[Fwd: Re: ADsafe attack]

    Message 1 of 11 , May 21, 2008
      -------- Original Message --------
      From: Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>
      To: David-Sarah Hopwood <david.hopwood@...>,
      Mark Miller <erights@...>
      Subject: Re: ADsafe attack

      I found three of Firefox's Array methods return window when called as
      functions.
      ADSAFE is now wrapping them:

      var mozilla = function (name) {
      var method = Array.prototype[name];
      Array.prototype[name] = function () {
      if (this === window) {
      error();
      }
      return method.apply(this, arguments);
      };
      };

      mozilla('concat');
      mozilla('reverse');
      mozilla('sort');

      I am worried about the extra Array methods (map, reduce, et al) but I
      haven't found a hole yet.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 21, 2008
        Message 3 of 11 , May 21, 2008
          > I don't trust a blacklist approach to guard dot, so that would mean
          > outlawing dot except in a few specific cases, which would make use of
          > the language close to unbearable.
          >
          > So instead, I will fix Firefox:
          >
          > Array.prototype.concat = function () {
          > var concat = Array.prototype.concat;
          > return function () {
          > if (this === window) {
          > throw {
          > name: "ADsafe",
          > message: "ADsafe violation."
          > };
          > }
          > return concat.apply(this, arguments);
          > };
          > }();

          I'm not convinced that it is sufficiently robust to just check for
          (this === window). This should work:

          function robustify(aType, methodName) {
          var proto = aType.prototype;
          var oldMethod = proto[methodName];

          if ({}.__proto__ !== undefined) {
          aType.prototype[methodName] = function () {
          if (this.__proto__ !== proto) {
          throw {name: "ADsafe", message: "ADsafe violation."};
          }
          return oldMethod.apply(this, arguments);
          };
          } else {
          proto._type___ = proto;
          if (Object.dontEnum !== undefined) {
          Object.dontEnum(proto, '_type___');
          }
          aType.prototype[methodName] = function () {
          if (this._type___ !== proto) {
          throw {name: "ADsafe", message: "ADsafe violation."};
          }
          return oldMethod.apply(this, arguments);
          };

          robustify(Array, 'concat');

          However, without having a way to enumerate all of the functions,
          including undocumented ones, defined on the prototypes of
          {Object,Function,Array,String,Boolean,Number,Math,Date,RegExp,*Error},
          you still risk missing one that could potentially leak 'this'.

          Any chance of an Object.__allKeys__(object) method, which ignores
          DontEnum, in ES3.1?

          Message 4 of 11 , May 21, 2008
            --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, David-Sarah Hopwood <david.hopwood@...>
            wrote:
            > Any chance of an Object.__allKeys__(object) method, which ignores
            > DontEnum, in ES3.1?

            We are considering an Object.keys method, but it will only return the
            own, enumerable property names.
            Message 5 of 11 , May 21, 2008
              wrote:
              > I'm not convinced that it is sufficiently robust to just check for
              > (this === window).

              Why? The test is intended to reject invocations of the method as a
              function. What cases are missed?
              Message 6 of 11 , May 21, 2008
                On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
                <david.hopwood@...> wrote:
                > Any chance of an Object.__allKeys__(object) method, which ignores
                > DontEnum, in ES3.1?

                Yes! The about-to-be-specified Object.getProperties(obj) will provide
                a reflective description of all an object's own properties. This
                operation itself will not be visible from Caja, and I wouldn't
                recommend that it be visible from ADsafe, but in both cases it's
                useful within the runtime libraries of these secure subsets, to help
                enforce useful properties, as you explain.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 21, 2008
                  Mark S. Miller wrote:
                  > On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
                  > <david.hopwood@...> wrote:
                  >> Any chance of an Object.__allKeys__(object) method, which ignores
                  >> DontEnum, in ES3.1?
                  >
                  > Yes! The about-to-be-specified Object.getProperties(obj) will provide
                  > a reflective description of all an object's own properties. This
                  > operation itself will not be visible from Caja, and I wouldn't
                  > recommend that it be visible from ADsafe, but in both cases it's
                  > useful within the runtime libraries of these secure subsets, to help
                  > enforce useful properties, as you explain.

                  That's why I suggested a name using the __...__ convention.

                  Otherwise, a subset language that does not do rewriting must do one of:
                  - blacklist the name 'getProperties', which is ugly;
                  - rebind 'Object' when running subset code, which does not have
                  well-defined semantics and may cause compatibility problems;
                  - block access to 'Object', which would not otherwise be necessary.

                  Actually, a better idea would be to move *all* of the methods proposed
                  to be added to Object, to a new global 'Reflect'. Rebinding 'Reflect'
                  in order to provide tamed versions of these operations when running
                  subset code would not have the same problems as rebinding 'Object',
                  since 'Reflect' is not used for anything else.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 21, 2008
                    wrote:
                    > That's why I suggested a name using the __...__ convention.
                    >
                    > Otherwise, a subset language that does not do rewriting must do one of:
                    > - blacklist the name 'getProperties', which is ugly;
                    > - rebind 'Object' when running subset code, which does not have
                    > well-defined semantics and may cause compatibility problems;
                    > - block access to 'Object', which would not otherwise be necessary.
                    >
                    > Actually, a better idea would be to move *all* of the methods proposed
                    > to be added to Object, to a new global 'Reflect'. Rebinding 'Reflect'
                    > in order to provide tamed versions of these operations when running
                    > subset code would not have the same problems as rebinding 'Object',
                    > since 'Reflect' is not used for anything else.

                    Mark came up with a better idea: ADsafe denies any access to Object.
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 21, 2008
                      > --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, David-Sarah Hopwood <david.hopwood@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >> That's why I suggested a name using the __...__ convention.
                      >>
                      >> Otherwise, a subset language that does not do rewriting must do one of:
                      >> - blacklist the name 'getProperties', which is ugly;
                      >> - rebind 'Object' when running subset code, which does not have
                      >> well-defined semantics and may cause compatibility problems;
                      >> - block access to 'Object', which would not otherwise be necessary.
                      >>
                      >> Actually, a better idea would be to move *all* of the methods proposed
                      >> to be added to Object, to a new global 'Reflect'. Rebinding 'Reflect'
                      >> in order to provide tamed versions of these operations when running
                      >> subset code would not have the same problems as rebinding 'Object',
                      >> since 'Reflect' is not used for anything else.
                      >
                      > Mark came up with a better idea: ADsafe denies any access to Object.

                      I don't want to have to do that in Jacaranda (where it would otherwise
                      be safe to allow first-class access to Object).