33Re: [capri26] How Much Play is too much play?

    Apr 9, 2007
      Re: [capri26] How Much Play is too much play? On 4/8/07 11:00 PM, "Tom Black" <uslaser@...> wrote:

      Hello All,

      While preparing for bottom paint, I noticed the rudder has some play
      front to back, may be up and down. Does anyone know what is correct
      here. Is any play too much? or is some play typical?

      Thanks,

      Tom
       Tom:
          Just how much clearance do you have or what makes you think there is a problem? These things are not precision fit assemblies.
       There is some clearance between the rudder post and the housing in the hull. The vertical clearance is determined between the tiller fitting and the top of the rudder. There should be a ‘washer/shim’ between the top of the rudder  and the hull. It is like a big plastic washer.
          Do you have a tiller or wheel steering? If tiller you can remove the single bolt in the tiller fitting that bolts it to the rudder shaft and the rudder will drop down. It weighs about 40-50#. I can ‘rock’ my rudder back and forth with the tip of the rudder probably moving at least 1”. The rudder shaft housing in the hull is just fiberglass and there aren’t any ‘replaceable bearings’ in this assembly. If you have a lot of clearance, you might be able to use a strip of UHMW tape around the shaft or in the housing to take up excess clearance.
          As for a wheel steering, I haven’t had one apart so I can’t comment. I believe they put the sector gear below the deck and opened up the housing. The shaft is still supported top and bottom. Getting it out will involve tearing apart the wheel steering. Perhaps one of our other members has had this apart and can share their experience with you.