Drain the water tank

  • David
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
      My Capri-26 is on the hard now for a boat survey. I am a new owner located in Lexington Park, MD. Is there a way to drain the main water tank?

      Thanks

      David
    • Artstree@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
        I don't think there is a separate drain plug for the water tank. When I drain mine for the winter, I just turn the faucets on and let it pump out. Then I put in about 1.5 gallons of RV antifreeze and pump it through the system, Be sure to use the pink RV antifreeze as it is non toxic. DO NOT use any GREEN colored antifreeze in water systems. I use about 5-6 gallons to winterize Sea Belle.
        1.5 Gallons in the water system (excluding the hot water heater)
        2.0 Gallons through the engine heat exchanger
        2.0 Gallons in the head. Be sure to run antifreeze through the head pump.
        The hot water tank has a drain on it that is accessible through the small door on the aft head bulkhead.

        If you have a wash down pump don't forget to winterize that as well.

        In the spring flush all of the systems with fresh water. On the water system I flush all of the pink RV antifreeze out and then refill the tank with about 5 gallons of water mixed with about 1/2 cup of Clorox bleach. I will pump this through the system about 1 gallon at a time over about 2 days. Then I pump it all out and again flush with fresh water several times. You may have a residual chlorine smell but that will dissipate over time and you know the system is clean.

        Art Harden
        CCSA Commodore
        Sea Belle - Capri 26 #151
        937.477.5544 (m)