Re: [capri26] Cradle used as trialer

  • Artstree@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2011
      There would need to be a lot of conditions for me to consider using a trailered cradle (TC).
      • The ramp you use must be steep and long. On a trailer set up for launching it takes 4-5 feet of water to float off. On a TC it would take probably about 6 or more feet to float off.
      • A cradle is designed to set the boat on it with a crane. which would be a straight down motion. using one on a ramp  means the boat rock into position when the trailer is pulled out.
      • Trailer height could be an issue if you are planning on going down the road. Sea Belle is 12 feet in height and you could be adding 2-3 feet id you have a fin and TC system.
      • How is the cradle fixed on the trailer I would be concerned on this attachment
      If you are only launching and retrieving once a year it might work but I would not recommend it anytime. You have to much invested in you boat to gamble on a cheap fix

      Art Harden
      CCSA Commodore
      Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
      937.885.9380 (o)
      937.477.5544 (m)

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
        Art,

        Thanks for the feed back.
        Those are all good points.
        I will only be launching once in the spring and then pulling it out in the fall.
        I will weight my options.
        Thanks again
        Kris

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
          Re: [capri26] Cradle used as trailer My two cents worth.  The first time I pulled my 26 out on a trailer, the trailer wasn’t very well customized for the boat and I almost had a near disaster.  It’s a heavy boat.  It slides on the trailer as you pull it from the water, so it needs to fit the trailer well and be secured very well.  You also need it balanced relative to the axles.  I had to dump the boat back in the water and obtain a different trailer.   The second time I used a “come-along” across the back of the keel to keep the boat from sliding backwards.  I also tied lines from each outboard winch to the front of the trailer and tightened the lines as the boat came out of the water.  So the operation went well.

          I would have concern with the cradle slipping when you pull the boat out of the water.  If you have a lift that will lower the boat onto the cradle/trailer, and you just leave it in the yard, that may be okay.  But I can’t recommend risking your investment in your boat by taking shortcuts on a trailer.

          Gary Pack
          Breezin’ Bye  #270

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
            I had considered making a cradle that could be removed from the trailer,
            but decided against it.
            Securing the cradle against road stress didn't look all that great.
            Bolts concentrate the stresses in a very small area.
            It looked like side loads could bend the metal where they attach.
            As Gary said, it's a heavy load, and precious.

            --

            Richard Lamb
            email me: cavelamb@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
              Anyone considering building (or buying!) a trailer for their boat might
              want to
              watch this video. Two parts...

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYkU3GsdOGc
              Will take you to the first piece.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lh7ZWCmjVM
              is the second half.

              Kinda hard to hear in places, but he does pass on some interesting
              information...

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2011
                This video talks of hydraulic brakes which works well with lighter boats. Before you build a trailer check the state laws regarding boat trailer design. Many states require electric brakes for anything over 5,000 pounds gross weight.

                Art Harden
                CCSA Commodore
                Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
                937.885.9380 (o)
                937.477.5544 (m)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 12, 2011
                  We had someone use a similar approach for a Montego 26 at our lake. BUT they made a lot of modifications and essentially made the cradle into a boat trailer by adding a lot of supports and having a custom trailer built around the cradle.

                  Factories ship the boats on a cradle from the factory, but I personally think they don't provide enough support for the long haul. Too few pads that are too small. My cradle had 4 pads, my trailer has 7. When on the cradle the factory and the dealer or boat yard also use a lift to load the boat on the cradle. The cradle is not made for the boat to float on and float off.

                  Also, most of the boat weight is supported by the keel, so you need a strong section under the bottom of the keel.  Most boat trailers have the support for the keel just above the axel of the trailer to minimize the height of the boat off the ground and to reduce the depth of water needed to launch them. Some trailers even have dropped axles to lower the trailing height and reduce the launch depth needed.

                  I would not want to try loading a boat on a cradle in the water and get it aligned up properly so that it is correctly supported when it is pulled from the water.  The rear supports will probably be to high to allow you to float on to the front pads and get properly aligned with the keel support. There is nothing on a cradle to align the boat properly OR to hold it there when you pull up the ramp.  I had this problem with a very small boat, my Millimeter came on a cradle on a flat bed trailer. It took only one attempt at launching to get rid of that approach and that was a 12' boat with a fin keel and only 220 lbs. of ballast!  The little boat is now on a real boat trailer with keel guides and a tongue extension.

                  While the flat bed trailer is less expensive, my vote is get a real boat trailer.  Why risk damaging a major investment in a good boat by a risky means of launching and retrieving it.  Most ramps I have seen end at some point and drop off significantly at the end. Letting the boat go down the ramp with a chain or strap is an accident waiting to happen.  Getting the boat back on properly or pulling it up with a chain after the axels dropped of the end of the ramp is not a pretty sight. If you do go the route of a flat bed trailer, get the boat lifted on and off as it is the only real way to make certain it is properly loaded and you can tie it down before moving it.

                  Sorry for being so blunt, but I would hate to see our limited population of Capri 26's reduced because of a mishap during launch or retrieval.  Get on Craigs List, there are lots of used boat trailers around. I found one there for my Boston Whaler for less than $200. I saw quite a few trailers with tandem axels for less than $2000.

                  Bob Unkel

                  P.S. Our Capri is a fin keel and total height off the ground during trailering is 11'2"  You may have some clearance problems on old smaller roads  and some gas station roofs if you get over 12'.  If you have a wing keel it will reduce the height around 10".  My boat has only been launched off the trailer once at a boat yard in Northport, Michigan. All other times it has been lifted on and off which is much easier and I can get it properly centered front to back on the trailer so it doesn't wander behind the old Suburban.