Re: [capri26] Mainsheet / traveler upgrades

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2011
      I have seen two types of residue. One is sticky substance almost a wax like substance which appeared to be some type of sealant that may have had some mold in it to turn it black. The other is not sticky and appeared to be decayed deck core material which indicated a leak that was causing the balsa core material to decay and rot.  Best way is to take it apart to see what is really happening.

      As Steve mentioned, if in doubt use the recommended way to fix holes that is listed in the West Epoxy guide.  You drill out the hole oversize and then fill the cavity with epoxy. Then re-drill the hole.  This is sure way to keep water from getting to the core material in the deck.

      Have a good 4th,
      Bob
      On Jun 30, 2011, at 9:59 PM, mikirwn@... wrote:

      Thanks Steve

      It doesn't look like there has been any work done anywhere on the boat, but good point, not sure what the previous owners may have done. I did not have any leaks at the riser bolts before I started messing with it, so we will see.

      I have a new question for the group?

      I have some black gunk/ that is leaking off the back of bolts that hold down the forward stbd jib track?

      It is not that bad, but I hope the deck is not rotting. Everything feels really solid!

      Has anyone had this type of problem before?

      Mike

      From: "Stephen M. Hollingsworth" <smh@...>
      Date: Thu, Jun 30, 2011 9:57 am
      To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>

      Mike

      I just removed my track and I had no problem at all.

      I’m wondering why you need to drill new holes for the stoppers. I have the same unit from Garhauer and just slid off the old stoppers, slid on the new ones and tighten down the hex screws.

      Steve

      From: "mikirwn@..." <mikirwn@...>
      Date: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 2:50 pm
      To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>

      I just ordered a new car and traveler control ends from Garhauer.

      I will let everyone know how it turns out.

      From: "Stephen M. Hollingsworth" <smh@...>
      Date: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 12:06 pm
      To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>

      Mike

      I upgraded with a new 4 to 1  Garhauer Control Car and fiddle blocks last year and I wish I would have done it sooner. What a difference.

      This season I upgraded the mainsheet purchase that I also purchased from Garhauer but I have not had allot of chances to use it. From what I can tell at the dock, I’m very happy with it.

      Stephen