40Re: [capri26] Re: How Much Play is too much play?

    Apr 16, 2007
      Re: [capri26] Re: How Much Play is too much play? Tom:
          I am guessing that the 3/16” is at the tip end of the rudder rather than the clearance between the rudder post and the rudder tube in the hull. If my assumption is correct, then it is my humble opinion that you don’t have a problem and go sail the bottom off the boat! Some of the ‘slop’ you may be experiencing may be in the wheel mechanism. If the clearance is 3/16” between the rudder post and the rudder tube, then “Houston we have a problem”.

      Bob Unkel

       On 4/15/07 10:30 PM, "Tom Black" <uslaser@...> wrote:

      I checked the play in the rudder this weekend and it appears to be
      about 3/16" in any direction. I had a friend with me that is the
      current owner of a Catalina 34 and previous owner of a Catalina 30 and
      25. He had to shim the rudder of his 30 some years back so he has a
      little experience. He said he thought the rudder could use a shim or
      two but probably was not worth the trouble at this time. I am in a
      dilemma as we are quickly approaching sailing season and I was planning
      to leave the boat in the water for two sailing seasons if possible. Any

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic