[Fwd: Re: ADsafe attack]

    Message 1 of 11 , May 21 12:09 PM
      --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, David-Sarah Hopwood <david.hopwood@...>
      wrote:
      > Any chance of an Object.__allKeys__(object) method, which ignores
      > DontEnum, in ES3.1?

      We are considering an Object.keys method, but it will only return the
      own, enumerable property names.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 21 12:13 PM
        wrote:
        > I'm not convinced that it is sufficiently robust to just check for
        > (this === window).

        Why? The test is intended to reject invocations of the method as a
        function. What cases are missed?
        Message 3 of 11 , May 21 12:14 PM
          On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
          <david.hopwood@...> wrote:
          > Any chance of an Object.__allKeys__(object) method, which ignores
          > DontEnum, in ES3.1?

          Yes! The about-to-be-specified Object.getProperties(obj) will provide
          a reflective description of all an object's own properties. This
          operation itself will not be visible from Caja, and I wouldn't
          recommend that it be visible from ADsafe, but in both cases it's
          useful within the runtime libraries of these secure subsets, to help
          enforce useful properties, as you explain.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 21 4:19 PM
            Mark S. Miller wrote:
            > On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
            > <david.hopwood@...> wrote:
            >> Any chance of an Object.__allKeys__(object) method, which ignores
            >> DontEnum, in ES3.1?
            >
            > Yes! The about-to-be-specified Object.getProperties(obj) will provide
            > a reflective description of all an object's own properties. This
            > operation itself will not be visible from Caja, and I wouldn't
            > recommend that it be visible from ADsafe, but in both cases it's
            > useful within the runtime libraries of these secure subsets, to help
            > enforce useful properties, as you explain.

            That's why I suggested a name using the __...__ convention.

            Otherwise, a subset language that does not do rewriting must do one of:
            - blacklist the name 'getProperties', which is ugly;
            - rebind 'Object' when running subset code, which does not have
            well-defined semantics and may cause compatibility problems;
            - block access to 'Object', which would not otherwise be necessary.

            Actually, a better idea would be to move *all* of the methods proposed
            to be added to Object, to a new global 'Reflect'. Rebinding 'Reflect'
            in order to provide tamed versions of these operations when running
            subset code would not have the same problems as rebinding 'Object',
            since 'Reflect' is not used for anything else.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 21 4:40 PM
              wrote:
              > That's why I suggested a name using the __...__ convention.
              >
              > Otherwise, a subset language that does not do rewriting must do one of:
              > - blacklist the name 'getProperties', which is ugly;
              > - rebind 'Object' when running subset code, which does not have
              > well-defined semantics and may cause compatibility problems;
              > - block access to 'Object', which would not otherwise be necessary.
              >
              > Actually, a better idea would be to move *all* of the methods proposed
              > to be added to Object, to a new global 'Reflect'. Rebinding 'Reflect'
              > in order to provide tamed versions of these operations when running
              > subset code would not have the same problems as rebinding 'Object',
              > since 'Reflect' is not used for anything else.

              Mark came up with a better idea: ADsafe denies any access to Object.
              Message 6 of 11 , May 21 5:17 PM
                > --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, David-Sarah Hopwood <david.hopwood@...>
                > wrote:
                >> That's why I suggested a name using the __...__ convention.
                >>
                >> Otherwise, a subset language that does not do rewriting must do one of:
                >> - blacklist the name 'getProperties', which is ugly;
                >> - rebind 'Object' when running subset code, which does not have
                >> well-defined semantics and may cause compatibility problems;
                >> - block access to 'Object', which would not otherwise be necessary.
                >>
                >> Actually, a better idea would be to move *all* of the methods proposed
                >> to be added to Object, to a new global 'Reflect'. Rebinding 'Reflect'
                >> in order to provide tamed versions of these operations when running
                >> subset code would not have the same problems as rebinding 'Object',
                >> since 'Reflect' is not used for anything else.
                >
                > Mark came up with a better idea: ADsafe denies any access to Object.

                I don't want to have to do that in Jacaranda (where it would otherwise
                be safe to allow first-class access to Object).