Cleaning the Fuel Tank

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2011
      After 13 years our fuel developed a brown contaminant, probably growth. We run all year in Texas with both kill and preservative & never dumped the fuel before. I changed the Racor and ran another year so the tank was down to about 3 gallons. I disconnected the supply fuel line at the Westerbeke strainer, and ran it into an empty diesel can. I tried to pushed fuel through the dirty Racor with my shop vac exhaust at the fuel fill. The flow was much too slow, so I replaced the Racor filter separator with a temporary 3/8" hose barb coupler. Then I put a painter's rag in the fill hole on my diesel can allowing the bad fuel to filter into the fuel can. I was able to push about a 1/2 gpm. I added kill to the can and poured it back in the tank through a painter's rag, repeating the process 4 times. The process really seemed to work well. I had a little chemical pump so I setup a little recirc filter loop through a new Racor with new fuel. The recirc filtering didn't seem to do much, other than confirm that the dump / strainer-rag process was effective. I also cleaned the Westerbeke strainer and replaced the final filter.

      I'd like to take a minute and thank our administrator's in Washington. With all the important things their doing for us, they still had time to bring us the non spill fuel can. In my experience it works just as well for diesel as it does for gas. I especially like how they eliminated the can top vent, keeping us from spilling those precious drops of fuel.

      Pete
    • Artstree@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2011
        Pete:

        That sounds like a lot of work trying to save 3 gallons of fuel. If you have waste fuel you can take it to a number of car service centers and they can recycle it for you. Here in the north they will use it as heating oil. I would not recommend using any old fuel unless I had no other choice.

        Art Harden
        CCSA Commodore
        Sea Belle - Capri 26 #151
        937.477.5544 (m)
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2011
          It was a lot of work. I just used the old fuel to repeatedly flush the residue from the bottom of the tank. By the 4th flush the contaminant was barely visible on the painters cloth. I'd love not to do it again for 13 years. Now the tank is fuel with 10 gallons of new diesel, and both filters are new.
          Pete