Lightning

  • Gary Pack
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
    Lightning Mark, I wish you success on your repairs.  I had a lightning strike 5 years ago while my boat was in its slip and it took out all electronics.  I just posted a few photos on the website and have also attached them.  With metal in the bottom paint, the force of the lightning flaked off a lot of the bottom paint.  Hopefully you have some insurance to cover your damage and will get a good bottom job to last for a few years and updated electronics.  I wish there was a good solution for prevention, but running cable all over the boat is not particularly pleasing from a cosmetic perspective; and since I am in fresh water, it isn’t a very good conductor.  Just hope it doesn’t strike the same place twice.

    Gary Pack
    Breezin’ Bye (270)

    Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2010
      Gary:
      You sure got hit!  WOW, now I am concerned about adding something to minimize it.  I had heard about using a car jumper cable hooked to the shrouds with the other end hooked to a chain in the water.  At least at the dock I would be protected OR else I will be the first one  hit?!  I used to have a bigger boat across the dock from me but they moved.  I hope that the trees on the higher hill on shore nearby continue to take the heat.
      Curious as to how they made the repairs.  Did they sand blast the bottom and then epoxy it to repair?  Your damage looked like the Catalina 25 that got hit in another marina on our lake. Bottom looked like swiss cheese.

      Hope that Mark had minimal damage and can get back in the water soon.

      Thanks for sharing,
      Bob