Jiffy Reefing system

  • Bob White
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012

      Can anyone photgraph the end of the boom and how the lines go from the inside of the boom to the grommets and back to the boom?  I moved my boat and cannot figure out how the lines go.

      Thanks, #157  (1991)
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2012
        On 2/1/2012 8:58 PM, Bob White wrote:

        Can anyone photgraph the end of the boom and how the lines go from the inside of the boom to the grommets and back to the boom?  I moved my boat and cannot figure out how the lines go.

        Thanks, #157  (1991)
        _

        Hi Bob,

        I thought I had pics, but couldn't find them.
        I did find the Catalina drawing though.

        The stock arrangement is a single line (see the diagrams below)
        I tried it a couple of times but the friction was horrendous.

        I have an eye riveted to the starboard side of the boom where the reefing line terminates
        (just a bowline), but the drawing shows the line being tied to the boom.

        From there the line goes up to the grommet, down the port side of the sail to the pulley on the port side of the boom
        (in the aft fitting block).
         From there is runs through the boom to the front, then turns DOWN, goes through the fairlead on the port side of the mast,
        back UP through the grommet at the front, down to the fairlead on the st'bd side of the mast, then to the turning bocks at the
        base of the mast and aft to the cockpit.

        Single line system.

        Two line system.  (although the aft line runs internally).
        I've been using my Cunningham for the front line, which means going forward to hook it up.
        But the line reaches to the cockpit, so I can set the reef from there once hooked up.

        Eye where the reefing line attaches to the boom...

        --

        Richard Lamb
        http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

      • Bob White
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2012
          I have the same drawing but that is definitely NOT the way mine is set up.  It almost appears as if the end of the reef line disappears into the boom.  There is no such thing happening on my boom.  It really has never worked correctly.  Perhaps the next time I am at the boat (as the weather warms), I can take some photos.  an old salt once helped me set up something on the side of the boom to help HOLD DOWN the reef in higher winds.  It worked fine until I had to move the boat last spring.  Now, trying to figure out how to do the END of the line (not the line that is pulled on the cabin top to the winch) which will hold down the reef is a bit of a mystery.

          Can anyone photgraph the end of the boom and how the lines go from the inside of the boom to the grommets and back to the boom?  I moved my boat and cannot figure out how the lines go.

          Thanks, #157  (1991)
          _

          Hi Bob,

          I thought I had pics, but couldn't find them.
          I did find the Catalina drawing though.

          The stock arrangement is a single line (see the diagrams below)
          I tried it a couple of times but the friction was horrendous.

          I have an eye riveted to the starboard side of the boom where the reefing line terminates
          (just a bowline), but the drawing shows the line being tied to the boom.

          From there the line goes up to the grommet, down the port side of the sail to the pulley on the port side of the boom
          (in the aft fitting block).
          From there is runs through the boom to the front, then turns DOWN, goes through the fairlead on the port side of the mast,
          back UP through the grommet at the front, down to the fairlead on the st'bd side of the mast, then to the turning bocks at the
          base of the mast and aft to the cockpit.

          Single line system.

          Two line system.  (although the aft line runs internally).
          I've been using my Cunningham for the front line, which means going forward to hook it up.
          But the line reaches to the cockpit, so I can set the reef from there once hooked up.

          Eye where the reefing line attaches to the boom...

          --

          Richard Lamb
          http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
          http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

        • Mark Miller and M'lou Brubaker
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2012
            Dear Members,
            I recently had an article published in the Mainsheet ( March
            issue ) in our section and I'm wondering if I could get a few copies
            sent to me when you are done with yours. I'd gladly pay for the
            postage. Hope you all enjoyed the article as much as I did writing it.
            My address is;
            Mark Miller
            14015 W. Co Rd 578
            Goodland ,Mn 55742

            - Mark and M'lou
            " Raven " #77
          • sailorartman
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
              Well I found my to do do-hicky and used it to post about a ten article on the Yahoo web page under a file folder called Mainsheet articles. There are two sub folders; one for Commodore Articles and a second one for Tech Articles. The Tech Articles range from trailering the boat, to engines, to rig tuning. I have a few more to post I will get them up there soon. Additionally, the dates on the files are the ones when I posted to the Mainsheet page which is about 2.5 months before it is published. So you may find that some of the text does not correlate with the file date.

              I hope you enjoy them. As I get time I will go back through past Mainsheet issues and post the Commodor's Section
            • Richard
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
                Art,

                Thanks for doing that.  It will be handy, I'm sure.

                And than you for the "Get Well wish ".
                The surgery came off ok, and I'm getting back on my feet.

                I've actually been out sailing a few times, but that's with a full crew!.
                They wouldn't let me do much strenuous work.
                But I'm hoping to be able to go back to work teaching sailing in May.

                I'll try to pick up the thread and write something for you.
                I think I left off at moving the boat across Dallas.
                Boy that was a tense day!

                While on the subject, I will once again call for articles, tricks and tips,
                how-to's, sea stories, Mom's favorite recipes, and what ever else
                that our members would like to see in print.

                A short piece about you, your family, your boat, where you sail,
                why you sail, how you learned, along with a high res glamor shot
                or two of your boat could get you almost famous (well, in our little
                world any way?).

                It would sure help!

                There is nothing to writing.
                All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
                                                           Ernest Hemingway

                Thaks all,

                Richard