Re: [capri26] Boom kicker and gooseneck

  • cavelamb
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 31, 2010
      Hi Gary,

      At the bottom line, it's the bottom line.
      I have a small pension that gives me more time than money, but covers my needs - if I am frugal.
      A sailboat is hardly an inexpensive toy, but then I don't have any airplanes any more.
      So the boat doesn't seem so bad.

      I already have a vang installed, and the Garheuar setup duplicates that (for over $500).
      (It's more a rigid vang than a boom kicker)

      The boom kicker is less than $300 - with the extra equipment for the boom roll-lock.
      (which is the extra $100 that C.D. charges that S.O. doesn't include)

      In the end, I see it more as a safety device than a trim thing.
      I've had people release the wrong line at the wrong time. (that happens when you teach newbies)

      Since I often sail alone, and in wind that requires reefing (solo), and often carry too much sail for too long,
      it's one less thing that can go wrong.

      Richard

      I'm also over 6 feet tall, so being able to raise the boom above my head is a blessing.
      I don't know why its called a boom when it really goes "KLANK"!   (don't ask)
      Maybe that's a holdover term from the old wooden ships and iron men days?

      Gary Pack wrote:

      Richard, be interested in why the CD model versus a Garheuar or any other brand.

      Gary Pack

      On 7/29/10 1:02 PM, "cavelamb" <cavelamb@earthlink. net> wrote:

      Ok, I talked to Ted Corlett (owner of www.boomkicker. com) about it today.
      Yes, there is a difference in what is supplied with the "kits" from
      Catalina Direct and Sailboat Owners.

      C.D. does include the roll-stop hardware along with the kicker.
      S.O. does not.
      So it's not just markup that makes the price difference.

      Both now include the new "track fitting" that goes under the boom.
      This allows the boom to be raised a bit to belly the main, or clear the
      bimini, etc.

      And supposedly, the C.D. kit is already trimmed to length.
      Although Ted said that they really didn't have enough information on the
      26 to swear it's right.

      I'm going to order the C.D. kit and will document the process.
      Will report back here as it goes, and might be a tech article in it for
      the magazine?

      Richard

    • Jean Junker
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
        Richard & Etc. ,
        I am new to the C26 and just bought hull #101.
        I noted your post about a fitting that raises the boom to assist in
        clearing the Bimini. I plan on adding a Bimini before next summer, any
        feedback about how to or how not to do that would be appreciated as
        well as input about where to get a Bimini kit and what/how to measure
        for one.

        Via my iPhone.
        Jean Junker
        Texas near Austin.
        Mobile email: jeanjunker@...
      • cavelamb
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
        Hi Jean,
        Man, it was just too hot for me to stay out very long today.
        I've become such a pampered wus.
        It's only 107.

        For the Boom Kicker, start here:
        http://www.boomkicker.com/bk_pic.html

        This pic shows the original boom fitting. As you can see, the kicker
        fits into the slot and can be
        removed easily. Maybe too easily?
        http://www.boomkicker.com/images/Bkstudioboom.jpg

        This one is a C250 (longer shot, sorry) that shows the whole setup.
        The fitting under the boom has been replaced with a slide fitting that
        gives the boom more
        vertical motion without coming loose.
        See: http://www.boomkicker.com/bk_slide.html

        I ordered model K0800 from Catalina Direct.

        As for a bimini, there are a lot of choices.
        I bought the one for my 18 from iBoats.com and was satisfied.
        I'd always spring for stainless steel bows rather that cheaper aluminum.
        But there is no fixed rule that says you have to...

        Measuring:
        http://biminitops.iboats.com/BiminiTops/?session_id=804391954&cart_id=691662490
        Start with the desired width, as that drives everything else.
        Pretty much the wider the better, but of course don't interfere with
        winch handles, line routing, etc.
        Height can be adjusted DOWN (shortened) easily with a heavy duty tube
        cutter. All the fittings
        simply slide over the tubes to their proper places.

        Sunbrella is a good choice, but polyester will work well too, and it's a
        lot cheaper.
        I'd shy away from vinyl though.

        Positioning fore/aft is challenging if the frames are more than a
        certain length.
        The fabric will rub on the backstay when folded up, or it will not lay
        in the cockpit when laid forward.
        And the straps that hold it up will always be in the way!

        I solved mine by adding another tube to the back frame to hold the frame
        up permanently.
        I've not seen another sailboat set up that way, but the big ski boats do
        it all the time.
        It will stand up deployed without the straps at all. But needs one if
        the wind comes forward.
        Folded up, the bimini stands an inch or two forward of the backstay.
        Some day I want to replace the screws that hold the back struts to the
        frame with quick release pins.

        Photo is from Christmas time...

        --

        Richard Lamb
      • Gary Pack
        Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
          Re: [capri26] Boom kicker and gooseneck Richard, great analysis.  Might be good for my next project, but need to complete those current in progress.  Did you check eBay for maybe a better deal?

          Gary

          Ok, I talked to Ted Corlett (owner of www.boomkicker <http://www.boomkicker> .com) about it today.

          Message 5 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
            Gary Pack wrote:

            > Richard, great analysis. Might be good for my next project, but need
            > to complete those current in progress. Did you check eBay for maybe a
            > better deal?
            >
            > Gary

            No, I don't normally consider eBay.

            I did years ago when they first started up, but got burned several times.
            Small stuff, but still...

            You remember the old story about the expensive oats and the cheap oats?
            :)

            Richard