Re: [capri26] New Mast - C26 [1 Attachment]

  • Gary Pack
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2011
      Re: [capri26] New Mast - C26 [1 Attachment] I think the OEM mfr of our masts was Sparcraft-US, f/k/a Charleston Spar.

      Gary Pack
      Breezin’ Bye

      On 4/30/11 7:56 PM, "cavelamb" <cavelamb@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from cavelamb included below]

      See attached:

    • Mike Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2011
        Thanks Gary.  I will take a look at them.

        Mike Smith
        317.430.7785

        Sent from my iPhone.

        On May 1, 2011, at 7:31 AM, Gary Pack <sailman@...> wrote:

        I think the OEM mfr of our masts was Sparcraft-US, f/k/a Charleston Spar.

        Gary Pack
        Breezin’ Bye

        On 4/30/11 7:56 PM, "cavelamb" <cavelamb@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from cavelamb included below]

        See attached:

      • geobarlow
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2011
          Step One - Carefully "blueprint" the location of every spreader, cleat, cheek block (all the hardware that attaches to the mast).

          Step Two - Take down the exact dimensions, and saw a couple of sections out of the mast. When you locate a "donor" mast section, you will want to make sure that it is a fit.

          Step Three - Look around your club, marina and the internet for a replacement section that will fit. Many old spars are discarded that are perfectly good.

          Step Four - When you find one, carefully duplicate your "blueprinted" mast so that all fittings line up the same.

          Good Luck

          George Barlow
          Fort Worth, Texas
        • cavelamb
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2011
            A little bit of confusion here.

            The published data on the 26 rig dimensions doesn't quite fit what I've
            measured myself...
            And the stock size sail doesn't quite fit the way I expected it to fit.

            So...

            I hope this link will take you to a folder in the photo section:

            Otherwise look for the photo folder named !mast and boom.

            I've posted a page from one of the commercial sail databases (they all
            show the same numbers).

            AND

            Some photos of my measurement of my mast.

            The P dimension (Luff of Mainsail) is said to be 27.7 feet = 332.4 inches.

            But my measurements show 341 inches from headboard hole (the shackle) to
            the foot slot in the boom.

            I need some help resolving the 8-1/2" difference...

            And the photo looks like a lot more than 8-1/2" short?

            So the question of sail dimensions, and mast and boom dimensions is open
            for discussion.

            Or - your guess is as good as mine!

            Anybody???

            --

            Richard Lamb
            http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2011
              I believe that the confusion is between the design dimensions for class legal sail and the physical dimensions for a given rig. The published dimensions ( J, I, E, P etc.) are the design dimensions. In one design class racing there are black bands put on the boom and mast to indicate the design dimensions and you are not allowed to hoist your sails past those bands. Rigs can be inspected to ensure that the black bands are in the proper location and the race committee can see if your sails are within the design range. Sails are also inspected in competition to ensure they are within design dimensions. Variations in head board design and how much 'stretch' a given sail material/cloth layout can provide can all affect actual sail physical dimensions. The black bands and design dimensions are used to keep things constant and to allow comparisons of one boats rig to different boats rig.

              Bob

              Sent by an outspoken old person from his conservative launch pad.........

              Message 6 of 13 , May 31, 2011
                I felt pretty good this weekend, but too many loonies out "boating" to sail.
                The local Coast Guard thought so too and hung just outside the point passing out "invitations" by the scores.

                So I remeasured the rig this weekend instead to satisfy myself and Mariner regarding sail fit.

                The main they made for me (to published dimensions) a while back was about 10 inches short hoist,
                and too long in the foot (came right up to the outhaul pulley).

                P is published as 27.7 feet.
                Mine measures 28 feet 4 inches.

                There are several E dimensions published - 8.6  to 11 feet(!)
                The slot of my boom measures 11 feet near exactly.
                So the 10' 9" foot on the sail didn't allow for any outhaul at all.

                Anyway, tired of looking like the red-headed, buck-toothed, freckle faced kid at the family reunion,
                I called Aris and asked him to give me best price on a new main that would fit.
                He said he couldn't do that (!) - bring it back and he'd make a new one to fit the actual dimensions.
                Now that is standing behind your product.

                So we took a field trip to the sail loft today and got measured carefully for a new suit.
                Genoa too.  Mine shapes up like a day old Pampers - so I bought a new one.
                Ocean Plus 5 ounce fabric.  Nice stuff!

                Should be ready in about 3 weeks as he needs to fit me in between existing production.
                In the mean time, I'll go bend on the old baggy genoa and fuzzy full batten main.
                Kinda nostalgic...

                Mariner Sails     http://www.mariner-sails.com/
                Good people - good sails.

                Break

                Bob, while what you wrote below is perfectly true, it might cause problems when trying to
                replace stuff - sails, shrouds, halyards, etc.

                Those kind of things are based on actual physical dimensions and need to be right.

                For instance, I bought a new jib halyard last summer from CDI.
                When I hoisted the sail, the halyard only has about 4 inches to cleat off with!
                (it's made right - to the published spec.)

                I'm just saying to measure twice and GIVE THE MEASUREMENTS when you order something
                that goes up the mast.

                Because it's bigger than they think!

                Richard

                Message 7 of 13 , May 31, 2011
                  Richard:
                  When North made my Main, Jib and Genoa's I had to send them actual measurements even including the sizes and locations of the tack bail, shackle for the halyards and the location of the outhaul on the boom.
                  If they haven't started your sail yet, you might consider getting a loose footed main. It is a big improvement over the stock one that had the shelf and rope bolt across the foot of the sail.  Much better shape control with the loose foot and I think it is a faster design.  I know the North main made a big difference in how we well we placed in races.   My top batten is a full batten, but the other 3 are partials.
                  Good luck with your new sail.

                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2011
                    Bob Unkel wrote:

                    Richard:

                    When North made my Main, Jib and Genoa's I had to send them actual measurements even including the sizes and locations of the tack bail, shackle for the halyards and the location of the outhaul on the boom.
                    If they haven't started your sail yet, you might consider getting a loose footed main. It is a big improvement over the stock one that had the shelf and rope bolt across the foot of the sail.  Much better shape control with the loose foot and I think it is a faster design.  I know the North main made a big difference in how we well we placed in races.   My top batten is a full batten, but the other 3 are partials.
                    Good luck with your new sail.

                    Bob

                    I thought about doing just that, Bob.
                    But my outhaul is so wimpy I doubt I'd be able to control it.
                    Until the outhaul is upgraded some day...

                    Speaking of which...
                      didn't somebody work that out recently???
                         Any details on that yet?

                    I took the actual sails (all of them) with me today so they could get all the details.
                    And had detailed (and dimensioned with tape measure) photos of the hardware.

                    I don't race any more.
                    (unless there is another boat on the water)

                    --

                    Richard Lamb
                    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
                    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress