Outhaul Mod.

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2010
      Hello Everyone

      I'm going to be upgrading my Outhaul over the winter and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions, preformed any maintenance or upgraded their outhaul. I have drawings on the reefing system but none on the factory configuration of the outhaul system. I'm just not sure what's occuring inside the boom. I plan on replacing the line, sheaves, etc and most importantly, running the bitter end of the outhaul line down to the top of the cabin top instead of the factory installation with a cleat on the mid section of the boom.

      Cheers,
      Stephen
    • cavelamb
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2010
        I almost forgot this one...
        A sketch I made a while back when we were discussing this very subject.

        My outhaul cable has taken a solid set and is very hard to move.
        I wonder if that grey non-stretch kevlar stuff at West Marine would work?
        The smallest line (~3/16?) was rated at 1800 pounds breaking load.
        The downside is that it is real slippery single braid and pretty hard to
        splice.

        I haven't dug into my boom yet to upgrade it, but may this winter...

        --

        Richard Lamb
        email me: cavelamb@...