Bottom painting

  • Mike Sokol
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
      I'm getting ready to do the bottom of my boat and needed to know about how much antifouling to buy for the job. Thanks
    • Bruce Spletstoser
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
        Don't ask me, I ran out last time only have way thru!!  This was the fourth time painting a Capri bottom and I still cannot remember??  I think I used a total of 5 quarts of VC-17 paint to do 2 coats??  Is that about the same for regular bottom paint?

        Splets
        Satin Sheets #148
        I'm getting ready to do the bottom of my boat and needed to know about how much antifouling to buy for the job. Thanks

      • Stephen M. Hollingsworth
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011

          Mike

          I reapply two coats every year and I only use 1 gallon.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
            Depends on how many coats and which kind of paint. I use VC-17 and it normally takes me 2 quarts which is enough to do the entire bottom with one coat and the waterline and front of keel and rudder with two coats.  I use small foam roller that you can get at Home Depot.  If you are going to put on ablataive paint, I used to put one color on as base and use the desired final color as top coats so when I saw the base color I knew it was time to recoat.  That process took more paint. I started with ablative paint, but switched to  VC-17 because it doesn't build up, is hard and fast. BUT it doesn't have the same amount of copper oxide in it as other paints, so it isn't as good against crud.

            Good Luck,
            Bob Unkel

            On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Mike Sokol wrote:

            I'm getting ready to do the bottom of my boat and needed to know about how much antifouling to buy for the job. Thanks

          • Mark Shockey
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
              Mike,

              I buy 3-quarts of VC-17M,  which is enough for two coats. If you are using VC-17M, you can use regular rubbing alcohol for clean-up, it is inexpensive and easy to handle.

              Mark

              From: Mike Sokol <sokolm@...>
              Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:20:33 -0000
              To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
                Thanks to everyone for their input...

                --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, Mark Shockey <capri26owner@...> wrote:

                > Mike,
                >
                > I buy 3-quarts of VC-17M, which is enough for two coats. If you are using
                > VC-17M, you can use regular rubbing alcohol for clean-up, it is inexpensive
                > and easy to handle.
                >
                > Mark
                >
                > From: Mike Sokol <sokolm@...>
                > Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:20:33 -0000
                > To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: [capri26] Bottom painting
                >

                > I'm getting ready to do the bottom of my boat and needed to know about how
                > much antifouling to buy for the job. Thanks

              • Mike Irwin
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011

                  I need to paint my bottom also, and need suggestions on paint.  I have used VC and Vivid in the past on my J-24.

                  I had some fiberglass repairs done to the edge of wing keel when I purchased the boat and they painted the entire keel with interlux racing bronze.

                  Does anyone know anything about this paint, I am thinking about painting the rest of the bottom with this stuff.

                  But I need to figure out how to paint under the 33 rollers on my trailer first!

                  Mike

                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android