Re: [capri26] End of season

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 959 KB
    Thank you, Art.

    I'm trying not to whine (not that it sounded like you were saying that).

    It just feel like I'm wusing out.  I hate being helpless.  It's a new and very
    uncomfortable position.   I guess I'm just getting old and my misspent youth
    is catching up with me.  By the way, that old saw is right - getting old ain't for sissies!

    On the UP side, D's new job is with Methodist Hospitals of Dallas.
    BIG change from VA!  :)  I mean Day and Night BIG Change!
    We have to schedule around the paying patients, but our health care
    is free as long as we use Methodist hospitals.  Timely, what?
    I just got back home from Dallas today.  Test completed - awaiting results.

    We rented a nice apartment there (North west corner  - aka the Colony) -
    D is staying there during the week. I'll be moving there by the end of the month.

    I offered to put Temptress up for adoption in order to have a down payment
    for a house, but got vetoed.

    On the DOWN side, I was appalled by the marinas on Lake Lewisville.
    It has turned into a Big Power Boat Lake, at least according to the marinas I've visited.
    The smallest slip available is 32 feet - $290 a month.
    I still have two more to check out (next week maybe)

    Lake Ray Hubbard (east side of Dallas) is still there.  It's a small lake - but bigger than a puddle.
    Dallas Race Week meets there every two years.  The slips are still reasonable and sail is king!

    I did find a boatyard that I liked a lot.  Roy's Boatyard in Lewisville.
    So I'll probably put her on the hard there until spring (unless a reasonable slip pops up)
    for a bottom job, and a few other small things.  I'd like to move the motor (Yamaha) to
    starboard side to (1) see what that does to lateral trim and (2) be able to steer it from
    the cockpit.  I've been doing the Texas Two-Step from controls to the Laying-On-of-Hands-
    on the-Yamaha to steer the motor.

    I used to know who's boat this was (attached Pic), but I can't quite pull it out.  If I could run
    the throttle and gearshift up that long stick, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    With the motor steerable there is no problem maneuvering in tight spaces.  But with it
    fixed in place, it's a lot more fun that I want to have these days.

    Anyway, we are scheduled on the travel hoist on the 15th.
    Film at 11?

    On 10/30/2011 4:01 PM, Artstree@... wrote:

    As everyone can see from Richard email, he has had a lot going on this season and it looks like it is not going to end anytime soon. With this in mind, we need to help him out on the Mainsheet quarterly articles. Please forward to me (artstree@...) any articles or stories from you sailing adventures along with about 4-5 photos that you would like published. If you do not want to write a full article, I will be willing to ghost write it based on your notes and comments that you forward.
    Your choices are interesting stories from other members or an extra (2nd), dull, tech article from me. The dead line for the spring publication is the first of December. So don't delay. Some ideas for articles are:
    • How did the boys in the south contend with the hot summer and triple digit heat.
    • A special cruise or overnight stay in a particular location.
    • Sailing race with a close call or even the party after the race

    When I took English Composition (WAY back last century) we were given a word count target.
    That was for grade, of course, so the target was tight - 500 words +/- 5.

    We don't need to be quite that bad here, but a stated target word count would be helpful.

    Also, modifications made?  (that's kinda how I got here)
       Stephen?  Your outhaul upgrade would be a great one.  You even have art!

       I need to write up the Boom Kicker finally.  (I like it a lot) but that's another dull tech article.
       and the 1/2 berth setup.  That one was all but done. Just needed to be dropped in place.
       It's doubles the starboard berth in the cabin.

    Uhm, have you ever towed in a power boat that ran out of gas?? That's fun!

    Also, I would like to get time-line-history of some of the design changes that have occurred on the Capri 26. I will be sending out questionnaire on various changes over the years. It will be interesting to see when some of the design changes were implemented based on hull numbers and when they were built..

    Boat 142 - 1991  TALL rig!  :)

    Traveler over the companionway instead of across the cockpit.
    Boat 110 (?) is also here and has the traveler across the cockpit - and I believe she has the documented rig.
    I've been trying to contact the owner for the last two years.  It's about time to drop another note down the hatch.

    140 pounds of lead under the galley leveled her out real nice.
    (We were like the Black Pearl - she listed to port a bit)

    --

    Richard Lamb
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

  • Travis Jennings
    Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011
      Have you looked at Grapevine yet?  That's close to the Colony.  Grapevine Sailing Club is at Scott's Landing.  They have a lot of active members, both racing, and social, including ASA instructors.
      www.grapevinesailing.org

      Twin Coves Marina is on the North side.  And they have Little Pete's there.

      The other Capri 26 on Joe Pool is hull #16 Flash of Green owned by a guy named Martin.  I told him about this list and I think he singed up.

      Travis
      s/v Mari Sol #176

      Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011
        We've been on Grapevine for 14 years, and we like it. It's small, but that seems to limit the # of speed boats. Typically there are a good number of sailors and fishermen out. The lake's about 6 miles long East to West. Since wind is typically from the South, you can usually sail 5-6 miles with a minimum of tacs. Grapevine is deep, and depth varies a lot, but we've always had plenty of water under the keel. It has gotten low & high enough to render all ramps useless, but that's really rare. We're at Twin Coves which is in the middle of the lake. The West end of the lake has less wind while the East end of the lake gets lots of wind off DFW. Scotts Landing and Silver Lake are on the East end, and the Grapevine sailing club is at Scott's Landing. The lake also have a good July 4th show and fireworks every Friday night in the summer.
        Pete

        Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011
          Travis, Peter,

          Thanks shipmates.
          No, I hadn't considered Grapevine before.
          But it's high on the list now. (Joe Poole too, but that's further south)
          And yes, with the prevailing winds North/South it looks like it may have
          a fair run.

          I didn't realize there was a difference in the wind on opposite ends.
          Interesting.

          The numbers I found for marinas on Grapevine are for Twin Coves,
          Silverlake, and Scott's Landing.

          =Break=

          I saw a note that someone had joined a few days back.

          Martin? isat you? Say Hi, guy!
          Boat number 16, huh?
          I think Art wants to hear from you too.

          If not Martin, then who?
          Kindly step up to the keyboard and introduce yourself!

          --

          Richard Lamb
          http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
          http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
        • geobarlow
          Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2011
            You should investigate Eagle Mountain Lake and the Fort Worth Boat Club. Racing every Sunday. Reasonable slip fees.

            --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <galiziap@...> wrote:

            > We've been on Grapevine for 14 years, and we like it. It's small, but that seems to limit the # of speed boats. Typically there are a good number of sailors and fishermen out. The lake's about 6 miles long East to West. Since wind is typically from the South, you can usually sail 5-6 miles with a minimum of tacs. Grapevine is deep, and depth varies a lot, but we've always had plenty of water under the keel. It has gotten low & high enough to render all ramps useless, but that's really rare. We're at Twin Coves which is in the middle of the lake. The West end of the lake has less wind while the East end of the lake gets lots of wind off DFW. Scotts Landing and Silver Lake are on the East end, and the Grapevine sailing club is at Scott's Landing. The lake also have a good July 4th show and fireworks every Friday night in the summer.
            > Pete
            >
            > --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, Travis Jennings <twjennings@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Have you looked at Grapevine yet?  That's close to the Colony.  Grapevine
            > > Sailing Club is at Scott's Landing.  They have a lot of active members, both
            > > racing, and social, including ASA instructors.
            > > www.grapevinesailing.org
            > > http://www.scottslandingmarina.com/
            > >
            > > Twin Coves Marina is on the North side.  And they have Little Pete's there.
            > > http://www.twincovesmarina.com/
            > >
            > > The other Capri 26 on Joe Pool is hull #16 Flash of Green owned by a guy named
            > > Martin.  I told him about this list and I think he singed up.
            > >

            > > Travis
            > > s/v Mari Sol #176
            > >

            > > ________________________________

          • Mark Miller and M'lou Brubaker
            Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2011
              Richard,
                    Did you ever send an e-mail out telling us what that big black wire was at the bottom of your mast? If you did I missed it.

              - Mark and Mlou
                 " Raven" #77

              On Oct 29, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Richard wrote:

              Hi all,

              Well, it has been an "interesting" year... And I've not been here much.
              I thought maybe I should report in...

              And - I have a question to ask that I can't figure out...

              As the old saying should go, "that that does not kill me - makes me older".
              And hopefully wiser.

              But I'm getting back on my feet again, at least for the moment, and
              bored out of what mind I have left.

              Between the weather (hottest summer in Texas since the battle at the
              Alamo), the drought (our lake is
              down 20 feet - Lake Travis in Austin is down over 50 (rice growers and
              electricity) , and an unexpected
              medical issue, we didn't get to sail much this year.

              I had a close encounter with a possible stroke/heart attack (a wee bit
              miss-medicated by the local VA clinic).
              It could have been worse - a LOT worse - but Dorothy figured it out
              before it went that far.

              In 2006, my sweetie, Dorothy, lost her job when the clinic we moved to
              Dallas for her to take the job for
              sold out to a management company (4 months after we moved there!). She
              has been hustling ever
              since trying to stay gainfully employed (she does medical transcription)
              - but working from home
              hardly pays the bills. So she typed 8-10 hours a day - mostly for
              medical insurance for her daughters.
              And trying to help pay a few bills when she could.

              Two more of the outfits she has worked for the last couple of years also
              folded, stiffing her for several
              weeks pay each time. ((I'd say there outta be a law, but I suspect
              congress would mess that up too))

              So, beyond staying upright, it's been a challenge to stay solvent as well.

              But early last month she got a call from Methodist Hospitals of Dallas
              to go to work for them!
              She applied last year. But it's a good job, good money (yea!~), and
              REALLY good health insurance
              (all free at any Methodist facility!)

              It's a blessing, and timely, but it's 88 miles from here - too far to
              realistically commute through the worst
              of Dallas traffic daily. So it looks like we are moving back to
              civilization (again).

              End of Season

              This season seems to be coming to an abrupt end with the first rain of
              the summer ( Really!) combined
              with freezing rain and sleet?!? We were 117 degrees just a very few
              weeks back, and 61 today?

              My trailer was finally finished - but there were some real serious
              problems with it. (Happened while I was
              out of commission, but at least we have a trailer now). I think all that
              has been sorted out now
              (We will find out soon enough, eh?).

              But that brings me to my most recent quandary - pulling the boat.

              Yeah yeah, sure, you northerners do this every year (hey - not picking -
              just saying) but this is the first time I'll pull this boat - ever!

              With fresh bottom paint in the spring, her next time out it will be
              several years down the road (hopefully!)

              But first we have to get her out and on the trailer.

              I'm scheduled on th travel hoist Nov 15 (but November is wide open
              for the lift schedule).

              Then came - OOPS!

              I've been trying to figure out everything that needs to be done and get
              it all in order so that we can drop
              the mast and fly the boat without any unexpected problems.

              That's when I came across this little question...
              (see attached pic).
              That's the base of the mast - with three cables coming out of it.
              The two on the left have connectors. The white one is obviously the VHF
              antenna cable.
              Dunno what the black one is, guessing by size it's the wires for the
              wind instruments (Direction and speed)?

              But the one on the right - the fat one one with no connector - what's
              that one???
              Lights wires? masthead, deck lights, steaming light?

              Or do I have the lights cable and wind instruments backwards?

              Anyway, that's the stumper...

              It doesn't really matter what the wires go to.
              What matters is how to disconnect them!

              What do I do about that one??? The one without the connector?

              Message 7 of 13 , Dec 15, 2011
                Mark Miller and M'lou Brubaker wrote:

                > Richard,
                >
                > Did you ever send an e-mail out telling us what that big black
                > wire was at the bottom of your mast? If you did I missed it.
                >
                > - Mark and Mlou
                > " Raven" #77

                Hi Mark,

                Surprise, surprise, surprise!

                I actually did see your message when it came in but the movers arrived
                and tore everything apart and stuffed it in mystery boxes.

                I had internet service yesterday, but I also had a pile of laundry
                waiting for the washer and dryer to get busy. Priorities, you know?

                That big cable is actually the power line for the lights on the mast.
                And yes, there were connectors on each of the wires...

                The boat is out of the water now and on the trailer.

                My next magic trick is to bring it down to Dallas.

                Message 8 of 13 , Dec 16, 2011
                  Richard,
                      Thanks for letting me know what that black wire was. Glad you made it to Dallas alright and are getting settled in. My boat is on my trailer right now also but it's because of the "hard" water we have up here in N Mn. A few more days to the winter solstice and the days will start getting longer. Next thing we know it will be time for us to get them back into the water. Right now our sunrise is 7;54 AM and our sunset is 4:24 PM. Very short days and very long nights!
                      Good luck with your new surroundings and getting the boat there and in the water.

                  - Mark