Re: [capri26] Re: Windows leak

  • cavelamb
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 179 KB
    What Mark said...

    Plus a bit...

    I redid my ports last summer with 3M (908578 Black) strip caulk.
    Get it at your local NAPA dealer. $30 for a whole box.
    THIS IS REALLY SWEET STUFF.

    My frames came off clean and easy. (because nobody tried to seal them
    with 5200!!!)
    (Roger Long said nobody should be able to buy 5200 without a note from
    his mother!)

    Clean up the surfaces (both) and wrap some of this stuff around the
    frame and each screw hole.
    Then GENTLY reinstall the frame (start ALL screws) and let it set for a
    day (or more is OK).
    After a day (or more!) tighten down the screws that hold the frame in place.
    No more leaks from the frame.

    But you may still have leaks from the glass itself.
    For those coat the gasket with Vasoline.
    (I kid you not!)

    I also used a lot of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure leak sealer
    around (top side of) the chain plates and handrails.
    http://www.captaintolley.com/

    And around the forward hatch (after removing it to replace the lens last
    summer)
    (hint: DON'T remove the frame - just replace the lens - ON SALE NOW at
    Catalina Direct)

    That pretty well took care of the leaks in the forward part of the boat.
    (There is nothing quite as disturbing as a drip on your belly-button on
    a soft summer night!)

    So...

    Then comes the aft part - the so-called "quarter berth"area...

    That part had me stumped for a while.
    HowInTheHeckIsWaterGettingIntoThatBackArea!?!?!?!?

    Ok, desperation... (see photo)
    Well, that answered that. But what to do about it???

    Explanation...
    What you see there is a line of Tempera (water soluble) paint ($2 from
    Hobby Lobby).
    The idea was that wherever the leak was would show by messing up the
    paint line.
    Well, it worked. Maybe TOO well....
    So my next problem is....how to FIX IT?
    Water is getting into the cockpit locker (that's pretty much given).
    Bad seals around the hatch were my first suspicion. (and still is)

    Ok, so, for the answer to that you have to crawl into the locker.

    Literally!

    (I'm 6'2-210 pounds and I've BEEN in there!)

    (and got out again!!! by good luck and the grace of God.)
    (which you can NOT do with the water heater in place).

    What I found...
    There is a HUGE OPEN GAP on the port side back there.
    The liner is a couple of inches short of making it all the way to the hull.

    Really...

    So any water that gets into the cockpit locker will likely find it's way
    below.

    Some fool (on my boat) tried to fill that gap with silicone. (fool!)

    Maybe that worked for a while, 20 years ago - but it doesn't any more!
    (see the attached photo, again)

    We just had a big rain storm and I had three towels worth of water back
    there.
    And the paint line told all!

    I haven't solved this problem yet.
    Still working on it.

    BUT IT HAS MY FULL AND UNDIVIDED ATTENTION !!!!

    And I am open it any reasonable (or maybe not so reasonable?) suggestions...

    --

    Richard Lamb
    http//www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
    Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2011
      Richard,

      Thanks for all the great info. That is very helpful. I have already bought some of the 3M strip caulk. I assume all the black caulk is hidden behind the frame. I have not had my windows apart to know how all the pieces work. Is there an outside frame and an inside frame and the two are screwed together sandwiching the boat?

      Thanks Again
      Kris

      Message 3 of 8 , May 10, 2011
        My wet bunk was coming from the cockpit mounted bilge pump bellows-still can't find a replacement bellows-taped over the whole thing with white duct tape. been dry since then.

        Ken Williams
        Mickey Finn #200
      • Artstree@aol.com
        Message 4 of 8 , May 10, 2011
          I had the same problem. The cover on the bilge pump was broken so I ordered a new cover and seal from Whale. If you have the old Patay pumps parts are hard or impossible to find. Online Pump Shop (Great Britain) has some parts but their compatibility with the original parts may be questionable.

          If it is a Whale try:

          Art Harden
          CCSA Commodore
          Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
          937.885.9380 (o)
          937.477.5544 (m)

          Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2011
            +1 on the bilge pump leak.
            Mine was on the output side - the hose was too big and the clamp couldn't seal it completely.
            I didn't have any duct tape handy :) so I wrapped a couple of layers of rigging tape around the nipple
            and reinstalled the hose.  It's dry now.

            break

            Kris, yes, there is an inside and outside frame. The screws pull them together.
            It took me about 1/2 hour to do both of them.
            -