hual speed

  • billhutchaz
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
      my knot meter does not work... can anyone tell me what i can expect speed to be in 10 knots with 150 genny. trying to figue distance for sailing down west coast this summer. thank,hutch
    • Leighton Westlake
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012

        With the knot meter not working, it is time to consider a knot meter that is removable when not being used.  It is a lot easier to change out.

        Speed depends on the point of sail.  In 10 knots with the hull clean and trim perfect 5-6 knots.  A few weeks ago I was getting 6.5 to 6.8 knots on a near reach in similar condition with flat seas with a slight chop.  Depending on conditions, this is a is the high estimate.  Gusty winds or variable directions will significantly reduce the speed of the boat as will the hull condition.

        My boat was delivered at my request with an OB to make it a “pure” sailboat when the engine is out of the water.  It means about ½ knot.

        If you have an inboard and the prop is folding or fixed will mean about ½ knot in light winds.  When sailing on a reach of any nature, the Genoa tracks on the deck are useless.  The sheet needs to be far forward (farther than the end of the standard track locations) and outside the rail.  Snatch blocks and Barber Hauler are in order here to get the correct sheeting angle.  I don’t even use my 150 Genoa anymore and a good working jib does well in any wind except really light winds and then, if possible, I use a spinnaker.

        Another item is the sheet itself.  Use smaller sheets than are supplied with the boat generally 3/8.  In light air the sheet can weigh down the sail and cause deformity in the sail that slows the boat.  On a cruise there is plenty of time to tweak the sails to a perfect trim.  I use 5/16 sheets or even ¼ sheets for light air (<15 knots).

        Signature-LDW

        Leighton Danis Westlake, Jr., PE, PLS

        Principal Engineer

        a division of DANIS LOGO

        10175 Flag Dr, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-4775

        Tel:  561-799-5280

        Fax: 561-799-5776                                                                                                       )

        Cell: 561-222-0714

        email: leighton@...

        Privilaged Correspondence

        This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), you may not retain copy or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose or disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person. Any such dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. Please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachment from your computer.

        my knot meter does not work... can anyone tell me what i can expect speed to be in 10 knots with 150 genny. trying to figue distance for sailing down west coast this summer. thank,hutch

        No virus found in this message.

      • Artstree@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
          If you are planing an extended trip I would plan on 30-40 miles a day. That gives you about 6 to 8 hours sailing time and then a chance to find a port and rest for the evening. Obviously if the winds are right you can make more distance and if you have all the right equipment you can extend the time. I have motor-sailed a 36 footer as much as 100 miles in one day but that was one long trip and we had a crew of 4 to help and rotated watches. The only reason we did that was that we were delivering a boat for a boat show.

          If you leave out of a anchorage about 9:00, sail for about 7 hours add 2 hours to get clean up for the evening and settled in the new anchorage, you then have time to rest and relax and explore the new area. Sounds like it would be a fun trip.

        • waterwindsail@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
            In line with that question what is the maximum hull speed of our boat?

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 9, 2012, at 9:57 AM, "billhutchaz" <hutch007@...> wrote:

            my knot meter does not work... can anyone tell me what i can expect speed to be in 10 knots with 150 genny. trying to figue distance for sailing down west coast this summer. thank,hutch

            =
          • Leighton Westlake

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
                Re: [capri26] hual speed I presume you verified there is no fouling of the impeller.  Often I need to brush mine clean to make the knotmeter work.

                Gary Pack
                Breez’n Bye

                On 4/9/12 8:57 AM, "billhutchaz" <hutch007@...> wrote:

                my knot meter does not work... can anyone tell me what i can expect speed to be in 10 knots with 150 genny. trying to figue distance for sailing down west coast this summer. thank,hutch

              • bill hutchinson
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 10, 2012

                  Yes, Its clean, I have pull it to insure status spins fine, the read out just beeps and doesn’t  display when powered up.

                  Thanks,hutch