Re: [capri26] Trailer

  • Artstree@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 5, 2010
      Pete:

      How old was the trailer and how many miles did you have on your tires? Were they made in China?

      I bought mine new in 05 and had only logged a little over 4,000 miles last year when we took a 200 mile trip to Lake Erie. At about 80 miles in to the trip the first tire blew or should I say exploded. Another 30 miles and tire #2 went flat. Then another 50 miles and the third one went flat. I did not wait for #4. I just replaced it. They were all Carlisle ST225/75R15-LRD-2540lb @ 65PSI made in China.

      I talked to Carlisle and they said I only had a 2 year warrantee no ,atter what mileage (probably UV damage ....... right - the boat is in the barn 5 months of the year). The trailer manufacture was about 10 miles from Sandusky so we made a side trip over there before we reloaded and returned home. Loadmaster said they quit using Carlisle because of that reason and my third tire center had told me the same thing. Carlisle had been making the tires in Toledo and there was never a problem, but after they move them to China they started having trouble so Loadmaster switched to Good Year,

      When I talked to Carlsile and they reviewed the 3 of the tires, they claimed that I ran over something. My take on the tires were that the belts were separating, but then what do I know I have only been hauling of some type of trailer off and on for over 40 years. I had never had an experience like this before and being an engineer with an analytical mind they didn't think I knew what I was talking about. All the tires were balanced and filled with the proper air before hitting the road. Before each one went flat I was getting a vibration like the tire was out of balance, ie the belts had separated.

      If you upgrade to an E load range you only get and additional 290lb per tire -2830lb @ 80PSI. I am now doing some work for a major tire distributor in the area so I am going to have him look into it and will keep you posted. He could not believe I had three tires go out at one time and had never heard of it happening. We discussed briefly about using bias tires. Whatever the next tires are that I buy, they will not come from China.
      Art Harden
      CCSA Commodore
      Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
      937.885.9380 (o)
      937.477.5544 (m)

      My trailer situation is very much like Mark's. I also have a single hand
      retrieval and mast raise system; there are some pictures under Total Chaos.
      Total Chaos has a fin keel so the trailer sets up with a mast height of 13'-3".
      I added a load balancing hitch with sway prevention. It tows really well even
      with cross winds. We pulled to the Florida Keys this year. The only reason I
      could see to look for a cheap trailer is if your looking to pull the boat for
      maintenance only.

      I had a number of blow outs pulling to the Keys. I'm running dual 5200 lbs axles
      and went up to load range E tires from D's as I had a blow out once before. We
      were trying to make a friends house in Florida before dark and I took the rig up
      to 70 mph, as it was towing great. After about 2 hours at 70 the blow outs
      started. All I could get for the pull home was load range D's. We came home at
      60 with new load range D's. I was really focused on pressure and temperature.
      Even though the D's spec out for my 5200 lb axles they were running hot / like
      they were under inflated IE hotter on the outside than the middle. Bearing
      temperatures were fine. By the time we got home one of my new load range D's, a
      Goodyear Marathon looked like it was getting ready to seperate. Before I
      distance trailer again, I'm going upto 16" Load range E's so I have nearly
      14,000 lbs of tires under my 10,400 lb trailer. I believe the Capri is
      substantially heavier than 5200 lbs. I do have a very stout heavy trailer with a
      lot of extra stuff to consider too.
      Pete

    • Artstree@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 5, 2010
        I just noticed something on the Carlisle Load chart. The load rating is based on 10 MPH which means their chart is worthless as it relates to highway speeds.

        Art Harden
        CCSA Commodore
        Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
        937.885.9380 (o)
        937.477.5544 (m)

      • gregfrank@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 5, 2010
          Len has diesel. Mine has OB.

          From: "Peter" <galiziap@...>
          Sender: capri26@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 02:30:58 +0000
          To: <capri26@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: capri26@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [capri26] Re: Trailer

          Does it have a diesel?

          Some of my tire issues could have to do with high load impact, but the tires look and act overloaded. I haven't had the rig on a scale.

          --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, cavelamb <cavelamb@...> wrote:

          > gregfrank@... wrote:
          > >

          > > empty.

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 5, 2010
            The trailer was built about 8 years ago, but I rarely use it. It came with Millestones?? out of China. Then I switched to Carlise's out of China. I ran the Load range E's in the Carlise @ 80 PSI, the trailer ran great until I cooked the tires at 70 mph. I believe I'm running real heavy due to my trailer weight and everthing I take on it. The tires have always had low miles, very good tread. They start showing a line at the base of the tread and the tread peals off. Now I run with and IR thermometer and check temperature across the tread, and my bearings. I'll definately go to 16" E's to really up the ratings. My truck tires are way overated, and they run much cooler than the trailer tires.
            Pete

          • Artstree@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 6, 2010
              I think I may consider 16's as well. Sea Belle is a WK inboard and I also have a tremendous amount of stuff on the boat. I will try to get a weight some time and pass it along as well

              Art Harden
              CCSA Commodore
              Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
              937.885.9380 (o)
              937.477.5544 (m)

> [...]

              > were trying to make a friends house in Florida before dark and I took the rig up
              > to 70 mph, as it was towing great. After about 2 hours at 70 the blow outs
              > started. All I could get for the pull home was load range D's. We came home at
              > 60 with new load range D's. I was really focused on pressure and temperature.
              > Even though the D's spec out for my 5200 lb axles they were running hot / like
              > they were under inflated IE hotter on the outside than the middle. Bearing
              > temperatures were fine. By the time we got home one of my new load range D's, a
              > Goodyear Marathon looked like it was getting ready to seperate. Before I
              > distance trailer again, I'm going upto 16" Load range E's so I have nearly
              > 14,000 lbs of tires under my 10,400 lb trailer. I believe the Capri is
              > substantially heavier than 5200 lbs. I do have a very stout heavy trailer with a

            • Peter Galizia
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 6, 2010
                I'm looking at 235-80R E 16's which takes you all the way to 3420 a tire. They're really not intended for 5200 LB axles, but I have enough miles in to have confidence in my axles and bearings. To fit them on a 6 stud 5200 lb axle you need to mount them on a 3040 lb under rated wheels. I already checked with my local tire shop and they would have no problem doing that. Northern Tool also sells a tire already mounted on the underated 6 stud rim (I was surprised to see that). Another interesting aspect is if you want to go with Goodyear Marathon's, they don't come in E's, in the 225R15's that we're currently running. I bought the Goodyear Marathon D's to try and get home safely from the Keys. They made it, but I did't like the looks of 1 tire, plus they were all likely overload. It was April and we had rain on the second day. I doubt we would have made it even running no more than 60 in Summer.
                Pete

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 6, 2010
                  I am on my second set of Goodyear Marathon 225R15's on my Sailor's Trailer hauling  hull 107 with a Fin Keel and Inboard. Replaced first set after one blew out sitting in lot unloaded. Close inspection showed age cracks in the tread.  The first set were at least 10 years old when they  failed. If sitting outside in the sun, the UV sure doesn't help the rubber in the tires.  Marathons are supposed to resist the UV damage more than a car tire. Trailer now sits inside around 7 months out of a year.

                  The boat has been towed from Cincinnati to Northport, Michigan (about  550 miles one way) and back.  Latest set just gets used in spring and fall to tow it home and back to the lake or indoor storage. (55 miles each way).  I know my trailer weighs 1875# and have estimated total with boat at around 7500#.  Pressure is critical, I run mine at max rated pressure when loaded and cold. If pressure is low you can cook a tire in a heartbeat. (65lbs) I also check tire temp frequently. I think the tires were rated for around 2500# each. There are several different load limits for the same size tire. My old  3/4 ton Suburban can get the boat rolling, but I normally only run about 60 with it.  The 79 old mean green towing machine really likes the gas!

                   Local boat dealer has had trouble keeping tires on trailer they use to haul boats on cradle because it doesn't have any springs.  Tires have to provide all the spring.  My trailer has good springs on it.

                  Based on everyones problems, I must be lucky!  I also realize I am about due to buy another set of tires because of age.

                  Bob

> [...]

                  > were trying to make a friends house in Florida before dark and I took the rig up
                  > to 70 mph, as it was towing great. After about 2 hours at 70 the blow outs
                  > started. All I could get for the pull home was load range D's. We came home at
                  > 60 with new load range D's. I was really focused on pressure and temperature.
                  > Even though the D's spec out for my 5200 lb axles they were running hot / like
                  > they were under inflated IE hotter on the outside than the middle. Bearing
                  > temperatures were fine. By the time we got home one of my new load range D's, a
                  > Goodyear Marathon looked like it was getting ready to seperate. Before I
                  > distance trailer again, I'm going upto 16" Load range E's so I have nearly
                  > 14,000 lbs of tires under my 10,400 lb trailer. I believe the Capri is
                  > substantially heavier than 5200 lbs. I do have a very stout heavy trailer with a

                • cavelamb
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 28, 2010
                    Who among us has a wing keel boat and a trailer?

                    I'm in the process (early still, but looking very good) of having a
                    trailer built for my boat.

                    Actually, it's already built, but the original customer was laid off and
                    can't finish it.
                    It's 35 feet long (for now!) with three 3500 pound axles.
                    After all the horror stories about tire problems, I don't think triple
                    is all that overkill.

                    The builder will modify as desired - but?
                    What is desired???

                    Bob Unkel has been most helpful measuring his set up and sharing.
                    (Thanks so much, Bob. that's the only numbers I have right now!)
                    I'll upload the drawings of his trailer to the group in case it might be
                    helpful to others.
                    Bear with me a bit on that?

                    I was thinking that it should be very straight forward to take those
                    dimensions and shorten
                    them by the difference between wing and fin (17 inches). But having
                    drawn up what comes
                    from that, I'm now not so sure...

                    We are doing pipe-in-a-pipe type supports with pads.

                    Problem I've run into is that shortening Bob's rig by 17 inches results
                    in pretty short outer pipes.
                    And the angle gets messed up as well.

                    And the back end of our boat is fairly small.
                    Meaning that the fat part of the boat has to pass through the aft
                    supports to get into place.

                    I've collected all the photos I can of Capri 26 trailer rigs.
                    Only three are wing keeled.
                    So...

                    Yonderling (not on the group?)

                    Tourist in Paradise!
                    and
                    Cuadillo!

                    Are my new best-est friends! (Hi ya'll!)

                    Your rigs use rollers, and have four contact points on each side.
                    We intend to use eight pads (four per side) in about the same places as
                    your rollers.

                    Is it possible that either of you have easy access to your trailer?

                    I'd like to compare some notes about the dimensions from your trailers
                    so I can check
                    my drawings.

                    If possible, check in here.

                    If not, I'll have to go with what I have and hope it works.

                    Oh!
                    Also, I need the "wingspan" of the wing for the keel support!
                    It's not in any of the documentation I've found so far.

                    Richard
                  • Artstree@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 29, 2010
                      Richard:

                      Sea Bell is a wing keel on a trailer with bunks. The first question you have to ask yourself is will you be launching from the trailer or just use it for storage and having a crane launch it. I launch all the time with my trailer. I will get some pics and dimensions on SB and forward them to you.

                      Art Harden
                      CCSA Commodore
                      Sea Belle - Capri 26 ~#151
                      937.885.9380 (o)
                      937.477.5544 (m)

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 29, 2010
                        Thank you, Art.
                        That would be really helpful.

                        It's a considerable sum of money for me, so I'd like to have as much
                        information as I can get to verify the numbers for my builder.

                        This trailer is built to travel, not just for storage.
                        As for launching and retrieving, we'll have to wait and see how brave I get.

                        :)

                        Richard