Re: ADsafe and the Standard Globals

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
      --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "♘ stay" <stay@...> wrote:

      > Did you mean Math.PI, or is X.PI allowed for any X?

      Yes. It is in anticipation of a decimal package of some sort.
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
        > They are creatures of the DOM.

        I can see the B-movie poster now :-)

        More seriously, all of the objects that Doug just granted access to,
        with the exception of Date, provide no authority -- they only provide
        pure deterministic functions, constant values, and the ability to
        allocate objects of those types (if you don't count that as pure).
        I had come up with exactly the same list for Jacaranda -- except
        that I had accidentially missed out encodeURIComponent.

        Date is an exception just because it grants access to what the Javascript
        implementation thinks the current date/time is, which is technically an
        authority -- but not one that is significant for ADsafe's threat model.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
          On 10/04/2008, David-Sarah Hopwood
          <david.hopwood@...> wrote:

          > Douglas Crockford wrote:
          > > They are creatures of the DOM.
          >
          > I can see the B-movie poster now :-)
          >
          > More seriously, all of the objects that Doug just granted access to,
          > with the exception of Date, provide no authority -- they only provide
          > pure deterministic functions, constant values, and the ability to
          > allocate objects of those types (if you don't count that as pure).
          > I had come up with exactly the same list for Jacaranda -- except
          > that I had accidentially missed out encodeURIComponent.
          >
          > Date is an exception just because it grants access to what the Javascript
          > implementation thinks the current date/time is, which is technically an
          > authority -- but not one that is significant for ADsafe's threat model.

          Date also provides info about the user's locale, but so does Number to
          some degree.
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
            On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Kris Zyp <kris@...> wrote:
            > No confirm, alert, or prompt? Preventing annoyance exploits? ;) Or is there
            > another exploit I am not aware of?

            Currently, ADsafe is still approximately a subset of Caja. Were these
            added, it would cause significant breakage of the subset relationship.

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2008
              Mike Samuel wrote:
              > On 10/04/2008, David-Sarah Hopwood
              > <david.hopwood@...> wrote:
              >> Douglas Crockford wrote:
              >> > They are creatures of the DOM.
              >>
              >> I can see the B-movie poster now :-)
              >>
              >> More seriously, all of the objects that Doug just granted access to,
              >> with the exception of Date, provide no authority -- they only provide
              >> pure deterministic functions, constant values, and the ability to
              >> allocate objects of those types (if you don't count that as pure).
              >> I had come up with exactly the same list for Jacaranda -- except
              >> that I had accidentially missed out encodeURIComponent.
              >>
              >> Date is an exception just because it grants access to what the Javascript
              >> implementation thinks the current date/time

              and timezone

              >> is, which is technically an authority -- but not one that is significant
              >> for ADsafe's threat model.
              >
              > Date also provides info about the user's locale, but so does Number to
              > some degree.

              And Array.prototype.toLocaleString, and String.prototype.localeCompare.
              Thanks for pointing this out -- it's better to have any ambient authority
              that we decide to allow thoroughly documented.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11, 2008
                On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:13 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
                <david.hopwood@...> wrote:
                > >> More seriously, all of the objects that Doug just granted access to,
                > >> with the exception of Date, provide no authority -- they only provide
                > >> pure deterministic functions, constant values, and the ability to
                > >> allocate objects of those types (if you don't count that as pure).

                In addition to the violations noted later in this thread, there's also
                Math.random().

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 15, 2008
                  --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Samuel" <mikesamuel@...> wrote:
                  > > I am relaxing ADsafe to allow access to these standard globals:
                  > >
                  > > Array Boolean Date decodeURI decodeURIComponent encodeURI
                  > > encodeURIComponent Error escape EvalError isFinite isNaN
                  > > Math Number Object parseInt parseFloat RangeError
                  > > ReferenceError RegExp String SyntaxError TypeError unescape
                  > > URIError
                  >
                  > Is it really worth including {,un}escape in light of
                  > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yzah1fh(VS.85).aspx ?
                  > Is it a goal to support older versions of JS that don't have
                  > {de,en}codeURIComponent?

                  It is in the standard and it does not represent a leak. escape is not
                  recommended for encoding URLs, but can be used for encoding values in
                  cookies. Unless there is a stronger argument, I think it should be
                  allowed.

                  > Is RegExp.$1 is not allowed? If so, it may leak information from the
                  > last match performed by privileged code.

                  RegExp.$1 is not allowed because $1 is not the name of one of the
                  Math/Number constants.

                  RegExp['$1'] is not allowed because '$1' does not look like a
                  stringified number.

                  ADsafe.get(RegExp, '$1') is not allowed because RegExp is a function.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 15, 2008

                    > --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Samuel" <mikesamuel@...> wrote:
                    > > > I am relaxing ADsafe to allow access to these standard globals:
                    > > >
                    > > > Array Boolean Date decodeURI decodeURIComponent encodeURI
                    > > > encodeURIComponent Error escape EvalError isFinite isNaN
                    > > > Math Number Object parseInt parseFloat RangeError
                    > > > ReferenceError RegExp String SyntaxError TypeError unescape
                    > > > URIError
                    > >
                    > > Is it really worth including {,un}escape in light of
                    > > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yzah1fh(VS.85).aspx ?
                    > > Is it a goal to support older versions of JS that don't have
                    > > {de,en}codeURIComponent?
                    >
                    > It is in the standard and it does not represent a leak. escape is not
                    > recommended for encoding URLs, but can be used for encoding values in
                    > cookies. Unless there is a stronger argument, I think it should be
                    > allowed.

                    I have no stronger argument than, in code I review, it is much more
                    frequently misused than used properly.

                    If the goal is to allow all innocuous ES built-ins, then it should be allowed.

                    > > Is RegExp.$1 is not allowed? If so, it may leak information from the
                    > > last match performed by privileged code.
                    >
                    > RegExp.$1 is not allowed because $1 is not the name of one of the
                    > Math/Number constants.
                    >
                    > RegExp['$1'] is not allowed because '$1' does not look like a
                    > stringified number.
                    >
                    > ADsafe.get(RegExp, '$1') is not allowed because RegExp is a function.

                    Cool.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 15, 2008
                      On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Douglas Crockford
                      <douglas@...> wrote:
                      > > Is it really worth including {,un}escape in light of
                      > > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yzah1fh(VS.85).aspx ?
                      > > Is it a goal to support older versions of JS that don't have
                      > > {de,en}codeURIComponent?
                      >
                      > It is in the standard [...]

                      I just looked. They are not in the normative part of the ES3 spec.
                      They appear only in Annex B. (B.2.1 & B.2.2)

                      They have never appeared in the Caja whitelist, and probably never
                      will. So they are not in any of the normative supersets of ADsafe.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 15, 2008
                        --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "Mark S. Miller" <erights@...> wrote:
                        > I just looked. They are not in the normative part of the ES3 spec.
                        > They appear only in Annex B. (B.2.1 & B.2.2)
                        >
                        > They have never appeared in the Caja whitelist, and probably never
                        > will. So they are not in any of the normative supersets of ADsafe.

                        And they are no longer in ADsafe. JSLint will flag them in all cases.