Sail Cleaning

  • kriskoehler67
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
      I just received the sails to the boat I bought. They are in need of cleaning. Have any of you had any success cleaning them yourself? If so how? If not where did you send them and any idea of the cost I may be looking at? The jib is only a year old but it was not stored properly and it has some black streaks that seams to start to come off with water but maybe not all the way.

      Thanks
      Kris Koehler
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
        Kris,
        I have had limited success washing my sails with dishwashing liquid soap like Dawn and spot cleaning stubborn stains with Simple Green or a soap and water along with Oxy Clean bleach.  I will admit to also having used some watered down chlorine bleach. I keep a squirt bottle filled with about 30% bleach to clean up the spider spots on the deck and to help get the rub rail clean from the black mold like stains.

        Our local dealer has sent sails to Sail Care, I think they are located in Pennsylvania.  They really do a good job and also 'refinish' them to make them as stiff as a new sail along with fix any problems.  The only drawback is I think that they are fairly expensive.  A set of J24 sails was more than just a few hundred dollars.

        Hope this helps, perhaps others have some personal  experience.

        Bob Unkel

        On Apr 4, 2011, at 9:14 PM, kriskoehler67 wrote:

        I just received the sails to the boat I bought. They are in need of cleaning. Have any of you had any success cleaning them yourself? If so how? If not where did you send them and any idea of the cost I may be looking at? The jib is only a year old but it was not stored properly and it has some black streaks that seams to start to come off with water but maybe not all the way.

        Thanks
        Kris Koehler

      • Mary Kinnunen and Jeff Eaton

        • Gary Pack