RE: [capri26] Tech Material

  • Stan Buck
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007

      Bob,

      I have a couple of questons:

      1)      Does anyone have a list for “winterizing” your engine/boat?

      2)      What about a list of “spring” opening procedures?

      3)      I seem to have a slow leak – at least my bilge pump got a workout this season – I think this is coming from the propeller shaft area – how do I replace this seal?

      4)      My fuel gauge appears to be broken – how do I repair this?

         Stan Buck

         Pastor, Sonrise Church

         www.sonrisechurch.info

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
        I won't be any help.  I have an outboard.
        B W

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 15, 2007

          Stan

          You probably have a stuffing box on the shaft. This can be adjusted. If you have the manuals it may tell you how. If not any marina should be able to do it. I went to a drip less shaft box for that reason. At the least you should change the oil, fuel and oil filters. And the raw water system should be winterized by running the motor with the hose from the raw water thru hole in a bucket of non toxic antifreeze for this purpose. When it starts to come out of the exhaust it is done.  I had the Gage problem and it was the sending unit on top of the fuel tank. It is hard to get to. Hope this was of some help. I suggest if you are not confident doing any of this you have a marina do it. A new motor is awfully expensive.

          Rich

          Sails Call

        • windseeker@fwi.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 15, 2007
            Stan,

            I assume you have an inboard engine. To winterize the engine, I take
            the hose off of the thru-hull fitting and put about 2 gallons of 100
            below marine antifreeze in a shallow tub, and while having someone
            watch outside to see when it comes out of the exhaust, start the
            engine and run until all is gone or ehaust water turns green. Of
            course this is done after pulling the boat for the season. Hope this
            helps.
            I may still have an article for replacing the packing gland on the
            shaft. I will look to see and send it to you. In the past I have
            also stopped the drip by tightening the packing gland nut.

            Doug Hosler
            windseeker@...

            >I won't be any help. I have an outboard.
            >B W

              Stan:
                  I am off to NC for a quick business trip, will respond when I get back.
              Bob unnkel
            • vargapj@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
                Stan:  I saw the answer on how to winterize the engine and that is the way to do it.  As for the packing gland:  it should leak some, maybe a few drops or so.  You do not want this so tight as to have not leak.  There are many articles about replacing it if you really want to.  Try to Google it.

                When I winterize my inboard, I also drain the water and hot water tanks and run the pink RV type anti freeze through them along with the head.  I also pour some in the sinks.  In 12 years, I've never had an issue (knock on wood).

                I guess by biggest issue with the Capri is taking the batteries out at the end of the season and then putting them back in at the beginning.  I can't risk leaving them in as my boat is in a storage facility and not where I could put a slow charger on them.

                Does anyone have a better way of moving the batteries or has anyone moved the batteries to be more accessible?  This is a real pain.

                Sad that the season has just ended for us in Colorado.

                Pete Varga
                Satin Sheets 148

                  Hope everyone had a great Labor Day and were able to spend the time on
                  their Capri 26. We are dealing with silting and a drought that has dropped
                  the lake so the season may be over early. It is something to run aground in
                  your own marina, first time in 17 years.

                  I NEED SOME TOPICS FOR THE TECH ARTICLES!!!! If you had some neat
                  modifications or some questions that would be of interest to the group,
                  PLEASES FORWARD THEM TO ME!!!

                  You have to be tired of hearing about my boat, so lets hear about
                  yours!!

                  Looking forward to hearing from you.

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Bob Unkel
                  Tech Editor Capri 26 Association

                  Stan:
                      Thanks to others in our association, they have given you a some answers to your questions. The following are some of my ideas on the topics:

                  Winterizing – For the Diesel, you need to run anti-freeze into the fresh water intake. Take the hose loose right above the thru hull fitting for the fresh water intake. Put the end of the hose in a bucket so it is near the bottom but not where suction from the hose will seal the hose against the bottom or side. Put about 1- 1 1/2 gallons of antifreeze mix in the bucket and start up the diesel. When the bucket is almost empty you should be seeing antifreeze fluid come out your exhaust. I normally use a environmentally friendly antifreeze like Zerex and mix it at 50/50 to get safe protection down to around minus 35F. You might be able to use “RV” antifreeze for water systems, but you won’t get the additives to coat the internals of the diesel system that are found in regular antifreeze.
                      You should also change our oil and oil filter before putting it away, this way you have fresh oil in the motor and fresh additives. Check the antifreeze in the closed cooling system to make certain it is full and effective. If you want to check  for how cold it is protected for, you can buy a simple antifreeze checking unit for a few bucks at an automotive parts store. They have several balls that float to indicate protection level.
                      While it is recommended that you fill the fuel tank, I have not always done it and have not had problems – yet?! I do make certain that I put in Diesel fuel stabilizer. I change the fuel filter in the spring to get all the junk out before I start it up for the first time. The book recommends that you fill the gear box all the way up for the winter and then remove some oil in the spring to get it back to the recommended level. I have yet to do this and our local yard also doesn’t do this to the boats they store.
                      For the fresh water system pump out all the fresh water and then run RV water system antifreeze in the system until it comes out of all faucets. Leave your drains and thru hulls open in case you get any water in side during the winter.
                      We cover all our cushions that are not removed with plastic bags. Christmas tree bags work well for the really big ones. Make certain they are dry prior to putting them away. I know some people that put charcoal inside to absorb odors, but we haven’t had a problem.
                      Make certain you get all traces of food off the boat. We had a little four legged visitor get on the boat one year and make a mess looking for food. We suspect he climbed up the straps that hold the boat on the trailer. Since then we take the straps loose so they would have to climb up the hull to get in. No problems since.

                  Spring Start-Up – Change the fuel filter and flush the fresh water system.

                  Leak-Like mentioned by others,  suspect it is coming from prop shaft packing nut. We have repacked ours a couple of times over the 17 years we have had the boat. It isn’t rocket science to do it, but you need to get the right size flax packing or your can buy one of the ‘drip-less’ conversions available. Make certain you check your keel bolts while you are in the area. We had to snug ours up one time. It is a challenge to get a wrench on them, but a good old fashioned crescent wrench will get to them with a little patience.

                  Fuel gage- I can’t add any more than already furnished. I may learn more next year, my gage is reading too high.

                  Hope this helps. Any questions, please let me know.

                • capri26owner@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 18, 2007
                    I winterized OASIS last weekend and have a couple of additional items to for the list:

                    -Add about a half gallon of the low tox (pink) antifreeze to the ice box and pump it out using the manual foot pump. This should prevent any freezing damage to the foot pump.

                    -Pump-out the head holding tank and add 1-2 gallons of the pink antifreeze into the toilet and pump it into the holding tank.

                    Oil Filter Change Tip: When changing the engine oil filter I took a 1/2 gallon plastic milk carton and cut away about half of it top-to-bottom. This created a troth that fit under the oil filter and captured all of the oil when removing the horizontal mounted filter. I'm probably not the first to try this, but it works, I didn't spill one drop of oil. I snapped a photo that I will post on the Yahoo site.  I think I'll add a new photo folder called "Tips and Tricks". If anyone else would like to contribute photos of things they have tried that work, please contribute photos.

                    I also mounted a Qwik Drain (http://qwikdrain.com/) pump on the bulk head in the engine compartment. I used the pump to drain the engine and transmission fluids into a 1-gallon milk plastic carton. The electric pump made fast work of the oil changes.

                    Mark
                    "OASIS" #296

[...]

                  • Mary Kinnunen and Jeff Eaton
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
                      Hello All,

                      Our boat is now resting in her cradle for another long sleep. That
                      means the 2007 drama and pathos is posted on You Tube.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB1ns4AD7E

                      Here's to next spring!

                      Mary, Jeff and Keksi
                      Revision