NASA Ocean currents - Van Gogh style

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2012
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2012
      • Bob White
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2012
          This one is very helpful.  Thanks!

          From: Richard
          Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:34 AM
          To: undisclosed-recipients:
          Subject: [capri26] Wind map...

        • Waterwindsail
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2012
            I am purchasing a new 145% Doyle Genoa. They said the tack should be sheeted on the deck 15 feet from the headstay. I see that in most pictures the track on our boats is placed a bit farther back almost on the edge of the cockpit.  Also I dont know if the track should be placed close to the cabin or out on the edge of the deck or in the middle. any thoughts?

            Ralph Sperry
            Boston
            Catalina Capri #1

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2012
              Ralph,

              Pull up the deck drawing and check the track placement  on the starboard side.
              (they only drew it on on that side)

              Save that drawing and check out all the others while you are there.
              There is a LOT of information there.

              The link below will take you to the deck drawing located in the group files section.
              The full link is below, but it will probably wrap and not work without fixing up.
              Hence the TinyURL link

              http://tinyurl.com/89lerkn

              http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/ADJ-Twm-LEOMEDQB--6nMdvrG3B3ZVs_GzZHACuee0plBEfnRq5G50wUcl_RoJCoCuFA_yg4zqo52oJiWz3i14CrVGDYZz8/Capri%2026%20Drawings/Deck.JPG

              Richard

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2012
                Richard- thanks for the information! Can you check the links- they dont work for me.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2012

                  If you use the original Catalina drawings the sheeting will be too far back for any sail.  The original drawings show the track against the cabin trunk.  If you do this, unless you intend to use the sailing very light air, the sail will severely backwind the main.

                  I followed the original drawings and ended up putting additional tracks forward and on the rail to cure the sheeting angle and the issues when off the wind.  A good snatch block and feeding the sheet under the rail when reaching immensely improves performance to the point that 8 knots is very common reaching.

                  Because of the design of the 26 with the short J dimension my advice is to forego the genoas and get a really good 100-110 jib.  The 26 sails like a fractional rig although it is a masthead.  I get better performance with a 105 to the wind except in real light air and it cures a lot of handling problems at higher wind speeds.

                  Signature-LDW

                  Leighton Danis Westlake, Jr., PE, PLS

                  Principal Engineer

                  a division of DANIS LOGO

                  10175 Flag Dr, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-4775

                  Tel:  561-799-5280

                  Fax: 561-799-5776                                                                                                       )

                  Cell: 561-222-0714

                  email: leighton@...

                  Privilaged Correspondence

                  This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), you may not retain copy or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose or disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person. Any such dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. Please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachment from your computer.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2012
                    Odd, both links work for me.
                    This one _should_ always work, but computers being what they are... maybe not.

                    http://tinyurl.com/89lerkn

                    But if they aren't working for you then try this...
                    Go to the group web site.
                    That means running your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc) and going to

                    OR

                    If you are getting individual messages, at the bottom of the message are several links.
                    Click on the one that says "Reply via Web Post".
                    That will load the browser and whisk you off to the group site automatically.
                    It will wind up with the web message editor, but ignore that and look on the left hand column of the screen.

                    Find the FILES link and click that once.

                    Then find the "C26 Drawings" selection - click that once.

                    Now you are in hog heaven!
                    These are all documents for the Capri 26.

                    You will want - well, all of them basically, but at the moment
                    Deck.JPG
                    It will give you the basic information.
                    Then the rest of the guys can chime in with more useful information.

                    If you point the mouse at a file and click the RIGHT mouse button, you will see a menu pop up that
                    lets you save the file to your computer.  Usually it will say "save image as" or "Save Link as".

                    See if that helps?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 8, 2012
                      Do you have a picture of where you put the additional tracks? Where are you attaching the snatch blocks when you are reaching? Thanks for the info.

                      - Mark and M'lou
                          Raven #77

                      On Apr 5, 2012, at 10:18 PM, Leighton Westlake wrote:

[...]

                      <image001.jpg>

                      Leighton Danis Westlake, Jr., PE, PLS

                      Principal Engineer

                      <image002.jpg>a division of <image003.jpg>