Re: [capri26] Batteries

  • waterwindsail@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 14 5:21 AM
      Yes I have an inboard charge and the boat is connected to power at a slip each nite. My motor does not charge the battery. Id like to have enough amps to run my auto tiller at least several hours and have power for 12 hours I use my batteries in parallel. I thought I'd get a 5 watt solar from west marine to help maintain the batteries on a long day trip but I heard they don't really charge but only maintain it from losing more voltage

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 14, 2012, at 7:59 AM, Artstree@... wrote:

      The battery life depends on the maintenance and the cost depends on how much maintenance you want to do. I have been using the Sears Die Hard marine batteries for about 20 years on various boats and they have served me well and only cost

      about $100. If you have an onboard charger that is plugged into shore power you may want to have a maintenance free battery. I pull mine at the end of every season, fill with water and put them on a trickle charger over the winter. during sailing season I do not have shore power so I us a 6 watt solar panel for one battery and the motor to charge the other. With two batteries I have not had any problems except when I forget and leave the battery switch on.

      Light, radios and pumps are the big power hogs. Change the lights to led's and keep the other off line as much possible.

      Art Harden
      CCSA Commodore
      Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
      937.885.9380 (o)
      937.477.5544 (m)

      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 18 1:33 PM
        Poor choice of words on my part!  It sounds like you have excess resistance in the circuit causing the drop in voltage.  The wires inside the mast might be damaged, the plug or wiring to the mast could also be damaged or corroded, or the socket may be corroded all of which could increase the voltage drop causing the symptoms you are seeing.

        A battery test can confirm a dead cell.

        Sent by an outspoken old person from his conservative launch pad.........

        On Apr 18, 2012, at 7:23 AM, Waterwindsail <waterwindsail@...> wrote:

        Thanks Bob- what is a "partially grounded wire" ? The anchor light issue would be easy to fix if I had the mast down- I replaced the light when the mast was down and checked it with a battery a few months ago- then I had a rigger step the mast and made the connections--

        I am also concerned that my battery may have a dead cell and will replace two of them in any case

        From: recess12@... <recess12@...>
        To: capri26@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 9:51 AM

        Another question on batteries.  I went from group 24 to group 27.  The make is Deka by East Penn  Mfg which is the Gel battery.  .  The same battery West Marine sells for $100 more.   A friend asked if my alternator can handle the group 27 batteries.  My answer was "Duh." Can someone explain his question?

        Mike