Inboard engine startup

  • kriskoehler67
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
      I am looking to possibly purchase a Capri 26 with and inboard. I am wondering how you handle making sure the engine will start when you put it in the water. I don't want to be stranded at the ramp this spring. One of the boats I am looking at was not put in the water last year but was used the year before. Is there a way to test the engine before you get to the ramp? My 86 Hunter 23 had an outboard so it was easy to test.
      Thanks for your input.
      Kris
    • JAN.RICH
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
        I suggest you have the boat surveyed. They can test it as well as inform you of other potential problems..

        Jan & Rich B

        I am looking to possibly purchase a Capri 26 with and inboard. I am wondering how you handle making sure the engine will start when you put it in the water. I don't want to be stranded at the ramp this spring. One of the boats I am looking at was not put in the water last year but was used the year before. Is there a way to test the engine before you get to the ramp? My 86 Hunter 23 had an outboard so it was easy to test.
        Thanks for your input.
        Kris

      • Stephen M. Hollingsworth
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011

          Kris

          The Universal’s are rock solid diesels. I have never had an issue firing her up after coming off the hard. Just make sure that you have a good & charged starting battery. If you need to test the engine, I would recommend filling up a jug of water and sticking your fresh water intake into the jug and turn over the engine (same procedure as winterizing). Once started, you will have enough time to shut her down.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
            I can not open your images.

            Jan & Rich B

[...]

          • Gary Hayes
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
              I use the intake hose into a bucket and keep it full with a garden hose from the house.

              Gary Hayes

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011

                Kris,

                I just purchased my boat so I may be able to help.

                It was pretty easy, I had a mechanic go over the engine with me, he explained everything to me and we went over the starting and operating procedues.

                We then disconnected the sea water hose from the sea cock and hooked it up to a 5 gallon container with water and marine antifreeze mixture in the cockpit. The boat was then ready to be started. After we were done running it, just reconnected the hose to the sea cock and we were done.

                I was happy with the way the engine ran, and bought the boat.

                Mike

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              • Artstree@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
                  Kris

                  Check to see how many hours are on the engine. Don't be worried if the hours are in the 1,000 range because that is still not very many hours on a diesel. To give you an example my truck has 3,084 hours on the engine and 110,000 miles. So 1,000 hours is about equal to a truck at 30,000 miles. The big thing on diesels is routine maintenance (oil changes and fuel filter changes). Since you are using less than two quarts of oil don't go cheap. See if the log book has a maintenance record. That can tell you a lot.

                  Make sure the engine was winterized last year. I did not properly winterize Sea Belle my first year and the heat exchanger froze and separated. Fortunately I was able to get it repaired at a "radiator shop" . A business which is almost extinct. The engine cooling system is separate and that was filled with anti freeze (coolant) so no damage to the engine.

                  If you have been using an outboard, you will love having the inboard on the Capri.

                  Someone suggested having the boat surveyed. which is a great idea and the best route. However if you do not want to go to that expense, at least have a knowledgeable sailing buddy make an independent evaluation of the boat. The problem of surveying the boat yourself is that you are in lust for a new boat and that will blind you to some of the problems or issues. Even if you think you are being impartial remember the happiest day for a boat owner is " the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat." so do get a second opinion.

                  Art Harden
                  CCSA Commodore
                  Sea Belle - Capri 26 #151
                  937.477.5544 (m)
                • Ted Wright
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
                    My brother had a set up on his Catalina 30 that I installed on my Capri 26.  After the sea cock, I installed a tee on its side.  The side leg of the tee connects to the intake hose to the engine; to the top leg of the tee I installed a hose bib.  The hose bib stays closed 99% of the time, but when I need to run the engine out of water I just attach a short piece of garden hose to the hose bib and run it to a bucket in the cock pit (trash can works best, as it does suck up water quickly) to supply water to the cooling system (of course, the sea cock is closed and the hose bib open during this operation).  I usually run the engine a few minutes to heat the oil up before changing in the fall (never seem to get around to changing the oil while the boat is still in the water), and so use it at least annually.  While most of my sailing is fresh water, my brother used to rinse out the sea water from his cooling system after every use.  He understood from the PO that this flushing out of the salt water saved corrosion on the engine, and does seem to make sense to me.
                    - Ted
                    Sarang, Hull #85