unfortunately those did not work. I ended up going to the North Sails Loft here in San Diego, where they had a huge selection to choose from.

          Mike Cobas
          Fallbrook,Ca
          Erendira #36

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2012
            You'll tear the sail before you break the halyard!
            And yes, you got it - too small.

            I had the same problem first time. Not a lot of
            info out there for the sailmakers to go by so they
            guess it must be like a Catalina 25.  It's NOT.

            The correct part is a plastic slug with steel bale -
            Bainbridge Aquabatten(sp?)   7/16" diameter
            part number A018S.

            Mariner has them in stock (we aren't the only one
            that uses them, but they are the only one that works
            for us), and can fix that for you quickly.

            11110 North Stemmons Freeway  Dallas, TX 75229
            972-241-1499

            --

            Richard Lamb
            http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

          • Peter Galizia
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2012
              Interesting, something may have changed over the years. I have hull 317 and my slugs are all plastic. I buy the standard plastic slugs from West Marine. They seem to work. Super Lube spray lubricant seems to help cut down on friction, but I haven't used it in years.
              Pete

              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2012
                I agree, mine are plastic on both the original Catalina main and the North main. I get replacements at my local sailboat dealer. I am hull 107.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2012
                  Ok.  But the part number I gave was for the steel bale version.
                  I'm sure the plastic ones would work just as well - as long as they are the right size :)

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2012
                    McLube Sail Kote is a good spray lube to use.

                    Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:11 PM

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 27, 2012
                      Jean:

                      I am not sure if you have gotten you sail slug problem worked out or not, but here is a recent experience I encountered.

                      When I set up Sea Belle this year. I noticed one of the sail slugs was broken so I removed one of the old ones and headed to the sail loft. I gave my sail maker the old one, and after about 10 minutes, he returned with one that was similar but not the exact size. The new one had a reinforcement shoulder on it and we were both concerned on how it would fit in the track. So he trimmed one down to closely match the original and I bought a second one to experiment with:

                      Measurement Location

                      Original Dim

                      New Dim.

                      Tab Width

                      0.61

                      0.70

                      Tab Thickness

                      0.11

                      0.11

                      Tab Length

                      1.18

                      1.28

                      Loop Diameter

                      0.25

                      0.28

                      Reinforcement Shoulder Area

                      0.27

                      0.35

                      Measured in Inches

                      The width of the sail groove is 0.37 inches so in theory  it should have fit, but this is where you could be having some problems. The loading slot for Sea Belle (#151) is 0.56 wide. After trimming the reinforcement Shoulder sides to match the loop diameter I slowly trimmed the width until I got it to fit in the loading slot. The maximum width was 0.67". I think the .07 tab width is fine but it would not load in the grove without the additional trimming. Additionally he mentioned that you may want to round the edges of the flange for a smoother operation.

                      I will do some more research on slugs and see if I find anything else. At least I now have a spare.