single line reefing

  • Gregory Frank
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 24, 2010

      I have a single line reefing  system, but it has a lot of resistance when putting in a reef.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and resolved it.   Yes the main halyard is eased, the reef line can run free and no leads or sheaves are binding or otherwise adding more then expected to the friction.  Where most of the resistance seems to be coming from is where the reefing line passes through the cringle located on the sail’s luff.  As the sail is pulled down the cringle twists to one side so the reef line is contacting both the sail fabric and the cringle adding a lot of friction & chaff.

      My related question regards the sail track entrance slot (just above the boom where the sail slugs can be taken out).  On my mast there’s a knurled knob screwed into the mast just above the sail track entrance slot.  Do others have this knob, or maybe you have plates over the mast slot that keeps the slugs in-place, but lets the reefing line pull the sail further down?  It seems like the way the cringle stops and twists to the side as the knob stops the slugs may be causing excessive friction with the reefing line.  Thoughts, comments, suggestions?  Greg ( Water Music, Hull# 261)

    • lencole01@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 25, 2010
        Gregg,
        I do have the knurled knob. I also have twisting and plenty of friction in my single line reefing operation.the knurled knob is a 1/4-20 SS bolt with a weld on the threads that act as a stop. My sail also folds over as well. Feel free to inspect the arrangement on"Wild Hare"anytime. The ladder lock combo is 4532. I will be interested in the solutions offend on this board.
        Len

        Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

[...]

      • mark shockey
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 25, 2010
          Greg,
          I have the same issue with the jiffy reef system. I often have to go forward to work the line thru the cringle in the sail luff. A possible solution would be to add a sheeve at cringle. I think this should reduce most of the problem. If needed a second sheeve could be added at the leech cringle. I've seen this done on other boats.
          I do have the small plates which allow the sail slides to drop down to the top of the boom. The plates are home made from aluminium angle and installed with two small bolts (top and bottom) that are tapped into the mast. This helps the front of the sail lay closer to the boom. I can get a photo of the plates when I'm at the boat this weekend if you are interested.

          Mark
          "Oasis"

          Gregory Frank <gregfrank@...> wrote:

          >I have a single line reefing system, but it has a lot of resistance when
          >putting in a reef. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and
          >resolved it. Yes the main halyard is eased, the reef line can run free and
          >no leads or sheaves are binding or otherwise adding more then expected to
          >the friction. Where most of the resistance seems to be coming from is where
          >the reefing line passes through the cringle located on the sail's luff. As
          >the sail is pulled down the cringle twists to one side so the reef line is
          >contacting both the sail fabric and the cringle adding a lot of friction &
          >chaff.
          >

          >My related question regards the sail track entrance slot (just above the
          >boom where the sail slugs can be taken out). On my mast there's a knurled
          >knob screwed into the mast just above the sail track entrance slot. Do
          >others have this knob, or maybe you have plates over the mast slot that
          >keeps the slugs in-place, but lets the reefing line pull the sail further
          >down? It seems like the way the cringle stops and twists to the side as the
          >knob stops the slugs may be causing excessive friction with the reefing
          >line. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Greg ( Water Music, Hull# 261)

        • Bruce Spletstoser
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 25, 2010

            I have a block attached to the reefing tack so that the line does not get hung up going thru the sail.  I am heading the the lake this coming weekend and will take some pictures.

            Good luck!!!

            Splets
            Satin Sheets #148

          • gregfrank@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 26, 2010
              I'll look forward to the pics

              From: "Bruce Spletstoser" <splets@...>
              Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:36:36 -0700
              To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: capri26@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 26, 2010
                I've only seen pictures of boom mounted blocks by leech reef point.

                I saw Catalina direct sells plates for the mast sail track slot for the 22 & 25 don't think it would work on the 26 without mods. Your custom plates may be the way to go.

                Does having the sail sit closer to the boom help in some way?

                From: mark shockey <capri26owner@...>
                Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:57:49 -0400
                To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 26, 2010
                  Thanks. Ill take a look. I think mounting a small block on the mast would help. I may give it a try. Let you know.

                • capri26owner@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 26, 2010
                    Greg,

                    Using the plates the mainsail slugs can drop 4-5 inches closer to the boom. I think the biggest advantage would come if your mainsail uses all full length battens.The sail will stack closer to the boom and sets lower when you reef. The only other advantage I can think of is you don't need to worry about the slug nut loosening and letting the mainsail slugs come out of the track.

                    Mark

                    From: mark shockey <capri26owner@...>
                    Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:57:49 -0400

                    Greg,
                    I have the same issue with the jiffy reef system. I often have to go forward to work the line thru the cringle in the sail luff. A possible solution would be to add a sheeve at cringle. I think this should reduce most of the problem. If needed a second sheeve could be added at the leech cringle. I've seen this done on other boats.
                    I do have the small plates which allow the sail slides to drop down to the top of the boom. The plates are home made from aluminium angle and installed with two small bolts (top and bottom) that are tapped into the mast. This helps the front of the sail lay closer to the boom. I can get a photo of the plates when I'm at the boat this weekend if you are interested.

                    Mark
                    "Oasis"

                    Gregory Frank <gregfrank@...> wrote:

                    >I have a single line reefing system, but it has a lot of resistance when
                    >putting in a reef. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and
                    >resolved it. Yes the main halyard is eased, the reef line can run free and
                    >no leads or sheaves are binding or otherwise adding more then expected to
                    >the friction. Where most of the resistance seems to be coming from is where
                    >the reefing line passes through the cringle located on the sail's luff. As
                    >the sail is pulled down the cringle twists to one side so the reef line is
                    >contacting both the sail fabric and the cringle adding a lot of friction &
                    >chaff.
                    >

                    >My related question regards the sail track entrance slot (just above the
                    >boom where the sail slugs can be taken out). On my mast there's a knurled
                    >knob screwed into the mast just above the sail track entrance slot. Do
                    >others have this knob, or maybe you have plates over the mast slot that
                    >keeps the slugs in-place, but lets the reefing line pull the sail further
                    >down? It seems like the way the cringle stops and twists to the side as the
                    >knob stops the slugs may be causing excessive friction with the reefing
                    >line. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Greg ( Water Music, Hull# 261)

                  • avbrendan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
                      Hi all,

                      I'm not sure if this is right and proper, but I have the same setup, and when reefing I remove the slug stop to let the bottom slug get out of the mast track. This allows the main to drop lower and reduces friction and binding considerably.

                      Brendan

                    • millerd205@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
                        Brendan,
                        I do the same thing when I reef. Just remember to replace the slug stop before dropping the main sail when you stop sailing or all the slugs will fall out. I have forgotten several times in the past and will probably add the metal strips to close the sail track opening.

                        Donald Miller
                        Greenville, SC